Big 5 Sporting Goods

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
mikerb55

Big 5 Sporting Goods

Post by mikerb55 »

Hi All,

For those of you who have a Big 5 Sporting Goods in there area, their M91/30's are on sale again for $119 through Christmas. :clap:
John Wayne as John Bernard Books (The Shootist):
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
MN Fan

Re: Big 5 Sporting Goods

Post by MN Fan »

Before joining this forum, I never heard of Big 5. I need to petition the City Planner's to recruit one here!
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
mikerb55

Post by mikerb55 »

MN Fan,

They are not one of the bigger sporting goods stores, but they always seem to get M91/30's and the occasional M44. I bought a '39 Izhevsk from them in September that was very nice! :D
John Wayne as John Bernard Books (The Shootist):
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
sclinesr

Post by sclinesr »

Cabelas had em on sale for $99. Don't know if they are still on sale.
"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

At our local store, the guy I spoke with couldn't remember if the sale ended on the 9th or if it started again on the 9th. He said either way, just mention it and they should honor it.
sclinesr

Post by sclinesr »

MN Fan wrote:At our local store, the guy I spoke with couldn't remember if the sale ended on the 9th or if it started again on the 9th. He said either way, just mention it and they should honor it.
Here Cabelas has or had two sales going. One ended December 7th and the other goes to the end of the month. Can't remember which one the 91/30 was under.
"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

sclinesr wrote:Cabelas had em on sale for $99. Don't know if they are still on sale.
Gander Mountain has ocasional sales for $99.... But they do pricematch too. Fleet Farm down the road sells them all day every day for $99, just not as nice as Gander Mountain.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Dunhams Sporting Goods has them on sale right now for $79.99. The sale is good to December 15th. The laminate stock ones are not on sale.
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Rongoman wrote:
sclinesr wrote:Cabelas had em on sale for $99. Don't know if they are still on sale.
Gander Mountain has ocasional sales for $99.... But they do pricematch too. Fleet Farm down the road sells them all day every day for $99, just not as nice as Gander Mountain.
Wow! we have a Gander Mountain here, but I have never seen them that cheap there. I would love to have a Big 5 here as well. 8-)
p-t-max

Post by p-t-max »

I got my '36 91/30 at our local Big 5 for $109 on Black Friday. Their regular price is $219. :o They have a reputation for being overpriced on most their stuff. :sad:
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

I'm moving.

Besides Cabela's, Nebraska doesn't have any of the stores mentioned here. All of them (except maybe Big 5) are next door though...across the State line. Very convenient for garden tools and basketball hoops, not so good for firearms purchases.
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

MN Fan,

Not sure where you live in Nebraska, but there is a Dunham's in Sioux City, Iowa and one in Yankton, South Dakota. Just call ahead to make sure they have one in stock. They usually only carry 1-5 at a time.
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

I see you live in Omaha. Doh. Sioux City or Des Moines would be your best bet.
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Thanks Tom! But, being across state lines, I would have to get a FFL involved. I guess that's the nice thing though...$79, $89, $99, once you're talking $100 give or take, it really doesn't matter :)
sonomanator

Post by sonomanator »

seems fair but at cabelas in Dundee mich they had them for as cheap as 80. i ended up getting mine at a military surplus store in better shape for 99. they sold 4 the day i got it.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

MN fan move to Texas, I need a shooting buddy! Only problem is that nobody wants to go shooting when it runs 100+ degrees for nearly 2 months straight. :no:
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Careful what you wish for :)

I lived in Lake Jackson for quite a few years. I was working military contracts for years in Iowa (civilian contractor to the US Iowa Army Ammuntion Plant), then got sent down to work with Lockheed-Martin in Seabrook. Once all our bombs and missles were working right, I decided to get out of weapons design and went to work for a group in Houston. They bought a company here in Omaha, transferred me up and here I am. In the last few weeks, they have been talking about having me come back to Houston. My daughter was born there (Brazoria County) and wants to move back pretty bad.

I guess that is my one link in this new "hobby"...I know nothing of military surplus and have one shot only one Mosin Nagant, but I have worked on the TOW and Hellfire missles, the M180 Cratering Device, Javelin anti-tank, cluster mines and many prototypes (and even stuff I had no clue what is was for). After all those years, I still feel like a "noob" when I read here what all you guys know about these amazing rifles and their history!

So...if I do move back, we'll go shoot! I would be honored :)
gwilly

Post by gwilly »

MN Fan wrote:Thanks Tom! But, being across state lines, I would have to get a FFL involved. I guess that's the nice thing though...$79, $89, $99, once you're talking $100 give or take, it really doesn't matter :)
Hey MN! I'm 150 miles NW of you but still in NE. You can buy long guns/rifles....at least in SD & bring them back with you across the state line .....its pistols & revolvers that you need an FFL. I know.....bought my 91/30 in Sioux Falls last weekend......no sweat.
Not sure about IA....a phone call would soon answer that though.
Next time I'm in Yankton I'll have to check the Dunham's....been a long time since I've been in there.
~GW
An old mountain man's prayer:
"Lord, I don't ask for a faith that would move yonder mountain.
I can take enough dynamite and move it, if it needs movin'.
I pray, Lord, for enough faith to move me."
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Wow that is an amazing resume! I don't have the right words to describe my respect for the military and all those that defend this country. I have a niece in Houston and it's only about four and a half hours. It gets got there too of course.
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Hey GW, that's awesome! Cold enough up there for you? :mrgreen:

You may be right...I heard recently that you can buy from neighboring states, but can't buy beyond that without a FFL. A friend/co-worker recently bought a rifle in Colorado with only his purchase permit, but another friend/co-worker (who lives in Iowa) bought a rifle in Nebraska and had to have it shipped. He did not have a permit though. I am finding so many guns to look at around here I haven't made it across the river yet. I just found another really nice gun shop on the south side of town. There's still 4 pawnshops and 3 gun shops I haven't been to, plus I found a very active GB dealer in Fremont (about 15 miles north of here). I'll sneak across the river once I run out of things to look at around here!

Let me know what you find at Dunham's :)

Take care neighbor...