Hoppes Bore Snake

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
optikalillushun

Hoppes Bore Snake

Post by optikalillushun »

Anyone use a Hoppes Bore Snake to clean thier MN or othermil surps? I picked one up in .30 cal to try it out. Its about 6 foot long, the first 3 or so feet are thing rope with a brass weight to get through the barrel and then steps up into a thick web rope with a built in bore brush and then another 3 or so feet of the thick web rope. Seems like a good way to do a quick field cleaning of a mil surp. I tried it on my MN 91/30 and it worked pretty well. I just sprayed some bore cleaned through the barrel (all this is done reciever end first) and let it soak about a minute then ran the bore snake through 3 times. Seemed to clean it up pretty well. I dont break any of my guns down for a throrough cleaning each shoot just run the bore snake through, then once every few months if i use it often ill break it down for a thorough cleaning. Its washable also, and IMO at the least will get the powder residue and crude out if a good cleaning isnt practicial. I wouldnt use it if i was shooting corrosive just because after running it through the salts make still be left on the rope and can cross contaminate.

http://www.hoppes.com/boresnake/featured/the-boresnake
To many to list, many more to get, not enough money :-D
Veers57

Re: Hoppes Bore Snake

Post by Veers57 »

I have a Boresnake for my .30cal and .22cal rifles and a .40cal for my handgun. They seem to work good, especially in the field. I prefer to carry my .22cal boresnake when I'm in the field with the National Guard, easier than assembling junk cleaning rods they issue with our M-4s. I use the boresnake in between the zeroing and qualifying ranges.

While the boresnake is good, I do prefer brushes for deeper cleaning. However right now I don't have a good single piece cleaning rod. My brass segmented cleaning rod broke; the threads stripped on two of the segments.

I don't think we're alone in using them.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Not sure I'd use a boresnake after corrosive ammo.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No, never used one, I use a one piece cleaning rod with a jag and patches.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
breckenridge

Post by breckenridge »

I have three of them (.30, .22, .17). As others have mentioned they're good for a quick clean and are really handy in the field, but they leave a LOT of residue and copper fouling behind. I use an Otis flex-rod cleaning kit with brushes and patches for thorough cleaning, once you start pulling patches through you quickly see how much the boresnake has left behind.

I've heard of stories where the pull cord has ripped off the snake leaving a pain in the arse situation in the barrel, but I don't really see that happening unless you're using a wrong-sized one or one in bad shape. Operator error I'd assume.
1933 M91/30 Izhevsk laminate
1948 M44 Izhevsk
1955 M44 Romanian
Augmister

Post by Augmister »

I have bore snakes for all of my firearms except the 91/30 and M-44. Shooting jacked ammo, a squirt of Breakfree and the "Snake" and most of the time, I am good to go after a day at the range. Just don't want to risk leaving anything behind with the Russians...quick douche with water at the range and then straight home where they both get the rod.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

[quote="breckenridge"]I have three of them (.30, .22, .17). As others have mentioned they're good for a quick clean and are really handy in the field, but they leave a LOT of residue and copper fouling behind. I use an Otis flex-rod cleaning kit with brushes and patches for thorough cleaning, once you start pulling patches through you quickly see how much the boresnake has left behind.

Exactly why I choose not to use a bore snake. You change patches when you clean with a rod, now what are you supposed to do with a bore snake that is now filthy? I have crindged watching people pull their bore snakes through at the range when they are color of asphalt. It can't help but take crap from one rifle to another so if you clean a corrosive rifle and then go to the next one that shoots non-corossive you have to have contaminated it. The stainless or FRP rod you clean with has a new patch every once in awhile and the rod carries little contaminents with it and is quick and easy to wipe clean with a patch from time to time. I leave my cruddy and oily patches at the range but with a snake I have to take it with me. Just too many negatives for me but to each his own I guess. Bill :wink:
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

[quote="breckenridge"]I have three of them (.30, .22, .17). As others have mentioned they're good for a quick clean and are really handy in the field, but they leave a LOT of residue and copper fouling behind. I use an Otis flex-rod cleaning kit with brushes and patches for thorough cleaning, once you start pulling patches through you quickly see how much the boresnake has left behind.

