M1939 Sawtooth - "like new"

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
TopperT

M1939 Sawtooth - "like new"

Post by TopperT »

I would like to share with all of you this wonderful M39 rifle # 29149. Manufactured by VKT on a 1901 Izhevsk receiver and stamped 1942 it 'appears' to be a very early 1942 production allowing to its early serial number. Production numbers for the M39 at VKT begin at 25189. This one then is number 3,860 in the run, which makes it early of the total of 51,038 rifles made. Its the only sawtooth M39 I have, and frankly while I know they are out there, I haven't seen one in person.

According to "Rifles of the White Death", the "sawtooth" stocks were "replacement" stocks begun about 1944. If that is correct, this rifle is in remarkable condition given its early manufacturing date BUT...having this type of stock, indications are that this rifle was issued, and for what ever reason had to be restocked OR.......this one was NOT issued in 1942 and was stocked AFTER the close of hostilities.

I also have the Finnish 'hang-tag' for this rifle.

The metal has a plumb colour to it....no visable indication that it is the off-refered to "B" series, but plumb hue to all metal none-the-less. Truth is this one is by far more 'plumb' colour than my "B" rifle!

There is only one single 'dent' (shown) in the wood to mar this otherwise very clean rifle. Bore is VERY strong and unusual for these rifles, this one shoots LOW!

It is shimmed and has a great two-stage trigger. I attached a photo of the target I shot on Friday at 125 yards and the accuracy speaks for itself.

Got house chores today (no shooting for me) but first I wanted to post this and share. Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
ponycarman

Re: M1939 Sawtooth - "like new"

Post by ponycarman »

Gorgeous rifle! Nice shooting too! I have got to find me one of these sometime haha.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

Nice rifle. The correct term is, "transitional"--not sawtooth. :thumbsup:
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

I used "saw-tooth' as thats a common reference. Bowser, refers to these as "replacement stock - post 1944" . I didn;t know there was a "transition period" from rounded to square "finger mortised" stocks.

If its more correct to call them "transitional" I can live with that.......just never heard them called that before......but I am still learning and I have a lot to learn......thanks for the correction.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bb91

Post by bb91 »

Beautiful M39 with an excellent bore.

There are two differing/prevelant opinions about the "plum" color, some say that it is the high nickel content in the Belgium made barrels, others say that is was caused by different procedures/temperatures in the bluing processes, maybe they are both right?

There doesn't seem to have been very many transitional stocks produced, sure is an attractive feature, looks like a great shooter too!

Congrats!
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

The "colour" in this one is very apparent, far more so than in any of my other rifles. I had read about the nickel content theory and It would seem to make sense. What is of great interest to me and I would appreciate any information on this; the serial number is very low for a rifle from 1942......especially 'given' that production totals vary from report to report.

As has been said so many times, we will likely never know about all the marks and stampings, but it figures that the Finnish rifles may have a better history to them.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D Very nice !!!!
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
husker51

Post by husker51 »

Nice Finn! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

TopperT wrote:The "colour" in this one is very apparent, far more so than in any of my other rifles. I had read about the nickel content theory and It would seem to make sense. What is of great interest to me and I would appreciate any information on this; the serial number is very low for a rifle from 1942......especially 'given' that production totals vary from report to report.

As has been said so many times, we will likely never know about all the marks and stampings, but it figures that the Finnish rifles may have a better history to them.
Probably an M91 barrel turned down to M39 specs.
Celt

Post by Celt »

Nice! Beautiful rifle Topper! :D :D :D
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice One Jim! :vcool: :vcool: Love your single rifle and range reports. I think this is #2 so only 12 more reports on the M39s.. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

This rifle is the best so far Brad, I have yet to shoot my Finn 91/30 or the M91 but so far, this rifle is the best I have shot.

I wondered about the possibility of it being a M91 barrel, it does carry the AV 1 stamp on the receiver as well as the 36VKT00 proof mark.

I just found it interesting as its in such great condition for its age. Either it must have either had a charmed life or was very well taken care of, but its "home" now..
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I have a sako that has a lot of plum in it too. The B barrel i have has plum splotches and there are sight parts from both that are plum colored. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

My "B" looks like a fur seal.....all patches of light and dark :chuckles: :chuckles: got this "mottled" grey/plumb colour.....if it didnt have the damn "B: it would not be on the wall in the cave :chuckles: :chuckles: ,.....this is by far the better rifle.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I remember the B you got. I believe you got it for a cheapo bid too. :thumbsup: My B was as if it was never used. :D
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Very nice :thumbsup: , I like how the rear site slider stands out with it's bright plum finish.

My only "B" barrel is an M91 and it has a beautiful bore, but no plum color, yet another I gotta shoot someday :oops: That one also at some point got the highly sought after M27 trigger installed :shock: should be interesting.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Augmister

Post by Augmister »

Nice, nice, nice. Great shooting, too! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
HexNut

Post by HexNut »

Great score TT, nice rifle, especially with the rarer stock splice !!
Firearms without ammunition are like teats on a boar hog. Useless!