M 16

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
jeremyb

M 16

Post by jeremyb »

Our local police department got some m16 rifles that had the select fire disabled making them semi auto. Think any if these rifles may ever be available like the WWII rifles were? Or are the days of surplus rifles over?

JB
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: M 16

Post by millman »

We won't be seeing any m16s.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Good luck waiting for that, by the time Uncle is done with they they are falling apart, plastic and aluminium are not the materials of forever.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
dou44

Post by dou44 »

i had to haul a 5 ton truck loaded with them back when the army changed over to the m2 version in the early 90's .it was a couple hundred rifles. the invoice on them from colt showed that thet cost the goverment $300 each new .i never did like the 3 round burst on them.the a1 was full auto and it would empty a 30 mag fast.
Homer2

Post by Homer2 »

Haha! No. Once a select fire, always a select fire. Never see a M14 either.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Uncle doesn't trust his soldiers with full auto infantry rifles, our enemies on the other hand get all the full auto AK's they want. Last A1 I saw a friend of mine had while in the guard, there was tape holding that weapon together, the stock was crap.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Lot of M14 parts kits built on commercial produced receivers, that's as close to a M14 as you will legally get unless you are licensed to own one of the very few GI M14's out there.
Theodore Roosevelt
A J

Post by A J »

jeremyb wrote:Our local police department got some m16 rifles that had the select fire disabled making them semi auto. Think any if these rifles may ever be available like the WWII rifles were? Or are the days of surplus rifles over?

JB
I was actually thinking the same thing though any such move would probably decades away. M16s make nice target rifles and would dovetail nicely with CMP's mission. A couple things would have to happen first:

1. The AR platform would have to be replaced with something better and time would have to pass making the AR look "old". (Currently, the bullpup designs of the Brits, French and Isreali's are probably a better rifle than the AR.)

2. We'd have to be in a political climate that would approve of such sales.

3. The rifles would (of course) have to be converted to semi-auto only.

Incidentally, I don't know any more about this than anyone else. It's just my hunch.
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

I doubt our clueless leaders in the federal government would ever let any more american milsurps see the light of day. Quite frankly I am astounded that the CMP is still operating.
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
A J

Post by A J »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Good luck waiting for that, by the time Uncle is done with they they are falling apart, plastic and aluminium are not the materials of forever.
THe AR platform is nice but... as you say, it's a fairly fragile rifle in comparison to some of their old WWII counterparts and not quite as reliable.

On my very first combat mission in Iraq was riding in the back of an MRAP armored personnel carrier. I heard a thump noise, looked down and saw my Army-issued $500 red-dot scope laying on the floor. The stupid thing just fell off for no reason. Just about all the troops who carried kept scopes on their ARs tied them on with parachute cord. I thought it was pretty sad that the issued rifle wasn't even stabile enough to hold an accessory. I used iron sights for the rest of my tour. Even then, I always checked and re-checked my rear sight carry handle to ensure the locking nuts were tight.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not every old weapons platform was perfect, in the winter of '44 the M3 "grease guns" had to be cleaned of all lubrication because the grease issued for them would lock them up. A friends dad carried one and let loose with a string of great language when I asked him about it. He hated it ( Tanker) he picked up a Garand and carried it for the remainder of the war, loved it.
Theodore Roosevelt