This Ammo Thing Is Crazy !!!!!!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Geek

Re: This Ammo Thing Is Crazy !!!!!!

Post by Geek »

What we are seeing now is not crazy, but a completely rational response to the political environment. Lot's of folks have suddenly realized that they either may not be able to get what they want in the future, or will be able to get it with much more bureaucratic difficulty, so they have accelerated their purchases, or decided to stock more than they otherwise would have, and they have decided to do it ASAP. The supply chain from manufacturer to LGS, and everything in between, was caught flat footed, right as everyone was ready to take some holiday vacation.

To the extent regulatory changes occur (so far NY only) the panic buys may be less painful than the subsequent bureaucracy. To the extent the changes turn out to be overblown, I think some folks will decide to keep a larger inventory permanently, while others may slowly draw down what they bought.

Despite this change in buying patterns, eventually manufacturers and their distribution channel will catch up, albeit sooner for some products than others. Have patience. Supply will come back and then prices will slowly stabilize.
Simo

Post by Simo »

TopperT wrote:Dick's Sporting Goods here had Winchester Black .22lr (1250 fps /40 grn) on sale for $99.00/2000 rounds in the plastic ammo cans. I picked up 5. Why would any (semi) sane individual buy up that much .22? Because other idots were cleaning out all the bulk ammo :chuckles: . Here, one cannot find ANY .223 or 9mm. N O N E!.

On Saturday I was at a Gun show. Fellow had a pallet stacked head high with crates of 7.62 x 54 r. I immediatly made a bee-line for him and paid $ 199.00 per crate. I got two. Killed the gun fund but............ I inked my name on them and set them aside with a SOLD sign. Two hours later there were the ONLY two crates left. :spam2: were going $ 120.00 each :beek: Thats $ 240.00 for 880 rounds, so clearly the crate deal was the best of a bad situation.

The current panic is stupid in so many ways......BUT.....who the hell knows whats gonna happen? Never thought things would get like they are.........I live in urban coastal Massachusetts on the RI border. Guns are FLYING off shelves, ammo is very hard to find and 7.62x54r is impossible to get. :devil2:
it has been this way every four years since I can remember. the idiots come out to buy at election time. wait a few months and thing will chill out and the hoarders will be selling what they bought for pennies on the dollar to pay off loans and mortgages etc.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." -Declaration of Independence
Simo

Post by Simo »

remember when O first ran? one day 1k of x39 was $150 and he got in and the next day 1k was averaging $350 2 months later.......$200 per 1k, they ran with the extra $50 because people were happy to pay $200 for what was $350 the other day. this is the best way to up the value of our hobby......Freaking nut jobs overpaying at election time :shifty:
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." -Declaration of Independence
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Simo wrote:remember when O first ran? one day 1k of x39 was $150 and he got in and the next day 1k was averaging $350 2 months later.......$200 per 1k, they ran with the extra $50 because people were happy to pay $200 for what was $350 the other day. this is the best way to up the value of our hobby......Freaking nut jobs overpaying at election time :shifty:
Wheter the "panic" buying was "rational" or not will be told in time. Like Jim, I beleive that by the Summer, supplies will be back, but the price will reflect our willingness to stand in line to pay more for it.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
rideandslidejim

Post by rideandslidejim »

I'm lucky i stocked up on my Mosin ammo, i'm ordered and on the waiting list for 22lr online, so hope and wait ???? Still can't believe it !!!!

Jim
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
Detour Rd.

