Increased value of Mosins

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
hoshow

Re: Increased value of Mosins

Post by hoshow »

Longcolt44 wrote:Yer welcome..That's big Long little colt. Or just LC to all my friends here.
If you don't object I will call you LC then :pointup:
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Yougodit!!
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

When I first got into these, a couple of my shooting buddies were making fun of the rifles, even calling them ugly. I told them they were missing the boat on one of the most historically significant firearms in history. They laughed. They all have at least one now. Anyone who says that a crate of Mosins is not a thing of beauty is out of their mind.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The only problem with the crates is that they have to be truck shipped and most dealers don't want to get involved with that.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bcposton

Post by bcposton »

Longcolt44 wrote:
hoshow wrote:
BrokeDad wrote:If you buy two or more handguns in a week it has to be reported BTW .. this does not apply to long guns. Just FYI as it's one of those rules I was told if I ever decided to start selling or transferring with my license.
I imagine it's only applicable to buying from the same dealer as you can't know what someone else sold a person.
Thank you that is good to know. I don't know if I will ever buy two handguns in a week, but that is info I did not know. :thumbsup:
Just to clear this up a bit. The reporting is up to the FFL. There is no paperwork or reporting by the buyer. Also, all states bordering Mexico have the same requirement for long guns.
The border state long gun requirement applies only to "certain rifles" (it is what the form says). These certain rifles only apply to centerfire semi-automatics with a detachable magazine. You know the evil black guns.....

Form 3310.12
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

redeuce wrote:When I first got into these, a couple of my shooting buddies were making fun of the rifles, even calling them ugly. I told them they were missing the boat on one of the most historically significant firearms in history. They laughed. They all have at least one now. Anyone who says that a crate of Mosins is not a thing of beauty is out of their mind.
I think a crate of just about any gun would be a thing of beauty :biggrin: . I have friends that used to say the same thing and now are Mosin addicts too.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I remember a crate full of US M1903 rifles I once saw, now that was something you don't see every day :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I remember a crate full of US M1903 rifles I once saw, now that was something you don't see every day :)
:Drool1: :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They were unissued rebuilt for WW2 rifles, the same ones that now sell for near a grand each, I don't remember how many were in the crate.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

One main thing one must consider when you "invest" in rifles is the shape of the market at the time you buy and sell. Right now at Gun shows and such events unless it is for taking deer you are not finding many buyers out there. If it is worth $500 on a down market you will not be able to get your money back out of something. If people are more concerned with survival than buying your $500 rifle you are flat out of luck. Not a lot of buyers with money these days and that is why you get so many tire kickers at the gun shows these days. Bill :wink:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They are all at home buying on gunbroker, I watch at least 80 rifles a week transfer on GB, most for prices that would have given me a heart attack back when I bought mine.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

As a new Mosin collector you are already paying more than double what these same rifles sold for in 2000. If you are buying a M1891. or M39, or any FInn built Mosin you are paying five times or even more what we paid in 1992. This for ordinary rifles. Soon the supply will run out, already the carbines are in short supply and you are paying an average of $220 for what I paid $75 for in just 2006. Each year there are new collectors wanting to buy a Mosin, each year there are fewer to go around because Bubba will ruin some, fires and floods take some more, and prices will rise at a steady rate. I overpaid for some of my Mosins back in the day, but prices have now not only caught up to what I paid but far surpassed them, and continue to rise. I also need to point out that there are not 17-20 million Mosins coming into the US, not even remotely close. That might be the total number made by 1948, we don't know for sure because the Soviets would never share that number. That number does not account for rifles lost in war, worn out in peace, lost to attrition over time, and the ones that remained in stashes inside Russia that we will never see. It does not account for the many thousands of rifles sent to countries other than the US. Right here on the forum we have refurb Mosin owners in Canada, Denmark, The UK, Spain, Italy, Germany, Ukraine,Iceland, and probably a few other countries I don't know about. We only get a part of the Ukrainian stash, we share it with the rest of the world. So unless you plan to kick it within a year you will see appreciation, slow, but sure over time.
Theodore Roosevelt
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

My friend Chris who got me into Mosins was barely interested in them himself. Until I started showing my type 53s and 91/30s to him. He bought a type 53 for himself, and is looking to pick up another and a 91/30 while they are still $100. I believe he has developed a slight fever :lol:
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

just got my first one, cleaned it up, ran out of youtubes to watch and landed here with you guys I'm ready to buy by the crate. Is there any hope for me? qz2026
Private

Private messageE-mail qz2026

No sir, there is no known cure 8-)
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

hoshow wrote:My friend Chris who got me into Mosins was barely interested in them himself. Until I started showing my type 53s and 91/30s to him. He bought a type 53 for himself, and is looking to pick up another and a 91/30 while they are still $100. I believe he has developed a slight fever :lol:
They sell an ointment for that. Doesn't work on everyone though. :D