A pair of type 53s

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jayrocka1200

Re: A pair of type 53s

Post by jayrocka1200 »

yeah one is longer than the other....nice pair though ! "thumbsup01:
Cyklopz

Post by Cyklopz »

Longcolt, I'll check length in the morning when I start cleaning the lighter colored rifle (#2 in my mind). The finger groove is definitely shorter on the light gun.

Anything of particular interest anyone would like for me to check while I'm getting to know these guys?

The bore of the first gun (darker) seemed to clean up just fine today. Hopefully the second one will as well.

Cy
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Any markings that might be on the new stock.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
rideandslidejim

Post by rideandslidejim »

Have you cleaned the metal yet ? I recommend the soaking in mineral spirits and a 20 ga, wire brush attached to a drill to clean the chamber. I made a pvc pipe to soak the barrel in.

Jim
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Any active rust can be removed by scrubbing it with a copper bore brush and some light oil.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Hey Dog that is about the color of all the Type 53's that I have now, the lighter one that is. The wood is much more dented and seen much more action too. We got some in SEA that were painted or coated with something to darken them and usually the bayonets were gone too. They most times had just hemp rope on them if the came off a body and if in a cache they had nothing. I have one sling made of what could be pigskin or maybe goat that supposedly came off a type 53 and it is all tied together with no metal. Multiple holes for adjustment and used what looks like rawhide strings to fasten them. I wonder where in the heck they would have gotten that rawhide? Bill :shock:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Water buffalo maybe. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
jayrocka1200

Post by jayrocka1200 »

I may have to get one of these sooner than later as that's all J & G has left now...they are all out of 91/30's
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Cyklopz wrote:Longcolt, I'll check length in the morning when I start cleaning the lighter colored rifle (#2 in my mind). The finger groove is definitely shorter on the light gun.

Anything of particular interest anyone would like for me to check while I'm getting to know these guys?

The bore of the first gun (darker) seemed to clean up just fine today. Hopefully the second one will as well.

Cy
If the lighter one is indeed longer I will have a lot of questions.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

zeebill wrote:Hey Dog that is about the color of all the Type 53's that I have now, the lighter one that is. The wood is much more dented and seen much more action too. We got some in SEA that were painted or coated with something to darken them and usually the bayonets were gone too. They most times had just hemp rope on them if the came off a body and if in a cache they had nothing. I have one sling made of what could be pigskin or maybe goat that supposedly came off a type 53 and it is all tied together with no metal. Multiple holes for adjustment and used what looks like rawhide strings to fasten them. I wonder where in the heck they would have gotten that rawhide? Bill :shock:
20 years back I had a guy walk in with a well used Soviet 1944 M44 he claimed was a Korean war bringhome. This rifle had a unusual looking thin leather like strap for a sling that he told me was made by the North Koreans out of human skin ( as I was running my hands over it), something he seemed to think would make a good selling point with me. Pitch a fit is a mild way of describing my reaction, and that mother ****** ran out of the office. Not sure why, maybe it was my pulling the shotgun out from under the counter and stating my intention of shoving the barrel up his ass and blowing the top of his ****in head off. Human skin, there are limits to what I will collect, and objects that come from crimes against humanity are right up there with Hitlers mustache. I didn't have the sling DNA tested of course, and only that assholes word for what it was, but it didn't feel like any leather sling I ever held ( washed my hands with bleach after that) and I have heard horrible story's of some of the things the commie bastards did to prisoners and such, especially the brutality of the North Koreans, that sling could very well have been exactly what he said it was.
Theodore Roosevelt