Post by Detour Rd. »

I'll just keep sharp with my pellot rifles. My one.22 Diana 350 magnum steps out at 1050 fps. Good enough till the panic ends.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have enough black powder on hand, lots of lead to cast musket balls and several flinters to shoot them in,
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

Gun sales and ammo sales definitely shoot up every election especially if a known gun hater wins, but to compare the current situation to that is naive. Every gun manufacturer, retailer, and online dealer has stated very publicly that they have never seen anything close to this. This is not simple fear or unfounded panic either. Never before have so many polititians been so out i the open with their intentions to greatly restrict or outright take away our 2nd amendment rights (obviously much of what they want will never happen). With what has alraedy happened in NY and is certain to happen in other progressive leaning states it is clear that gun rights are endangered for many Americans. While most states and likely the federal government will not be able to push this stuff through, the fact that a big state like NY is in a well justified frenzy will assuradly have an affect on what those in other states are able to get and what they pay to get it. I sure hope this all passes soon, but I am not holding my breath :tongue:
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They are arming up for war, the apocalypse, or because they are free Americans and want to. Politicians should pay close attention, this gun grab is a huge vote of no confidence in their ability to protect and defend the people. We will just have to get used to a new reality until ammo company's catch up. If you need ammo badly enough you will find it even if you have to pay the scalpers 4x retail on GB, that would be for anyone who has a rifle but no basic battle load of ammo on hand. Give it time and we will have ammo back, just not at yesterdays prices, all because of one squirrel brain who wasn't locked up and medicated, and went on a killing spree,
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

I am stealing the term squirrel brain
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I stole it from someplace, don't remember were, probably one of the NYPD guys, they have a nice term for everything.
Theodore Roosevelt
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

The men blue use the blue language as well lol.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That happens every damn day.
Theodore Roosevelt
Detour Rd.

Post by Detour Rd. »

One thing I can say is that I have always had a basic combat load for all that I own. I have had a certain concern about this country for some years now just watching how things have been going since the first so called "assault " weapons ban. Just after the first ban a nearby gun store had crates of SKS's for sale for $198. I was only browsing with some friends and stumbled across this sale. You know it when you see it and brought one home. Some years later after stashing 1500 rounds and two 20 round and two 30 round magazines(illegal) I sold it to one of my boys. He now has 3200 rounds stored up.
I now have 2-1/2 basic loads of .223 for the Mini-14. 500 rounds of 8mm for, you guessed it. 1300 rounds of 54 rimmed and 300 rounds of .303. Several thousand of .22 and 400 of .22 magnum. Not counting my hand gun loads in .38, 357, and .45 long colt. Not to forget the 12 gauge.
If it was truely needed it would be the Lee Enfields as I'm too far in years for close relationships. Not that I couldnt its just the younger fellas could run me down.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Enfield is a good rifle, fast action, good feel to the weapon, problem is resupply, .303 is not easy to find anymore once that 300 rounds is gone.
Theodore Roosevelt
Simo

Post by Simo »

hoshow wrote:Gun sales and ammo sales definitely shoot up every election especially if a known gun hater wins, but to compare the current situation to that is naive. Every gun manufacturer, retailer, and online dealer has stated very publicly that they have never seen anything close to this. This is not simple fear or unfounded panic either. Never before have so many polititians been so out i the open with their intentions to greatly restrict or outright take away our 2nd amendment rights (obviously much of what they want will never happen). With what has alraedy happened in NY and is certain to happen in other progressive leaning states it is clear that gun rights are endangered for many Americans. While most states and likely the federal government will not be able to push this stuff through, the fact that a big state like NY is in a well justified frenzy will assuradly have an affect on what those in other states are able to get and what they pay to get it. I sure hope this all passes soon, but I am not holding my breath :tongue:
they also use the same "we will lose" propaganda every four years. I used to work gun shows and the weekend seller uses these same rumors to manipulate the paranoid. the only way we will lose our 2A rights is if we keep sitting around with our thumbs up our ass assuming voting still works. a reaction is caused by an action and it is obvious that voting is no longer an action. but I won't go too much further with this as it will end up a political rant and will be in Violation of forum policy.
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

Yup. So much wrong in the political spectrum we wouldn't know where to start my friend.
andrewd41

Post by andrewd41 »

Start here...

"Smithers, release the hounds !"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:lol:
Theodore Roosevelt
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

"Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War"

Old Bill Shakespear had it right. Joe Biden says that what their proposing won't work.......ok Joe, then why the FU8* you proposing it? The drums are sounding. Wise men in elected positions would do well to heed the sound. ;mywink;
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"