1930 Izhevsk serial number 37

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
racerguy00

Re: 1930 Izhevsk serial number 37

Post by racerguy00 »

Mike wrote:
racerguy00 wrote:JYD, I'm not sure this was the case before the alpha numeric prefixes were added. Many many low serial numbered mosins carry receivers dated from the previous year like the one posted here. They weren't completed until the following year so the dates are a year off. This is different than a recycled receiver. I've seen this with mosins dated from the 1800's on up.

After finding my first SCW 91/30, ithilsdorf's SCW database got me interested in tracking where various 36 and 37 dated mosins turned up. There are definite patterns that indicate the numbers started low and went consecutive for those years. That kind of research was exactly the type of thing the soviets went to the prefixes to prevent.
I have a '32 Izhevsk with a '31 tang date, the serial number is 66436 so it wan't just the low serial number ones that got an older receiver.

I totally agree. :D I've seen some really high numbered rifles with the tang dated from the previous year. It just seems that type of thing and other examples like barrel shank dates overstamped with the following year tend to trend towards lower serial numbered rifles from what I've observed. And yes, I meant 1890's.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
cj1964

Post by cj1964 »

Finding a 2 digit serial number, especially on a 1930 rifle is very interesting indeed! I'd say it's a keeper for sure!!
Unfortunately, our rifles are full of ambiguous markings, serial numbers being no exception. To the murky waters of our understanding, I offer the following observation. About 20 years ago a friend bought a pallet of rifles he intended to sell. On it, he found 2 consecutively numbered guns! The odd thing is - one is dated 1944 and the other is dated 1945.
It's enough to drive a collector crazy. :)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I hope he held on to them.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
pacolo90

Post by pacolo90 »

:welcome2: Very cool ex-dragoon :thumbsup:
"If guns were banned, I'd sure think twice before using one to commit a crime, said no criminal, ever" - unknown
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: 1800's? :) Like so many other things about the Mosin the Russians aren't talking, at least not to us, K-H (Karl-Heinz Wrobel, author of "Drei Linien, Die Gewehre Mosin-Nagant" ) was the one who explained the serial numbers to me years back after I picked up a two digit serial number refurb and thought I had something special ( and valuable :) ) I had thought he had access to some documentation to back it up, however I can't read the required German to read his books and get the full answer. After that small disappointment I paid little attention to serial numbers.
I can ask him, but I don't think that applies to all Mosins; at least not to early M91's.
rangerkeeler

Post by rangerkeeler »

here are some better pics...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rangerkeeler

Post by rangerkeeler »

here are more pics, bolt, left/right receiver, butt plate etc..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rangerkeeler

Post by rangerkeeler »

You guys are all wonderful, and thank you for the comments and feedback! Feels like I didn't ever stop collecting;)
rangerkeeler

Post by rangerkeeler »

Rongo wrote:There is no prefix before the serial number.... Is there on any of the other parts?

Most likely things got ground down & re-stamped in the refurbishment process.... More detailed photos would be helpful to discern if that is indeed the case. At any rate, It's a fine looking 1930 Izhevsk... Much more desirable than a Tula since they made fewer of them in these years.

Excellent example & welcome to the forum. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
I just posted some more of the rest of the numbers..
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

cool rifle. Post of a the whole rifle.. I'd like to see the stock... I also have a 1931 on a 1930 reciver.. Kinda cool to find different stuff. Thats whats cool about these war rifles, is they are all different.. Each having their own story.

jb
rangerkeeler

Post by rangerkeeler »

I will get more pics tonight, the stock appears to be total refurb but will post. The upper has the brass fittings on end..
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

rangerkeeler wrote:I will get more pics tonight, the stock appears to be total refurb but will post. The upper has the brass fittings on end..
Great!! I would love to see some more of it. :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
rangerkeeler

Post by rangerkeeler »

Here are some more pics of stock..
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
rangerkeeler

Post by rangerkeeler »

Thank you;) I am going to pick up my Remington Mosin tomorrow!
rangerkeeler

Post by rangerkeeler »

jeremyb wrote:cool rifle. Post of a the whole rifle.. I'd like to see the stock... I also have a 1931 on a 1930 reciver.. Kinda cool to find different stuff. Thats whats cool about these war rifles, is they are all different.. Each having their own story.

jb
I like the rifle in your pic, also looks like a nice range!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

rangerkeeler wrote:Thank you;) I am going to pick up my Remington Mosin tomorrow!
:thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt