1939 Tula cn marking question

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
trkmnymkr

1939 Tula cn marking question

Post by trkmnymkr »

Got this 39 Tula refurb with the cn marking but shows no evidence of being drilled, inside or out. I'm curious what kind of scope would have been on this had it been scoped, a PE or PU? Thanks!
pacolo90

Re: 1939 Tula cn marking question

Post by pacolo90 »

probably a PE... Someone correct me if im wrong, but the PE's have three small screw holes on the side of the receiver which are usually covered up. PE's where top-mounted
"If guns were banned, I'd sure think twice before using one to commit a crime, said no criminal, ever" - unknown
pacolo90

Post by pacolo90 »

:post_r:
"If guns were banned, I'd sure think twice before using one to commit a crime, said no criminal, ever" - unknown
pacolo90

Post by pacolo90 »

look something like this? you can kinda see where the holes where covered up

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/exsniperPEroundl.JPG
pacolo90

Post by pacolo90 »

Here's another link with good info :thumbsup: :

information/sniper_9130PEM_files/index.html
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not all such marked Tula's were made into snipers, I have one like that also, CN marking but no sniper use. It's said, but possibly not documented, that this mark indicated a rifle good enough for sniper use, but not all were needed for snipers.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
trkmnymkr

Post by trkmnymkr »

Hi guys, thanks for your replies. I took this thing all apart and theres no filled holes. Even under a magnifying glass. Maybe you, JYD, could help, whats the rarity factor on this rifle? Sorry i don't havea pic. Rifle is at my work and I'm snowed in at the farm. 2 days now, ugh. Also, are there instances of these rifles with late 30's dates and being mounted with PU series scopes? Like a mid-war type production?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Soviets will never tell us how many of these rifles are around, but they do not seem to be that rare, I had no trouble finding mine, and many have shown up on the board. They mostly tend to be 1944 dates that I have seen, but older dates have also been noted. There may not even be positive documentation that this marking indicates a possible sniper candidate. It's found on the Tula sniper rifles but it might just be an accuracy proof of some sort. The Russians don't talk about small arms production so many things remain a mystery.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt