Head Space Guage?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
DavidL

Head Space Guage?

Post by DavidL »

First Post. I just bought my first Mosin Nagant 91/30. I disassembled it and cleaned off all the cosmoline, Barrel rifling looks great and bolt works excellent. My next step is to order a head space gauge from Amazon. Should I get the No-Go or the Field Gauge? I will be shooting surplus ammo, I just ordered Bulgarian 147grn FMJ and Russian 7.62x54R ammo.

Thanks,
Dave
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Re: Head Space Guage?

Post by websterz »

I recommend the FIELD gauge. A rifle can fail NO-GO, yet still pass FIELD and turn out to be a great shooter. Why go to Amazon? We sell better gauges right here.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

Don't waste your time on Amazon. The OKIE gauges sold by our sponsor take only seconds to use and are very well built. They dont get any better or easier to use. You really only need a field gauge to insure that rifles still meets military safety criteria.
DavidL

Post by DavidL »

Thanks for the quick replies. I didn't know you could buy gauges here. I will be ordering the OKIE field gauge.

Thanks again,
Dave
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board David :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
dou44

Post by dou44 »

welcome and the okie guage is the best out there
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Welcome David. Thanks for supporting the advertisers that support our forum.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
rlchemist

Post by rlchemist »

Welcome...I too am a newbe here and I just received the Okie head space gauges, they are very easy to use and work great. The Okie gauges are the real deal and I would recommend them over anything you might see on Amazon.
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

Don't just order the field gauge. Get the whole set. I have a friend who just ordered the field gauge. He is always wanting to borrow my go and no go, just to satisfy his curiosity. If your rifle passes the field gauge, then you will be wondering what it would do with the no go.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I don't know why he would need to borrow your go guage but ok. I would order the field/no go combo but you do save by buying a larger set. Welcome Dave. What are the details of your new 91/30? These rifles can jump start quite a collecting journey.
DavidL

Post by DavidL »

bunkysdad wrote:I don't know why he would need to borrow your go guage but ok. I would order the field/no go combo but you do save by buying a larger set. Welcome Dave. What are the details of your new 91/30? These rifles can jump start quite a collecting journey.
I bought the rifle from Buds Gun Shop. It's has a hex receiver and the date is 1928, manufactured in Tula . All the serial numbers match except for the bottom plate which was crossed out and restamped. The rifle cleaned up pretty nice and can't wait to take it to the range.
KJProX

Post by KJProX »

Welcome David, sounds like a cool gun. New also here, I just ordered the Okie No-Go guage on Sunday for my first Mosin to check before I shoot it and now I'm thinking I should have ordered the Field Guage instead by what the guys are saying here, I couldn't afford the set. Oh well hopefully the No-Go tells me what I need to know. :wink:
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

DavidL wrote:Thanks for the quick replies. I didn't know you could buy gauges here. I will be ordering the OKIE field gauge.

Thanks again,
Dave
Welcome David. You did exactly what we wish a lot of others would do and that's to ask about this kind of thing first. Because you did and you found out the Okie gauges are available you're getting the best. Those gauges being sold on Amazon are cheap fakes copied from the Okie guages. You just saved yourself from buying junk. I love it. If you haven't already ordered them I'd recommed getting the field and no-go.
rideandslidejim

Post by rideandslidejim »

Welcome David I bought the field, no go set, they work great. Yuo mentioned you have order both theBbulgarian and older Russian ammo, i have only shot the Bulgarian, let us no how you compare the 2. Thinking about ordering a crate of Russian.

Jim
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have shot a lot of the later date Russian, good stuff.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
DavidL

Post by DavidL »

Since I will probably be only shooting military surplus, I ordered just the Okie Field Gauge.