Cured my sticky bolt....

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
EJTHor

Cured my sticky bolt....

Post by EJTHor »

So I bought an M44 from AIM a few weeks ago. When I received it, I was pleasantly surprised. It was in extremely nice shape. Headspace was great. The bore was about perfect. Nice sharp lands, and the muzzle looks brand new. I cleaned it up well and lubricated it. I was excited to shoot it.

I took it out a week ago, and fired the first test shot. Everything went fine, until I tried to open the bolt. I could open it about half way, and then it would bind. I had to whack the bolt handle against the bench to move the bolt handle vertical. Even then, I could not extract the round. I could pull on the bolt as hard as I wanted, but it wouldn't budge. Finally, I had to smack the bolt handle rearward by hitting it on the bench. The round ejected. I tried another shot. Same result. Third time, I took a good look at the spent casing. I could see scrape marks extending from the case head about half way down the cartridge. I took a look in the chamber, and could see where the very edge of the chamber mouth had been peened over at the bottom of the chamber.

I took the rifle home, and disassembled it. Using a small rat tail file, I carefully knocked the peened section down so that it was flush with the rest of the chamber. It took some doing, but I got it to where I thought it needed to be.

Took it to the range today, and it functioned flawlessly. It's amazing how something as stupid as a tiny little peened over section of the chamber mouth can render a firearm all but useless.
jonnyboy091373

Re: Cured my sticky bolt....

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

that may be why the rifle is in such great shape. Its previous owner was only able to get off one shot...
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
EJTHor

Post by EJTHor »

jonnyboy091373 wrote:that may be why the rifle is in such great shape. Its previous owner was only able to get off one shot...
You know, it's funny........but that exact thought crossed my mind. :chuckles:
EJTHor

Post by EJTHor »

BrokeDad wrote:Many times people sell things because they can't be bothered solving a minor problem. Hey .. Just noticed I got a 'promotion' for talking too much :D :chuckles: Why did I just think of the mrs ? :rolling:
That's very true. Fortunately, I'm very good with my hands, and have a ton of mechanical skill, tools, and equipment. I've been an auto technician since 1995, and have been making knives since about 1988. Even not so minor problems won't discourage me. Very rarely do I run into a problem on something mechanical that I can't fix myself.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

BrokeDad wrote:Many times people sell things because they can't be bothered solving a minor problem. Hey .. Just noticed I got a 'promotion' for talking too much :D :chuckles: Why did I just think of the mrs ? :rolling:
So, now it is official, you are a Major Motor Mouth! :D Congrats on the promotion! :thumbsup:
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Glad you got it squared away :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Slow Ride

Post by Slow Ride »

Good news that you solved the problem. I've got a 1930 Tula that has a rough spot on the chamber, and it is hard to cycle too. I might give the file a try. Thanks for sharing.