About the rules....

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Izhevsk762

About the rules....

Post by Izhevsk762 »

I noticed reading the rules that there wasn't any mention of sporterized rifles on there. I'm going to assume that we aren't going to be talking about how to bubba a nice C&R.

My question is this: are pics of sporterized rifles that we may own going to be allowed?
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
klibben

Re: About the rules....

Post by klibben »

I was wondering the same thing, though I do see that the Hunting Rifles board says it includes sportsters... not sure if that means bubba'd guns or not.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (ca 390 AD)
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

klibben wrote:I was wondering the same thing, though I do see that the Hunting Rifles board says it includes sportsters... not sure if that means bubba'd guns or not.
Rules.......I don't got to show you no stinkin rules!

Well, this forum was setup (with those rules) over a year ago and has not been used. We need to get some feed back on all of this. Changes will be made as we go. This thread is in the "collectible" area, but we could have other forums added or taken away or altered. We will have to "feel" our way for now.

In trying to stay with the old forum (for now), I would say sportsters could be showed (in this forum), but I would feel uncomfortable with any "how to", or questions about how to destroy a "collectible". However, if a new person posted about how to scope a Mosin, perhaps guiding them to a "non destructible" mount would go further to saving one of these rifles then jumping them..

Perhaps we could have "posted rules" for each forum. We will have to decide that as we go also. Right now, I'm running full time here on technical issues! And we will get organized here shortly.....I hope! :)

Most of you know how I feel about these rifles, but this is not about me. It is about what everyone wants and also, the new members. We want to encourage them along so they get Mosinitis (misery love company!). I am a convert to the belief that if you guide them along instead of shove them, they will take to it like a duck to water. Shoving them (even if they screwed up before coming here will probably send them to "the dark side" :lol: I know some of you are thinking "who in the Xell is this guy", well, I don't know :lol: 8-) 8-)

One last thing, ther is no blocking of words here, well not yet. That is something we will have to figure out! 8-) 8-)

Let me know if I'm wrong or right. Believe me, I can take a good kick in the.....well (right, words aren't blocked yet and have to be careful). I have experience, I've been married for over 34 years now (man, I shouldn't have said that either :oops: ). Well.....

PM me if you don't want to post it or if you feel intimidated and want my ear. I promise to try and make sure your opinion is heard and you have someone to go to.

Shortly we will be getting organized here and you will have other (more stable :lol: ) ears to talk to! 8-) 8-)

Dolk
klibben

Post by klibben »

If you do allow them, and like most I have mixed emotions about it, I would suggest they be in a different area... so people that don't want to see them don't have to. I'd suggest official forum policy be to not condone such acts, but hey if one of us finds a bubba'd mauser for $30 we obviously aren't going to pass it up... so why not let us show it to the rest of the gang?
"Si vis pacem, para bellum" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (ca 390 AD)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I agree with Klibben. Sometimes slightly bubba'd versions are easier to afford and i do take some of those deals with the intention of someday restoring to former glory. Also You guys are a wealth of information on parts and details :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

dolk wrote:
klibben wrote:I was wondering the same thing, though I do see that the Hunting Rifles board says it includes sportsters... not sure if that means bubba'd guns or not.
Rules.......I don't got to show you no stinkin rules!

Well, this forum was setup (with those rules) over a year ago and has not been used. We need to get some feed back on all of this. Changes will be made as we go. This thread is in the "collectible" area, but we could have other forums added or taken away or altered. We will have to "feel" our way for now.

In trying to stay with the old forum (for now), I would say sportsters could be showed (in this forum), but I would feel uncomfortable with any "how to", or questions about how to destroy a "collectible". However, if a new person posted about how to scope a Mosin, perhaps guiding them to a "non destructible" mount would go further to saving one of these rifles then jumping them..

