My Nagant..

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Mosin-FAL

Re: My Nagant..

Post by Mosin-FAL »

I have lemon oil, maybe I'll give it a good wipe down.

Next question.. The muzzle obviously was re-crowned. Shiny, un-blued. Normal? I would have theought they would have blued it after the counter bore/crown.
cj1964

Post by cj1964 »

That shellac looks great on a nice clean refurb, but my experience is that it's not very thick or durable! Once you've got some damage (scratches/gouge) lemon oil and a paper towel are enough to take away a little more shellac around the edges and thus I agree - those bubbles will blend out with cleaning/time and not look so bad.
rideandslidejim

Post by rideandslidejim »

At least from my Chinese # 53 the muzzle is shinny on the very end , and they have supposed not to have been refurbished. So just because it's shiny mean crowned ??????

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
Mosin-FAL

Post by Mosin-FAL »

This is mine, looks like a fresh crowning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rideandslidejim

Not being any kind of a expert ( there are many here ) i would say you are correct, as it looks like a fresh refurb.

Jim
rideandslidejim

Is there any counter boreing? ( does the rifling come all the way up to the muzzle ) ?

Jim
Mosin-FAL

Post by Mosin-FAL »

Thats why I wondered if they blued then counter bored and crowned it. Got it at Big 5 still covered in cosmo so someone else didnt do it.
Mosin-FAL

Post by Mosin-FAL »

honestly I cant tell if it's counter bored. How deep does that go?

Never mind, not counter bored, a bullet wont drop all the way in.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Big 5 rifles are from century or from PW arms. They are all arsenal refinished and some are counterbored and some are not. There used to be a chance of getting a non refurbed from them that slipped by but chances are getting slimmer. The rifles from big 5 are the same as everywhere else. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Mosin-FAL

Post by Mosin-FAL »

It's through CAI. Not counter bored. I was just wondering why the muzzle wasnt blued like the rest. Not a big deal, just made me curious is all.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

It likely was polished to take the nicks out of it when refurbed. The bluing on most rifles dissappears from that area when shot first anyway. I am sure they polished it up to take the nicks out. I have 10 91/30s lined up and there is not a whole lot of difference between the refurbed and non refurbed, just a little patina. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I've had a couple of refurbs with the shiny end of the muzzle and they were from different importers. I would say the just cleaned up a slightly damage muzzle after blueing but still during the refurb process. Not sure why they did it in that order.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Mosin-FAL

Post by Mosin-FAL »

Thats cool, thanks
Mosin-FAL

Post by Mosin-FAL »

A few more pics of random markings
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice clear tang marking on that one :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt