Unexpected Finn Xmas present

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
baddiesel43

Re: Unexpected Finn Xmas present

Post by baddiesel43 »

A couple of other questions.Since my father in law was know to have fired this gun alot should I still check the headspace? Also as far as the sling ,alot of the pics of Finns that I've seen have leather slings on them.Should I get a leather or canvas on?I've found a original leather one online but they are about 3 time the cost of a canvas one,but the gun was free so I don't mind spend more on one if the Finns came with them.Any suggestions on what type of stripper clips to get?I can't wait to get another mosin now.I may still try to brave crowds and madness this weekend at the local gun show to see if they have any good one at decent prices.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

It would be correct with either sling. They used what ever they had. Only original clips are worth anything and even then that is worth not much. Repo are hit or miss and originals are hit and miss. If you are looking for another then a gun show is not a bad place to start. Around here they are about 35-40% worth going and then 50-50 on those if anything is there. Gives me something to do though. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

Check headspace and give it a good cleaning. Man that is one beautiful rifle......what a story! Its a fantastic rifle. Congrats! :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Canvas Mosin slings can only be used with the leather dog collars and your stock is a Finn stock, it has sling hangers made for the leather strap sling that can be snaked through them.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Check the headspace, it's probably fine, but it's better to know that for a fact, and not be going by guesswork.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
HexNut

Post by HexNut »

WELCOME, and Damn nice inherited rifle! :thumbsup: Love the receiver stamps ! And you have a GREAT mother-in-law :chuckles: BTW nice pics to make the envy drip ! :Drool1:
Firearms without ammunition are like teats on a boar hog. Useless!
bucken

Post by bucken »

A great example proving that you just never know where the next great find may turn up! Fantastic rifle! Enjoy!
Slow Ride

Post by Slow Ride »

Beautiful rifle and neat story. You should be able to pick up some accessories at the gun show. At least, at the larger shows the vendors seem to have a bunch of slings, cleaning kits, etc. Thanks for sharing!
ModelAUZI

Post by ModelAUZI »

Wow what a gift. I'd look around the house for more :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:
"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."
- Ted Nugent
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Did you ask if he left any ammo and cleaning gear? Maybe he had an entire reloading setup someplace, or a stack of spam cans, cleaning gear. There is more gun stuff in that house.
Theodore Roosevelt
Augmister

Post by Augmister »

Santa been very very good to you! What a Finn, what a find, what a mother-in-law. Be a good guy and do something as special for her as she did for you.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Did you ask if he left any ammo and cleaning gear? Maybe he had an entire reloading setup someplace, or a stack of spam cans, cleaning gear. There is more gun stuff in that house.
:D :D :D
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Could be a S&W .44 Magnum sitting in the bottom of a box of cleaning gear just waiting for you to find it :) Or a Luger, maybe a GI 1911 , you never know, but it's my experiance that older guys who have one gun tend to have more even if the wife was not told about it.
Theodore Roosevelt
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Could be a S&W .44 Magnum sitting in the bottom of a box of cleaning gear just waiting for you to find it :) Or a Luger, maybe a GI 1911 , you never know, but it's my experiance that older guys who have one gun tend to have more even if the wife was not told about it.
Oh, come on now!! What guys doesn't tell his wife about all the rifles he has. :chuckles: (about 1/4 the membership to this forum)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Rifle she would have found, but a handgun she might have missed.
Theodore Roosevelt