Perhaps we could have "posted rules" for each forum. We will have to decide that as we go also.
Most of you know how I feel about these rifles, but this is not about me. It is about what everyone wants and also, the new members. We want to encourage them along so they get Mosinitis (misery love company!). I am a convert to the belief that if you guide them along instead of shove them, they will take to it like a duck to water. Shoving them (even if they screwed up before coming here will probably send them to "the dark side" :lol: I know some of you are thinking "who in the Xell is this guy", well, I don't know :lol: 8-) 8-)

PM me if you don't want to post it or if you feel intimidated and want my ear. I promise to try and make sure your opinion is heard and you have someone to go to.
Well, y'all should know I'm not afraid to offer my opinion....so here it is! :D

I agree that we shouldn't be giving out a "how to bubba handbook", but if someone shows up with a rifle they recently altered, I think the best idea is to explain nicely and logically why we don't condone this.
You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. With this method, we may be able to convert a few potential bubbas!

I gotta agree that pointing others toward a scout mount, instead of something that requires D&T is a good idea.

I recently inherited a sporter 1903 that I think might be appreciated in the hunting rifles forum, so I'll post some pics over there once I get them, hopefully in the next couple days.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

We can figure it out as we go, for now it's nice enough that I don't have to say shite anymore, I can say shit now, and hearing the rain pound on the roof, I will probably be saying much worse before morning.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
sdkfz181

Post by sdkfz181 »

I agree on the approach of rational suggestions to potential rifle modifiers. Slamming them first thing gets nowhere.
On the other hand, if they persist, then a gentle "you may want to find another place to hang out," or "in the interest of peaceful relations, let's not bring it up again." Who knows... after a while they may see the light.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I did a quick change to the sportster and hunting rifle forum. It now reads

Sportsters and all Hunting Rifles Forum
Sportsters and Hunting Rifles are discussed here.
We don't advocate making Sporsters, but we do recognize the ones already made as pieces of history and of importance.
If you have or bought one, you may show it here.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

dolk wrote:I did a quick change to the sportster and hunting rifle forum. It now reads

Sportsters and all Hunting Rifles Forum
Sportsters and Hunting Rifles are discussed here.
We don't advocate making Sporsters, but we do recognize the ones already made as pieces of history and of importance.
If you have or bought one, you may show it here.
I think one way to help inform folks who don't see a problem with "modernizing" a historic rifle is to gently let them know that they have ruined, or will, ruin the VALUE of the rifle as well as destroyed the history of it. To let them know that there is not an endless stream of "cheap" old military firearms, and to let them know that they have an obligation to preserve. To gently inform may be more effective than to preach or scold. Shame works better than agression.

Many times I think they are just looking for an inexpensive hunting rifle and are somewhat ashamed to have it look like "old military junk". When a fellow buys a functional bolt action rifle for $100.00, it is not unreasonable to assume it is "trashy", but can be "improved". Most of the time, they simply don't have a clue. If we change their minds, their habits will follow.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Sorry, I didn't mean to run away without commenting, but all of you have valid points.

Besides, what if I see something that really pulls at me......if I'm so rigid I won't be able to show it anywhere! (I know a few of you just passed out, someone throw some water on them please ).

I'm good with what JYD said "We can figure it out as we go"

Dolk
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

Sort of on-topic, what's the little bar thingy that the mods have underneath their avatar now?
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Izhevsk762 wrote:Sort of on-topic, what's the little bar thingy that the mods have underneath their avatar now?
I don't know, but did you notice that "JYD" guy's are "gold". What's with that? :?

Dolk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:mrgreen:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Junk Yard Dog wrote::mrgreen:
Did you notice that little green guy he put on there looks just like his Avatar...strange. :?
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

I have noticed a lot of patience and kindness on the old site. This is an opportunity to tell people about options besides drilling and permanent alterations, such as a scope mount. This would be also be a good opportunity to take a Bubba back to original. Many of these guns are mixmasters.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Izhevsk762 wrote:Sort of on-topic, what's the little bar thingy that the mods have underneath their avatar now?
Oh, that is easy. That is what happens when you poke things in the "Control Panel" and you don't know what you are doing! :lol:

Dolk
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

dolk wrote:
Oh, that is easy. That is what happens when you poke things in the "Control Panel" and you don't know what you are doing! :lol:

Dolk
lol
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

dolk wrote:

Dolk
I quess it should have been

"Oh, that is easy. That is what happens when you poke things in the "Control Panel" and you don't know what you are doing! :oops: :oops: :oops: "

That seems more sincere. :lol:

Dolk
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

Does this mean I can post my "Nagant Sniper" here?

I made it myself! (in photoshop) :twisted:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1