INSTRUCTIE marked Hungarian M44

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Slow Ride

INSTRUCTIE marked Hungarian M44

Post by Slow Ride »

Hello All,

Here are some pics of a Hungarian M44 I picked up today. They thing that got my attention was the stock markings - "INSTA" on one side and "6" on the other. Here are the other particulars - It is a 1953 and has matching numbers on the barrel, receiver, stock and buttplate. Mag floor and bolt do not match, but all parts are Hungarian. It has been shot a lot and has a worn muzzle, but hasn't been counter bored. The one question I have is it safe to shoot with a worn muzzle? I checked head space and it passed. Comments welcome. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pacolo90

Re: INSTRUCTIE marked Hungarian M44

Post by pacolo90 »

I would it is safe to shoot, just maybe not very accurate? Im not sure though, but nice find :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: how does the bore look?
"If guns were banned, I'd sure think twice before using one to commit a crime, said no criminal, ever" - unknown
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Give the barrel & receiver a long hard inspection... If all looks good you should be fine. I have some nasty bore rifles that shoot well.

I love those INSTRUCTIE's! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Slow Ride

Post by Slow Ride »

The bore has cleaned up and looks like some of the refurb M91/30s that I have. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would say it's a 6. It has some shine to it and you see the rifling. I took it apart and cleaned everything. There is no rust or pitting on any of the metal parts. It's just that worn muzzle that concerns me.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

How tight or far does a round fit in the muzzle, if it doesn't go in all the way, it may shoot fine. How does the crown look?
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Slow Ride

Post by Slow Ride »

It goes all the way in and the crown is well-worn.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

That is a nice find. The instructie ones are not all that common. :thumbsup:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

In that case I'd say it's a 50-50 chance it will be somewhat accurate, either way, it's a very nice piece :thumbsup: Those don't come around to often.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Greasemonkey wrote:In that case I'd say it's a 50-50 chance it will be somewhat accurate, either way, it's a very nice piece :thumbsup: Those don't come around to often.
Ugh why did you have to confirm that. I passed on two today. Damn this thread I might have to call my Mosin crack dealer back. :angry4:
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I've only seen one instructie in the wild, a 91/30. Not common in my area and I dont see them on Gunbroker very often.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

BuckeyeSgt wrote:
Greasemonkey wrote:In that case I'd say it's a 50-50 chance it will be somewhat accurate, either way, it's a very nice piece :thumbsup: Those don't come around to often.
Ugh why did you have to confirm that. I passed on two today. Damn this thread I might have to call my Mosin crack dealer back. :angry4:
:oops: :oops: Sorry :D But there is always that chance :lol: I have a M91 with a badly worn muzzle, not just a bullet swallower, it feels like the case neck will slip in if pushed hard enough. It's accuracy is fine, nothing to write home about, but it will hit a target with surplus.

Sadly all my crack dealers seem to have dried up :cry:
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I thought about getting one of them but I wanted to get a better example of a Russian M44 than I had. If I can sell the other one one I may have to get the Hun Instructie.
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: Nice find. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
olydemon

Post by olydemon »

Cool find! I had to pass on one the day I found the 1893 M91. I almost went for it since he wanted $150, and the M91 was $300. I still think I chose right.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I like the look of that one, one of the Roma issued Mosins, part of the same group as the issued 91/30's I was collecting a few years back, if it passed headspace it will shoot safe enough, just don't expect amazing accuracy. Is there enough of a crown left to grip the bullet at all?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Slow Ride

Post by Slow Ride »

I don't think there's enough crown there to do much. Accuracy for me isn't that big of a deal. Here's how most of my sessions at 100 yards go. 1) I shoot, 2) The boy (my son) says "You hit the paper!", 3) I say "What paper?". I'll give it a go and report back!
Slow Ride

Post by Slow Ride »

I took it to the range today and at 50 yards with resting my elbows on the bench I was able to keep the shots within a 10" group. I didn't notice any keyhole marks on the target. I'm very happy, given the extreme muzzle wear on this one. It cycles very easily too - probably good and broke in! This one won't be one of my regular shooters, but I'm glad it functions well.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

This is exactly why you have more then one in the collection. I would not worry about it at all. The coolness factor of it is way high and it is not needed as an everyday shooter. Nice that it does shoot though. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

I got an M38 early in my collecting years. Round went up to the casing. I got all freaked out, thinking I bought junk. Shot just fine. The only time the wear will become an issue is if you decide to sell it, might translate into lower sale price, especially if using GB or online venue, where they can't put their hands and eyes on it before buying. Counterbore means nothing to me. A little wear means nothing to me. If the price is right and it fills a hole, I'll take it. A lot of collectors are obsessive about buying only pristine firearms. Military surplus doesn't always allow for that. In fact, the more you hang on gunboards that respect the patina of these babies, you'll start looking hard at rougher pieces.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I'm right there with you on the bore thing. If it is not pitted to death or smooth then i don't sweat it. I have a M38 that i thought was a terrible bore and it shot really good. Even if it didn't i wouldn't care. :D