Unexpected Finn Xmas present

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
baddiesel43

Unexpected Finn Xmas present

Post by baddiesel43 »

So after seeing a guy shoot his mosin last month at my local outdoor range and learning the history I've been wanting one.I told my wife I wanted one for christmas but we couldn't find any for sale locally.There is a local gun show next weekend that I was going to try to pick one up at.
Anyways me and my wife went to her mothers house for Christmas.I got into a conversation with my mother in law about guns and she said that she had a old rifle that belonged to her late husband that I could have if I wanted it.I said sure let me see what it is and then she brought out a finnish m91 :big shock: Talk about excited :biggrin: I thought it was a mosin untill I got home and on this site to do some research and discovered it was a Finn.Needless to say I love this gun.The funny thing is my mother in law didn't even know that I was wanting a mosin and my wife forgot her late father even had the gun or what kind it was.My wife says that her father had the gun for as long as she could remember and shot it all the time.Needless to say I'm keeping it in the family.It's a 1940 VKT D barrel with SA stamp and has VK3 number stamp on the stock.I cleaned it real good and the bore looks to be in excellent condition.So now I just need order me some surplus ammo :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desdem12

Re: Unexpected Finn Xmas present

Post by desdem12 »

Really nice Present. 40 M91. Sweet. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
jonnyboy091373

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

Very nice. Wish I had a Finn for Christmas.
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Oh heck yahh, what a find and what a Mother In Law. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Sweet. And it has the Austrian arsenal mark. That one has been all over Europe. :Drool1: :thumbsup:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
jdolinski

Post by jdolinski »

Nice rifle, can't beat a family er-loom. congrats :thumbsup:
Destiny
is not a matter of
Chance
It is a matter of
Choice
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Beautiful! It is perfect. There is only one thing you need. A sling would be nice. You are so fortunate that he had the good sense to keep it original. These have been ruined too many time with a 50 cent piece of sandpaper. The torch has been passed to you. Run with it and savor the opportunity.8-)8-):P
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I would be interested n seeing the date on the underside of the tang. I'll bet it's not 40.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Longcolt44 wrote:I would be interested n seeing the date on the underside of the tang. I'll bet it's not 40.
Pre 1918??
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

BuckeyeSgt wrote:Pre 1918??
That is a pretty safe bet Drew. How about nailin it down some? :thumbsup: :biggrin:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
dou44

Post by dou44 »

:thumbsup: a lot better than what my mother in law got me.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Just remember that if you tear it down for cleaning the barrel band screws turn the opposite way from normal.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, very nice gift, when you pull the action out of the stock be careful of any small metal shims that might be between the action screws and the wood. These were placed in some rifles to adjust the action for accuracy, keep them in their proper places and in order. Not every Finn had, or needed them . :) I have a '40 VKT also and it is a great shooter.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
warhawk77

Post by warhawk77 »

Very cool story and rifle. Congrats
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Very nice Finn. You did well for sure. 8-) 8-) 8-)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

"Talk about excited I thought it was a mosin untill I got home and on this site to do some research and discovered it was a Finn"

A Mosin is still a Mosin no matter who made it, here in the US, Finland, France, China, Eastern Europe, or Russia itself.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
baddiesel43

Post by baddiesel43 »

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.I took the gun apart to clean it this morning and yes it did have 2 small shims under the receiver that I will put back in the same spot.I'm going to leave the gun as is except for getting a sling for it.I'm not sure what year or origin of the receiver is.I took some pics of the markings on it.The one on the top of the receiver looks looks a Russia imperial eagle and I'm not sure what the other marks mean.I have a feeling this won't be my only mosin,I think I have caught the mosin bug.I love the history of these guns.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

The markings on your receiver tang show it is a Tula made in 1899. The Tula hammer is above the 99 date. :thumbsup:
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Wow. Incredible.
JayPoc

Post by JayPoc »

I'm sorry...this thing reads too much like a "Penthouse Forum" entry...this could never happen in real life, could it? I'm expecting to read the story about the grandma selling the old chevy under the tarp for 500 bucks, and it turns out to be a pristine 62 'vette...