My Nagant..

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Mosin-FAL

My Nagant..

Post by Mosin-FAL »

Sadly, I bubbled some of the finish while getting the cosmoline off. Didnt know shellac would do that. Although from what I found out, it will wear off there anyway. I dont have safe queens :-)

Anyway, some pics here. http://www.mysticspeed.com/Nagantpics/index.html
Any more marking you want pics of I can get :-) Still havent shot it, maybe friday morning.

Gary

Oh yeah, I found what looks like scuff marks on the receiver interesting.. ideas?
desdem12

Re: My Nagant..

Post by desdem12 »

I will agree with the scuff marks. Not sure what you used on the stock to clean it but i just use a rag or paper towels to wipe off the cosmo. The metal also cleans fairly easy. Looks nice but can't tell what year it is. Welcome to the forum :thumbsup: :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Mosin-FAL

Post by Mosin-FAL »

1929. I just used heat to get the como out of the stock.. 1st side went fine, hair to warm on the other side I guess.. :-(
added another pic
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Well lesson learned there i guess. It will wipe off fine i have found. Wait till you get a nice balkans rifle that is caked with goo from 100 years. :thumbsup: :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Mosin-FAL

Post by Mosin-FAL »

It wiped off for the most part, but it still was coming out of the wood. WIth the 100*+ temps here I really didnt want it oozing when it was in a 200* trunk. A question, are stock for round and hex receivers the same? I missed out when AIM had the stocks 3/$49
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

If you wrap the stock in news papers in the trunk while it is 200 then it will take off the grease real good just change the news paper when it gets dirty. That is actually the prefered way to de grease a stock. And lets face it have you read a newspaper recently? This is an approved method of dealing with the newspaper also as it is not worth reading mostly. :o :lol:
AS to the stocks there are subtle differences that would require the correct stock for replacement. If you have the inclination and the money i would suggest maybe adding a late year mosin to your family and then look for the step in the stock at the back of the reciever. I will see if i can find a link for you that explains the difference here in a minute. :D
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinReceiver.htm Scroll down a litlle and check out where it says stepped tang. Will have 2 pictures showing stepped and unstepped. :thumbsup:
Mosin-FAL

Post by Mosin-FAL »

hoshow

Post by hoshow »

Nice looking rifle :Drool1:
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
rustytruck

Post by rustytruck »

I think it's a faux pas to call it a "Nagant". It's a Mosin...
rideandslidejim

Post by rideandslidejim »

It may be against forum rules,( Maybe not in tour case ) Formbys Refinsher will desolve the old shellak and maybe level it out for you. Doesn't effect the wood or raise the grain.
It's NOT a stripper.

Jim
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Definately against rules. I would advise heavely against that. The damage is done now so why make it worse. To refinish would totaly ruin the value of it. You have a few bad spots whoopty do. In time they will even out just fine. Please refrain from suggestions such as those in further posts. It is not a good solution and is not condoned by anybody here. :D
rideandslidejim

Post by rideandslidejim »

My post was to try to help and possible reverse ( to some degree ) damaged that " he" caused and " he" may want to try to correct.I'm not recomending he "refinish" the rifle. So holster your six gun Marshal. :2cents: :2cents: :2cents:

Jim
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
jonnyboy091373

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

A very nice looking rifle :) looks like it might be an ex dragoon. Also, don't worry to much about the stock, it's a learning process and a great reason to buy another mosin!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Shit happens, leave the rifle as it is, now you know better for the next rifle .
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Yes jonnyboy a ex dragoon is correct. I don't think you messed it up bafly, I would jusy shoot it alot, clean it alot, rub a little lemon oil on it and in 6 months it will be surprisingly blended. I think.
Celt

Post by Celt »

+1 :pointup:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Celt

Post by Celt »

rideandslidejim wrote:It may be against forum rules,( Maybe not in tour case ) Formbys Refinsher will desolve the old shellak and maybe level it out for you. Doesn't effect the wood or raise the grain.
It's NOT a stripper.

Jim

Really?
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

rideandslidejim wrote:It may be against forum rules,( Maybe not in tour case ) Formbys Refinsher will desolve the old shellak and maybe level it out for you. Doesn't effect the wood or raise the grain.
It's NOT a stripper.

Jim
I am familiar with formby's and know exactly how it works, It dissolves the old shellac and spreads it around to eliminate age related problems like alligatoring. However old shellac is still old, it has contaminants in it that cleaning will not remove, after a few weeks or months of looking good it will start to lift off. It positively will alter the original finish and is not recommended here. This stuff is used by unscrupulous antique dealers to spiff up furniture with finish problems .
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

bunkysdad wrote:Yes jonnyboy a ex dragoon is correct. I don't think you messed it up bafly, I would jusy shoot it alot, clean it alot, rub a little lemon oil on it and in 6 months it will be surprisingly blended. I think.
:pointup: Lemon oil works miracles. If I had known how well it worked, I would pay 3 times what it costs. MMMmmmmm gooooood stuff.