Czech vz24 8mm Mauser (Before and After cleaning)

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Czech vz24 8mm Mauser (Before and After cleaning)

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

What I do with Mauser sights is pretty dam bad, I mostly shoot them for the fun of chambering, firing a round to hear the noise, and ejecting it, hitting anything would just be gravy :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Aircooled

Post by Aircooled »

Hey again and thanks for the warm welcome. Well, I spent yesterday digging out from another good dumping of the white stuff, but with the drought and extreme heat we had up here last summer, I really shouldn't complain. It will do wonders for the wells and water table, come spring.
I will try posting pics soon. My computer skills are not the greatest and I'm still figuring out how everything works here. lol
Oh, a footnote. I sent an e-mail inquiring about some Romanian prefix dates, to the folks who run this page. They seem to have a lot of info on all Mausers, including different stamp markings, so I was surprised that nothing was mentioned there about translating prefix codes into dates.
http://mauser98k.internetdsl.pl/gvz24en.html
If they respond, I'll post any info they send me.
With all the folks buying these, I'm sure somebody will crack the codes and help fill in the blanks eventually.
I know I won't be finding any surpluss ammo up here, and Prvi is about a buck, ten a round up here in Canuckastan, but I will round up a few boxes by spring.
Gotta run, now. I just heard the snow plow go by so I'm sure he left a nice 2 ft wall of snow at the end of the driveway!.... #$@%^&
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I did not receive any emails on the subject, best way to contact me is here on the board using PM's as I forget to check the email for days, or even weeks at a time sometimes. If you sent it to Dolk he may not have seen it yet.. 8mm Mauser is not that thick on the ground here anymore either, surplus has been drying up for years.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I did not receive any emails on the subject, best way to contact me is here on the board using PM's as I forget to check the email for days, or even weeks at a time sometimes. If you sent it to Dolk he may not have seen it yet.. 8mm Mauser is not that thick on the ground here anymore either, surplus has been drying up for years.
I think he's talking about the link to the webpage in his post Jim. I've seen some talk about what the letters translate according to year but it wasn't very detailed and I can't remember where I saw it.
VinnAY

Post by VinnAY »

I got the exact same rifle from AIM, brand new walnut stock, used handguard. But mine was so well scrubbed, devoid of any remnants of a receiver ring crest, and done so well that only four numbers remain. They must have gone overboard and scrubbed the preceding letters for a Romanian contract rifle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

WeldonHunter wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:I did not receive any emails on the subject, best way to contact me is here on the board using PM's as I forget to check the email for days, or even weeks at a time sometimes. If you sent it to Dolk he may not have seen it yet.. 8mm Mauser is not that thick on the ground here anymore either, surplus has been drying up for years.
I think he's talking about the link to the webpage in his post Jim. I've seen some talk about what the letters translate according to year but it wasn't very detailed and I can't remember where I saw it.
Ah, OK, I was confused there for a bit.
Theodore Roosevelt
Aircooled

Post by Aircooled »

Hey again, gang. Well I picked up 2 boxes of Federal 8mm, while we were in town shopping yesterday. 33 clams a box. With tax it came to 74 clams for 40 rounds. I nearly had a stroke! lol
I think I'll be plinking sparingly with the VZ 24 come summer. Much cheaper to have fun with one of the Mosin's.
Mike, down at my local gun shop said he was getting a crate of Russian captured, scrubbed German mauser's in soon, but my ears really perked up when he mentioned some SVT 40's coming in. {Of course, up here they're pinned to 5 rounds} Still, I'm pretty sure I'll pick a nice one out. Just gotta talk to the wife ya know.....
I'm still digging around the web for info on years for Romanian contract, BRNO VZ 24's. I did find this link. Some info here.
http://rml1708.com/MyCzechWebpage/rumdata.htm
My DR 229XX also has the "M" turned sideways with a square line running 3/4 of the way around it, on the right side of the receiver.
Hey, Happy New Year everyone. {We can hope, right?}
Peace, enough chow in the fridge, heat in your igloo and good health to you all. :)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You spent a fortune on that ammo, but you now have top quality reloadable brass, save it all and reload it. $74 for two boxes of ammo, for around $25 you can get a Lee loader tool, the most simple of all reloading tools, for 8mm Mauser cost $30 or less, another $50 for bullets, primers, and powder, then reload the same 40 rounds ten times.
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:You spent a fortune on that ammo, but you now have top quality reloadable brass, save it all and reload it. $74 for two boxes of ammo, for around $25 you can get a Lee loader tool, the most simple of all reloading tools, for 8mm Mauser cost $30 or less, another $50 for bullets, primers, and powder, then reload the same 40 rounds ten times.

If he's in Canada like I think that's part of the curse they have. They get nice stuff like SVT40s cheap but ammo is somewhat high.
NCMN

Post by NCMN »

Very nice rifle, I have been looking at one myself, but still trying to find a few Mosins. Is that blue on the bolt or is it some kind of paint? I am sorry for my stupid question but I know nothing about mausers. I am guessing that it was reblued before being stored? Help a newbie out please.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Is reloading restricted in Canada?
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

NCMN wrote:Very nice rifle, I have been looking at one myself, but still trying to find a few Mosins. Is that blue on the bolt or is it some kind of paint? I am sorry for my stupid question but I know nothing about mausers. I am guessing that it was reblued before being stored? Help a newbie out please.
The bolt is blued. Everything is blued down to the firing pin and spring. These are Russian captures and went through the some sort of refurb program.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Blue bolt Finn, yea, people are still figuring that one out, no reason a bolt can't be blued, just the Russians never bothered.
Theodore Roosevelt
NCMN

Post by NCMN »

Thanks for the information on the blue, it sure does look great. I guess the ones I have seen were yugos that were painted? Well so much for looking as the ones at AIM just sold out and I guess I will not get one. Man things are crazy right now, I do need to get some ammo for my mosins, right now I have nothing, nada, not a round so I am on the hunt.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No ammo :big shock: :big shock: :big shock:
Theodore Roosevelt
NCMN

Post by NCMN »

Yep no ammo, been busy with vacation and other things, and didnt get around to ordering it. Gonna try and get some tonight
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

NCMN wrote:Yep no ammo, been busy with vacation and other things, and didnt get around to ordering it. Gonna try and get some tonight

Best deal on Mosin food right now. http://www.copesdistributing.net/bulgar ... -5863.html The savings is when you buy mulitples. The price per tin is the same but the shipping stays the same, $9.95 no matter how many you order.
NCMN

Post by NCMN »

Thanks, will order tonight so shipping is the same for 4 as it is for 1?
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

NCMN wrote:Thanks, will order tonight so shipping is the same for 4 as it is for 1?
Yep and just to make sure I was accurate I added 4 to my cart and went through the checkout. $9.95SH for 4 tins. When they say $9.95 shipping the mean it, lol. They don't come with an opener though but they have them for sale for $5.99.
NCMN

Post by NCMN »

Thanks again, I have an opener already, so thats not a problem