Polish trainers

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
bocephus

Polish trainers

Post by bocephus »

Royal Tiger has Polish .22 trainers for $250 shipped, they claim they are in excellent condition. That price is cheaper than GB currently.
Celt

Re: Polish trainers

Post by Celt »

Thanks for the heads up. No money on this end though.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Get a couple at that price :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Its tax time and I owe so I don't see it happening now!
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:big shock: :lol:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

I hadn't considered getting more than one. With shipping these seem to be going for around 300 lately at other places.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

They are some fun .22s, it was the first rifle my boy ever shot.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

Okay I got it today, 1954, numbers matching. I think the "excellent" rating is a bit of an exaggeration. I'd probably call it good. After I dis and reassemble and clean it up I'll post pics and see what you guys think.

22 barrels are a little tough to see down but from what I can see so far I'd probably call the rifling excellent.
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

bocephus wrote:Okay I got it today, 1954, numbers matching. I think the "excellent" rating is a bit of an exaggeration. I'd probably call it good. After I dis and reassemble and clean it up I'll post pics and see what you guys think.

22 barrels are a little tough to see down but from what I can see so far I'd probably call the rifling excellent.
cool.. lets see those pics.. :thumbsup:
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

Okay here's the pics. Overall pretty good shape, has some weird round marks on the one side of the stock and normal wear on some of the metal. The barrel is in great shape, very clean.

I've read complaints with these on forums of light or even unsafe trigger pulls and FTFs on these so I took it out today to try it out. No problems at all, I actually really liked the trigger pull on it. I also beat on the side of it with my palm while it was cocked without a problem.

I don't know if I'm doing it right but I found loading rounds to be a little cumbersome with gloves on.

BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

As for the loading problem...I think it is because you are left handed. :chuckles:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Veers57

Post by Veers57 »

Nice rifle. Is it a single shot or does it have an internal magazine similar to the Mosin Nagant?

Good to see another left handed shooter.
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

Yeah shooting it backwards might be my problem...

It's a single shot and pretty fun to shoot. I foresee this one getting a lot of use.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

They are out of stock. :vsad:
Fortunately, I got one from my buddy at the same price. They are VERY cool little rifles. One problem is there is NO manual available for them and taking the bolt apart and putting it in and out of the rifle can be a real problem. Here's some info my buddy sent me:

The .22 is set up with blue loctite on the receiver screws and bolt threads so you don't need to tighten or adjust anything unless it comes loose.
Keep the rear part of the bolt sideways and the bolt handle up when you insert or remove the bolt. Only use the safety when the gun is cocked. Never lower the rear piece with a round in the chamber because the firing pin will be resting against the rim. Never cock the gun with the safety UP because the bolt will jam in the receiver. If you forget and jam the bolt just tap it forward with a plastic hammer. Don't try to beat it out to the rear or it'll just jam worse. I had to remove the bolt from six of these guns for my LGS when AIM was selling them. I charge $50 for this service.
Remember that you can't insert, remove, or cock the bolt with the safety in the UP/ON position and you'll never have a problem.
------------------------------------
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

Thanks for the info, it took me a little while to figure out how to operate. I'm still not sure what the safe position is.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

That is a neat rifle. I have considered one of them or one of the Romanian trainers.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

It amazes me that there are still some of these around after all the years the first ones came on board. They were sold for 3 for $150 by Gibbs rifles the first time I saw them many years ago. I bought 3 and found them to be kind of cumbersome to load but one of the three was a great shooter and the other 2 were trade fodder years later. It has been found that some of them were machined with oversized chambers which allowed the ammo to swell quite a bit and made them not too good as shooters. Some were spot on for accuracy though. There is some deal where there is some kind of hunter stamp or something on them which will tell where they were in the manufacturing run and make certain ones more desirable or worth more. Forget what that deal was though.

The first time I took one of them apart I had quite a job figuring how to get it properly back together so read and use the above description to reassemble it I would say. Nice little first gun for a kid but at $250 it is much easier and cheaper to buy an older US made rifle. I do like the idea of being a single shot for a beginner though as it slows them down and maybe it will teach them to think about what they are doing and learn good habits for shooting better. I wonder how long they will be around again? Whoops I see they are out already! Can't be many of them around anymore for sure as it has to be 20 years ago when I got mine. Bill :wink:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

There are a lot of them around, I suspect that at some point the commies couldn't afford the big rifles and ammo so they armed everyone with a .22, and just gave big rifle to the soldiers the press and tourists saw :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

zeebill wrote:It amazes me that there are still some of these around after all the years the first ones came on board. They were sold for 3 for $150 by Gibbs rifles the first time I saw them many years ago. I bought 3 and found them to be kind of cumbersome to load but one of the three was a great shooter and the other 2 were trade fodder years later. It has been found that some of them were machined with oversized chambers which allowed the ammo to swell quite a bit and made them not too good as shooters. Some were spot on for accuracy though. There is some deal where there is some kind of hunter stamp or something on them which will tell where they were in the manufacturing run and make certain ones more desirable or worth more. Forget what that deal was though.

The first time I took one of them apart I had quite a job figuring how to get it properly back together so read and use the above description to reassemble it I would say. Nice little first gun for a kid but at $250 it is much easier and cheaper to buy an older US made rifle. I do like the idea of being a single shot for a beginner though as it slows them down and maybe it will teach them to think about what they are doing and learn good habits for shooting better. I wonder how long they will be around again? Whoops I see they are out already! Can't be many of them around anymore for sure as it has to be 20 years ago when I got mine. Bill :wink:
Bill: After buying one I did some intensive research on them. The lack of a manual or any documentation was most frustrating :very mad: .
There was also mention among those who shot it of an accuracy issue. And it is related to the info you posted here. Seems this gun does NOT like low power/low pressure ammunition. It needs hi power/hi pressure/hi speed ammo in order for the brass to expand and seal the chamber. If you use low pressure ammo the bullet tends to "rattle" down the bore and accuracy is horrendous. So using cheap/crappy ammo is not gonna work well with these rifles. I only bought it because it looks just like an M44 carbine (I think the stock is identical, just shortened and cut out differently for the trigger mechanism and no magazine). I already had a nice CZ .22 rifle with a Mannlicher stock, but this one I just couldin't resist. Mine has a "blond" stock, I'd like to get another one with a brown stock to match the Mosins.