Selling vs Buying

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
mosinjunkie

Selling vs Buying

Post by mosinjunkie »

Everyone on here is always buying surplus rifles. If it's like me, my collection is growing all the time. I can't see selling any of the ones I have now.
How about you? Do you ever sell any of your rifles?
The gun control nuts are talking to your lawmakers! AS A GUN OWNER, YOU SHOULD BE TOO!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Selling vs Buying

Post by millman »

NO. I might trade, but not often.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I've sold a couple after I found better examples of what I already had. Then use that money to go find some more.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Tula Neil

Post by Tula Neil »

Yes
just sold hunting rifles with sound moderators, and have sold side by side shot guns, to buy 2 more M/N's. I now have a shopping list which includes, .303 SMLE, 30-06 Springfield, 1903A3 Remington 43(found a nice one but they are expensive here) 7.62x51 what ever I like the look of, and just bought 1x 7.5x55 Schmidt Rubin K31...
sbkittrell

Post by sbkittrell »

I used to sell off some of my guns occasionally when I was younger. About 10 years ago I sold a nice Marlin 1895 and Ruger Vaquero (both .45 long colt) combo. The minute they left my hands I realized that I regretted it. So ever since then I have an iron clad rule to NEVER sell any firearm I own. I have never sold one that I didn't regret losing, except I did give my nephew his Dad's Colt Python (which had been left to me) when he turned 21. Don't regret that. I also gave away a La Caruna Spanish Mauser back in the eighties to a friend. He still has it. A while back he told me it was "all rusted up" from sitting next to a broken clothes dryer vent, so I asked for it back. He said nope. So I went to see him the other day and it turns out that he was kidding me and it only had a few specks of rust, which he has cleaned up just fine. Can't believe I gave it away, but he's a good guy so I'm cool with it.
Some days it's not even worth gnawing through the restraints.
Alden

Post by Alden »

I have sold a few, a Remington 740 in .30-06, a Remington 700 in .243, and a Remington 700 BDL .300 Magnum. I decided I didn't need them.

Since then I bought another .243, a Tikka T3. That was the one caliber I regretted selling.
Some people are like slinkies....

They are not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

sbkittrell wrote:I used to sell off some of my guns occasionally when I was younger. About 10 years ago I sold a nice Marlin 1895 and Ruger Vaquero (both .45 long colt) combo. The minute they left my hands I realized that I regretted it. So ever since then I have an iron clad rule to NEVER sell any firearm I own. I have never sold one that I didn't regret losing, except I did give my nephew his Dad's Colt Python (which had been left to me) when he turned 21. Don't regret that. I also gave away a La Caruna Spanish Mauser back in the eighties to a friend. He still has it. A while back he told me it was "all rusted up" from sitting next to a broken clothes dryer vent, so I asked for it back. He said nope. So I went to see him the other day and it turns out that he was kidding me and it only had a few specks of rust, which he has cleaned up just fine. Can't believe I gave it away, but he's a good guy so I'm cool with it.
That is why I implemented my "Noah Rule" I try and buy two of each kind. Then I always have one, if I have to sell one. :D My wife asked me why I have 3 or more of certain rifles? I said that's simple, in case one dies. :big shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

I have primarily sold to upgrade my collection or to assist someone starting out when I had plenty of what I was selling. I sold a target .45 and I regret doing it, but it was one of those things where I needed the money right away. I'll get that one back some day.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I once traded a Remington Semi auto 30-06 rifle to a contractor friend in exchange for a ac compressor job on the house. I traded a Marlin bolt action goose gun for a water bed. I lost 10 nice assorted firearms to a lowlife castration deserving thug thief, sold a couple of Smith model 29's because they hurt my hand with full power 44 mag. Too stuborn at the time to realize that they would super accelerate in value and that I could have shot 44 specials for target practice. I sold a Browning Sweet 16 shotgun for 325 bucks years ago to pay a stinking bill. They are worth 800+ now adays. I'd like to have them all back, except for one piece of crap Ruger I bought last year for a good price and resold after one trip to the range. It was a Ruger PC4 carbine that shot 40S&W. It had a 900 pound lawyer trigger that sucked so bad I couldn't wait to get it gone. Made some good milsurp Mosin money on that one. Seems like I did one other stupid also but what was it? Oh yeah now I remember. :sad: I had a Ruger Mini 14 and a Mini 14 folding synthetic stock carbine that I had 300.00 invested in the pair. Sold them both because I thought I could always get another. Then that fool shot up the kids on the playground in Ca. and a inevitable gun ban launched Mini 14's to 500+ bucks apiece nearly overnight. I hate selling guns almost every time.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

I have bought duplicates only to sell the worst shape one, but a few I do have duplicates of, FR 8s, Mas 36s, Krags..... OK I only sell or trade off the ones I'm not fond of just to buy one in better shape or an oddity.

I've been slowly over the years dumping all my commercial made rifles, except a few, in favor of milsurps. I mean seriously, I can pick a Rem 700 ADL up anywhere anytime, but how often do you run across a Rem M1917 and actually have something that has had a life and story behind it. The selling/trading off of retail stuff, I don't give it a second thought.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

I kept one deer rifle, and sold off all my handguns when my daughter was a toddler, as I didn't want to run the risk of potential tragedy with young children and guns in close proximity. Nowadays she and her pals are teenagers, and can think for themselves, so I think it's appropriate to rethink the calculus of handguns in the home.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

There is no way I can rethink calculus.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Haven't sold one yet and don't plan too. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

I've never sold one, and I hope I never need to.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Buy, Sell, and Trade! I never stop trying to improve the collection. I have about 10 duplicates ready to go right now. I only sell face to face as it solves most any you never told me that problems. After as many years as I have been at it now it is normal for me to have a bunch pre-shot and function tested and ready to go. 91/24, Remington, Westinghouse, M91 B barrel, Real Ex-PU sniper, Partial Ex-dragoon, and bundles of others ready to go. I only sell face to face so don't bother asking about shipping it just isn't going to happen any more period. I take the cash and hoard it till a nice rifle comes along I need in a knitch I need to fill and I go after her! Part of the "Mosin Way of Life" I live. Bill
dou44

Post by dou44 »

i sell a few to buy something better ,but not to often.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have gifted close friends with a couple over the years, my pistol shooting friend Mike loves the Chinese SKS I gave him as a house warming give when he bought his new home some years ago. As for selling any? no, I still have them all, 30 years worth.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

I've only ever sold two guns. Two Remington Model 597 .22lr semi auto rifles. One was blued and the other was stainless steel. I bought them both on sale at the same time because I thought they looked cool. Paid about $350 to $400. Sold them to a gun store in a bind for money and he only gave me $75 for the pair in the boxes and one hadn't been shot. I ended up not liking the way they shot so I don't regret selling, just having to sell them so damn cheap. Besides that I've had 3 firearms stolen, 2 AT-22 Feather Industries and a S&W .357 Mag. Besides these I have every other firearm I've ever aquired. It's so hard to let them go. They're like my children. :D
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

What is your state of residence ZeeBill?
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Burrhead

Post by Burrhead »

ya I have sold a few and ended up kicking myself in the butt for doing it. But I never have lost money on a weapon I sold.