A pair of type 53s

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Cyklopz

A pair of type 53s

Post by Cyklopz »

boltside-both-t53s.jpg
Just got these today, have not cleaned them up any as of yet. Any comments welcome, can't wait to shoot them!

Cosmoline does not really look that thick on them and the actions are quite smooth even though still dirty. Bores are dark but appear to have good rifling and i think will clean up nicely (which I have heard about the 53s).

Not terrible shape really but the light colored stock is a bit odd, no hole for the sling at the butt end of the stock. Rougher cut stock as well. The darker one seems in pretty fair shape to my eyes, not that I know anything about older rifles.

Serial numbers do not match for either one, but not a bid deal to me really. Only paid $119 each.

Here are some pics:
boltside-both-t53s.jpg
non-boltside-both-t53s.jpg
top-both-t53s.jpg
year-serial-t53-2.jpg
Thanks everyone.

Cy

rear-stock-both-t53s.jpg
year-serial-t53-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pacolo90

Re: A pair of type 53s

Post by pacolo90 »

Wow really nice! that 1953 is one of the original trial rifles :thumbsup: that stock is very interesting, no sling slot and a smaller cut out... dont think i've seen one like that. Nice :Drool1:
"If guns were banned, I'd sure think twice before using one to commit a crime, said no criminal, ever" - unknown
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice pair. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Wow! You really did well there and got the range is colors of stock too. No sling slot? Hmm that is really interesting! Never saw that except on the really early M91's where they had a sling awivel on the mag housing. For that price I would have bought two also. Congrats you did very well! Bill :D
rideandslidejim

Post by rideandslidejim »

Nice !! Also the front slot doesn't look like it has a metal grommet in it. That light color is something i hav not seen befor. Have fun shooting them.
Jim
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I understand that this latest batch of fifty threes came in from the Balkans someplace. I think what we are seeing here is a home grown stock, that stock is in many ways different than the Chinese, or any other M44 stock I have seen. The wood is not Chu wood by the look of it, the lack of the sling slot, the half slot metal insert in the forend, the size of the finger groove, and the centered bolt in it, the thickness of the wood . This is a really cool find, and something I have never seen before, Chu wood stocks are known for problems, cracks, dry rot, and so on, anyone stuck with a pile of these rifles would eventualy have to face stock issues and the solution would be to produce some stocks . Why they left off the rear sling slot is a mystery, maybe they just got lazy. Vey cool, we need more pics of that stock, both on and off the rifle :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
rideandslidejim

Where did you get them ? If JYD is correct, i'd like to get my Chinese a Balkans playmate !!!!!

Jim
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

The one picture shows a CAI import marking and I just sort of figured he got them from there with a license? Bill :o
Cyklopz

Post by Cyklopz »

Yeah, I've just barely looked at these guns really but will be doing more and starting the cleaning process today. Ordered these from Budsgunshop.com but it looks like they are already sold out again. :| I'll take some more photos as I break down the guns for cleaning.

Any way to check the headspace without the gauges? Anyone know about how much a gunsmith would charge to check it? I see the kits run about $50 some-odd for all three gauges.

Thanks again everyone.

Cy
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You need the headspace gauge to check it, you would have to find and ask your local gunsmith if he has gauges for this caliber.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If you plan to add more Mosins to the collection it is well worth it to get the gauge.
Theodore Roosevelt
rideandslidejim

Just noticed "Welcome " to the group ! Darn !!! Got my #53 from Bud's also a while back and they sold out then, i never saw they had them again , rats !!!!!

Jim
drabnor

Post by drabnor »

I ordered a Good condition one straight from Century, wonder what's going to show up?!
a few old Russian bolt actions
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Welcome to the forum Cyklopz :welcome: You got two nice T53's for sure. As stated a very interesting stock on that one. :vcool: :vcool:
Doggystrike

Post by Doggystrike »

Welcome! :D Nices 53's
Russian Capture K98 BYF 41
M1 Garand 1942 Springfield
Mosin Nagant 91/30 MO Sanitized
Mosin Nagant PU 1943 Izhevsk
Mosin Nagant Ex Pu 1943
Mosin Nagant T53 1954.11 Matching
Mosin Nagant T53 1955
Sino Soviet "H" Block SKS
Cyklopz

Post by Cyklopz »

Yeah, Buds had 91/30s and the T53s in stock for maybe a week and they were all gone! I was not really "ready" to buy anything but under the current climate and popularity of these rifles (and variants like the 53s) I decided that for the price I could not wait.

I'm quite bummed though as I was cleaning the darker of the two rifles this morning and meant to take some pictures but toward the end I had to run out on some errands and had to just put it back together. I did see LOTS of marks on the metal in various places and on the stock as well. Numbers and letters inside small circles etc. They are all over practically. To bad more is not know about the Chinese versions. I'll get pics of them (although it will be a lot of pics) pretty soon. I'll also get the lighter colored rifle cleaned pretty soon as well (tomorrow morning I hope).

Someone mentioned that it looked like the lighter colored rifle did not have the metal insert for the sling in the fore-end (and only sling slot). It has a partial insert, I'll get a better pic of that when I get into cleaning it.

EDIT: These were both rated as "good".

Cy
Cyklopz

Post by Cyklopz »

One more thing, its hard to see it clearly but the darker rifle (I call it #1) has a bad crack in the lower butt of the stock (classic position). I'm going to start researching how to fix it (keep it from getting worse at least). I really want to be able to shoot both of these rifles, even see if my wife will at least try them.

Again, I'll try to get a better pic of the crack tomorrow.

Cy
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

See what I mean about the chu wood? The partial sling slot metal in the new stock is similar to what the Soviets used on wartime stocks, probably were whoever made it got the idea. Interesting to know why they didn't cut the rear slot. We know very little about any of the Mosins except the American made ones. We know the basics of were they were made, and when, who invented what, but production totals remains a mystery, or a guess, most of the markings remain a secret as well.
Theodore Roosevelt
warhawk77

Post by warhawk77 »

Very nice set of type 53 and a nice price
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Is it the way the picture was taken or is the lighter one longer? It sure looks that way in a couple of the pictures. Also the finger groove is shorter, that's not a picture angle.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!