Exactly why I choose not to use a bore snake. You change patches when you clean with a rod, now what are you supposed to do with a bore snake that is now filthy? I have crindged watching people pull their bore snakes through at the range when they are color of asphalt. It can't help but take crap from one rifle to another so if you clean a corrosive rifle and then go to the next one that shoots non-corossive you have to have contaminated it. The stainless or FRP rod you clean with has a new patch every once in awhile and the rod carries little contaminents with it and is quick and easy to wipe clean with a patch from time to time. I leave my cruddy and oily patches at the range but with a snake I have to take it with me. Just too many negatives for me but to each his own I guess. Bill :wink:
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

OK, Guys,
look at the history of rifle cleaning tools: There is no "snake" for cleaning military rifles!...at least as far as I know.
Ropes have been used as a pull-through item with, one tool attached. Also aluminum part chains to avoid hurting the rifling while pulling one tool.
Integrating tools into the very thing itself must have been a business idea, not taking into consideration the different kinds of weapons and-or ammo and the residue to be cleaned up.
Using this thing in a Mosin crudded with corrosive residue makes me shudder.....can you put it in a washing machine?
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!
breckenridge

Post by breckenridge »

They say you can wash them - I just do it by hand with dish soap, rinse it thoroughly, and let it dry for a day or two. Still, they're only OK for a quick clean...
1933 M91/30 Izhevsk laminate
1948 M44 Izhevsk
1955 M44 Romanian
jonnyboy091373

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

I wouldnt want to use it as my only means of cleaning, but for quick clean ups, it should work ok. Granted I have never used one, so I cant speak with any authority. I do like the otis system though, and it is portable as well.
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

I use one at the range for a range cleaning before I leave to come home. I still do a traditional clean when I get home though. They don't work as good as they do on a smooth bore shotgun, but they do make cleaning a little faster.
optikalillushun

Seems a few people had em break off in AR rifles from what i seen. Like i said i wouldnt use one if i was shooting corrosive but i dont shoot corrosive much so i just use it as a quick clean. I try not to shoot my MN or SKS much, as im afraid to damage the stock, where we shoot the terrain is unforgiving...but on my WASR or Marlin 30/30 i use it. I usually run it through quick before i go out and after then once every 4-5 shoots i break it down for a barrel scrub...i do take out the gas piston n tube on the AK every time to wipe it down. Even after a few snake'ns i run a patch through and its pretty clean after. I just wash it in a basin with warm water and dawn every other time (tide is to expensive :lol: and hard to find).
optikalillushun

Seems a few people had em break off in AR rifles from what i seen. Like i said i wouldnt use one if i was shooting corrosive but i dont shoot corrosive much so i just use it as a quick clean. I try not to shoot my MN or SKS much, as im afraid to damage the stock, where we shoot the terrain is unforgiving...but on my WASR or Marlin 30/30 i use it. I usually run it through quick before i go out and after then once every 4-5 shoots i break it down for a barrel scrub...i do take out the gas piston n tube on the AK every time to wipe it down. Even after a few snake'ns i run a patch through and its pretty clean after. I just wash it in a basin with warm water and dawn every other time (tide is to expensive :lol: and hard to find).
andrewd41

Post by andrewd41 »

I have and use one. These are great. They have 2 embedded brass brushes that help clean the bore in the one direction you pull the snake through. If you are worried about the salts residue, just rinse it in the sink and hang dry for next use.
entropy

Post by entropy »

I have a couple in .30, .38/9mm, .45 and .22. The .22 one has seen the most use, at 4-H shoots. They're handy at the range, but nothing substitutes for a good cleaning with a one-piece cleaning rod, a good jag and brush, and the right solvent and lube.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
finloq

Post by finloq »

I use it in the field after spraying Hoppes down the barrel. When I get home, I use a 1 piece coated Tipton rod with jags and brushes.
Very important boys. Make sure to clean your snake.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
countryboy3006

Post by countryboy3006 »

I tired the .30 cal bore snake on my Mosin but it didnt seem to fit tight enough to do a good job of cleaning the bore. Now I have an 8mm on that I just use on my Mosin rifles it does a good job for a quick cleaning. Also the bore snakes can just be bound up with a rubberband and thrown in the washing machine. I have a .22 and 12 ga both of them work great. i use the 22 between full cleanings with a rod and patches but the 12 ga is the only thing I use on my shotgun. On the smooth bore it does just as good a job as anything else in a lot less time.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Shotgun patches get expensive, bore snake could come in handy there.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt