Need help on a K31

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
billybob123

Need help on a K31

Post by billybob123 »

I am going tomorrow to look at my first K31 and have no idea what to look for to see if I should get it. It does have the walnut stock but it has some dings in it, but not too bad. He's asking 275 and I think I can get if for 250

1) how do I tell if the action is good on it?
2) what are some key things to check out
3) Is that a fair price
4) how hard is it to reload for
5) does it take .308 caliber bullets when you do your own reloads. I know it's 7.5x55 but do you use the .308 size bullets for reloading
6) any other suggestions
Greasemonkey

Re: Need help on a K31

Post by Greasemonkey »

It's normal for the wood to be in rough shape, the Swiss were rough on stocks, but the metal work is 99% of the time pristine. Being a walnut stock chances are it's dated '45 or before. As for the action, as long as it locks up tight there should be no issues, just don't baby it, slap it open and shut with the palm of the hand. One dead give away to the action not being fully locked is it wont fire. The year built can be traced through the serial.

Reloading is easy with the correct dies, it uses standard .308 bullets, the surplus ammo while expensive is superb. Brass is available at various retailers. Bore condition is usually very good, some K31's were rebuilt at various points, my '41 was rebarrelled in '54. I'd say for 250 it's well worth it given some are selling for 300 plus. Usually the magazine, receiver and bolt have serial numbers that in theory should match, I've only seen one that didn't match.

One little thing, kind of an added bonus, pull the but plate and check for a troop tag, the stock will usually have a year made stamp there also. These were issues to troops who took the weapons home and has info like rank, age, division, some even have name and address. And a few people have contacted the original owners in Switzerland.
This sight has a ton of info on K31's
http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/schmidt_rubin.html#m31
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Swiss rifles are mostly found with excellant barrels and metal as said. Their ammo was not corrosive so they are all shiny and mirror bores for what i have seen. A walnut stock is a nice plus to me, and the price is good at $250. Check for magazine matching number. :D These rifles are very accurate and built really well. You will love the way they shoot.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
EJTHor

Post by EJTHor »

1. Never seen a bad Swiss action. The only parts you really need to check are the locking lugs on the collar, the operating rod cam pin, and firing pin. Check for cracks on the locking lugs. Check for a crack on the pin where the operating rod goes into the bolt collar. Check the firing pin for tip damage. If all three of those things are good, you should be good to go. Headspace isn't usually an issue on Swiss guns. There are only three bolt heads. The correct headspace can be found under the extractor if removed.

2. Key things to check out......Bore and muzzle crown. Again, never seen a Swiss rifle with a bad barrel (they're more often than not damn near perfect). Check for a troop tag under the buttplate.

3. Yes. Keep in mind, most of the stocks are pretty rough, so dings, dents, scratches, and water damage are normal.....particularly on the butt.

4. No harder than .308, but make sure you get K31 specific dies. Some are fine for 96/11's, G1911's, and K11's, but won't work with the K31.

5. Yes. It uses .308 diameter bullets. Just remember, with a throat as tight as the K31's, you need to pay particular attention to length. Some bullets work better than others. I've heard people have good luck with Berger VLD's.

6. Buy it. Shoot it. Be amazed by the accuracy. Be amazed that something so perfectly machined could be made so long ago.
billybob123

Post by billybob123 »

Based on the serial number it's a 1944. Did they use beech then or just walnut. It is hard to tell if its beech or walnut
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I have a 45 that is beech. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
tincansailor

Post by tincansailor »

My K31 is also a 1944, It is walnut but it sure looked like beech at first sight. I think beech started in 45. :D
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 1970-1973
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

The price is right. I just bought a 96/11 and a 1911 carbine. I have a 1940 K31 in Beech. There is still GP11 ammo available at a fair price. They are usually very good shooters.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

I have a 1949 with a Walnut stock, it was in immaculate shape but I paid $325.00 for it. But I live in California, we pay too much for guns here.

Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

On the K31 stock wood, from what I understand from other Swiss collectors, the K31 carbine serial 868901 built in April 1946 is frequently the referred to date/serial when the change over to beech stocks occurred. At the time there were still walnut stocks floating around that were made prior to the beech and they were used on and off till exhausted. Most K31 stocks have the date the stock was made stamped under the butt plate(also common to find some roman numerals), that would allow you to match serial date against stock date. A replacement stock/hand guard was also commonly serialized to match the receiver.

Some K31s were refurbished at Waffenfabrik Bern, there would be a small two digit number stamped on the tang behind the receiver, at that time some may have received a better condition or a newer stock due to constant abuse by troops. Others, will have two letters with two numbers which is the abbreviation of the Canton in Switzerland and year that a refurb was done. A Canton replaced stock most likely will also have a circle with a number in it also, the number is the Canton number.

So basically, if under the butt plate is '40 and the rifle serial dates it as '51, at some point work was performed by the Swiss(if numbers match) :thumbsup: or somebody wanted a walnut stock on their K31(if numbers don't match) :very mad: .

On the flip side, it's a K31, I've never seen one beech or walnut that didn't shoot great :D :thumbsup: ,
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Mine was made in 1942 and is wearing the walnut stock, I have seen some more "issued" looking stocks on K31's, especialy the butt area . I understand this comes of being stacked in the snow, however my rifle's stock is in excellent condition front to back. One day I must get that rifle out on the range, it's on the To-Do list since 2006.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
gwilly

Post by gwilly »

I was fortunate enough to pick up a K31 this summer :)

According to the serial number it appears to be a late 1937 & the date under the butt plate backs that up. It's a gorgeous black walnut stock that is in great shape. :vcool:
I find the front site kinda tough for these tired old eyes to see....but I do think they, K31s, are some of the best looking milsurps around! :thumbsup:

~GW
An old mountain man's prayer:
"Lord, I don't ask for a faith that would move yonder mountain.
I can take enough dynamite and move it, if it needs movin'.
I pray, Lord, for enough faith to move me."
billybob123

Post by billybob123 »

It's a mid to late '44 manufacture. Does indeed look like Walnut but the finish looks like crap and it's beat to hell 9 ways to Sunday. Unfortunately I am going to have to refinish the stock or else get splinters every time I use it, it really is that bad. I wasn't looking so much for a collector but more of a shooter so I am not too upset about having to do some work on the stock. I'll keep it as close to original as I can with the finish.