2400 powder and cast bullets

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

2400 powder and cast bullets

Post by bunkysdad »

Speaking of watching your loads, I am loading some light cast bullet loads using 18.0 grains of 2400 powder with a 185 gr gas check bullet. This powder could not only easily be double loaded, but a triple load is nearly possible! Best be watching what I'm doing and not doing the Mosin daydream while I am measuring powder. Supposedly even with a partially filled case this powder is supposed to get good ignition regardless of powder position when firing. No poly fill needed which is why I wanted this powder. Anyone else use 2400?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 2400 powder and cast bullets

Post by bunkysdad »

I think I will like this bullet if it shoots good, but it is sized .311, & if needed I may order a .314 sizer which basically would be crimping the gas check while leaving the bullet as cast. I am experimenting with bullet seat depth, rather than setting the bullet a few thousandths back from the rifling. Same 18gr of powder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Very careful is right, I weigh every loaded round just to be sure there is no major discrepancy between loads that would indicate a double charge, and that's after I double and triple check every thing I do along the way.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
avenger

Post by avenger »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Very careful is right, I weigh every loaded round just to be sure there is no major discrepancy between loads that would indicate a double charge, and that's after I double and triple check every thing I do along the way.
And thats exactly what people should do..its not worth losing an eye..or at worst your life...over a few extra minutes or so...
-John
"Hunting small animals is easy. You shoot at them with this and it lights them on fire and cooks them before you even get to them" -Me when showing picture of M44
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That's why I stick to a single stage press when dealing with the rifle cartridges, one step at a time, no hurry.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Simo

Post by Simo »

I use polly w/ 2400 anyways, just something I prefer. well, I did. not much for casting these days.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." -Declaration of Independence
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have hard lead in stock if you want to get back into it.
Theodore Roosevelt
Simo

Post by Simo »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I have hard lead in stock if you want to get back into it.
I have been pondering on it as I did save money doing it.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." -Declaration of Independence
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I had read that the 2400 would perform without the polyfill, as the powder was not sensitive to how it was resting inside the case, but I did not know from experience. Most other powders either need to have the remaining volume of the case filled with loose polyfill, or the cartridges need to be turned upwards before firing to locate the powder around the primer area, whisch seems rediculous to me. Well after shooting the cast 185 gr gas checked bullets this weekend with 18 grains of 2400 I now can assure you that this load is fantastic. It hits hard, hits true, and recoil is reduced to a level that I could literally shoot all day long. On the CAST BOOLITS forum this is what is considered " The Load" and I must agree.I have no range report pics however, as we were strictly shooting cans and such, from a standing posiion. No paper punching this time around. The bullet was sized to .311 when I crimped the gas check, so I wasn't sure how it would perform compared to the preferred size of .314 or in the case of my Lee mold the bullits drop out at .313" as cast. I remember Kari shooting .308 150 gr jacketed bullets in all of his Finn Mosins with excellent results. I have a lot of fun ahead of me that much I know. The rifles I was shooting was my M39 and my 1944 Izhevsk M44. From a standing position they felt equally accurate. From a bench of course I expect the M39 to steal the show.
Burrhead

Post by Burrhead »

Bunky, the load that is recommended for this powder in center fire rifle cartridges "starting load" is 16 grains and that is suppose to be for all the rifles in a cartridge capacity around the 308 Winchester in size. So I can believe that 18 grains would work well. I have yet to get good results using other powders bu I haven't really tried 2400 yet. I want to try Trail Boss also in my Mosins when I get some more 30 cal bullets casted. Good report, shoot some on paper and let us see those too.
res45

Post by res45 »

I always keep a few extra lbs. of 2400 around it's one of my favorite powders for cast bullet loads in handguns and rifles. My Chinese SKS gets a steady diet of Lee TL 165 gr. RN gas check bullets sized .314 using 12.5 grs. of 2400,drops the brass right at my feet 14.5 grs. put me right at 1900+ fps. with the same bullet but throws the brass a bit further.

In the 54r I use the same bullet and 16.0 grs. of 2400,it shoots as accurately as you can hold it. My Sav. 99 in 300 Sav. like 2400 as well using the Lee 150 gr. FN sized to .311 I use no filler in any of these loads and it's not required. Using a RCBS Lil Dandy and about five rotors I can throw any of the charges I use with 2400 for rifle and pistol loads,makes it pretty simple.

Some other powders that I use in military and commercial calibers for reduced cast bullet load are Alliant Red Dot and Bullseye. Red Dot is my backup for the 54r and plinker load powder for th 30-30. Bullseye is my plinker/small game load powder for subsonic loads in X39,30-30,300 Sav. and 54r. No filler is required for either of these powders as well.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Burrhead I want to get some Trailboss too, it will about fill the case I believe, but I was wondering if it would be more expensive to use? Res54, Red Dot and Bullseye loads sounds good too. For plinking anyway, which I enjoy when I get a chance to shoot other than at a range. What load is good for the Bullseye in 54r? I am thinking about making a powder order big enough to absorb the hazmat fee.
res45

Post by res45 »

Red Dot in rifle cartridges is not necessarily a plinker load per say I will just refer to this document http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/TheLoad.html

As far as the bullseye loads go they are all based on the little Lee 32 cal. .314 TL SWC. I load 2.7 to 3.0 grs. Bullseye under this bullet in cases of 7.62x39 to 300 Savage size,there loaded for accuracy more than velocity. The 3.2 to 3.5 gr. load of Bullseye is used in .308W up through '06 sized cases including the 7.62x54R,I have loaded 3.5 grs. Bullseye in my 30-30 loads and there very accurate and leave the bore nice and clean.

In the 7.62 x 39 and 54r which both have groove dia. of .312 I shoot the little bullet as cast with two light coats of Lee Alox thinned with mineral spirits,for the 300 Sav. and 30-30 I size the bullet down to .311 and give it a second coat of Alox after sizing. All bullets are crimped in the first lube groove with a light roll crimp. If you don't cast you can freely substitute the Hornady swaged 32 cal. .314 LSWC,I started out with those before purchasing the Lee mold and they shot great in my Mosin and 30-30.

5 shot string
Rifle Sav. 170B 30-30 pump
Mixed brass,Win. LR primer
Avg. MV 1087 fps.
Low MV 1080 fps. Shot #1 Cold bore
Shot # 2,3 and 4 were dead on 1084 fps.
High MV 1104 Fps. Shot #5
ES 24.0
SD 10.0
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Thanks Res, that is some great information. I plan on taking full advantage of it and working up some Red Dot loads for the Next range trip.
Longview

Post by Longview »

... and you guys KNOW I'm loving this thread!!
~Longview
"You can never get enough of what you don't need to make you happy." - Eric Hoffer
cgillette

Post by cgillette »

Loaded a lot of 2400 in my bulllets. Never had a problem. Never but Never take a chance on a double load. I do this one at a time which is a little slow but it works for me. cgillette
iwottopq

Post by iwottopq »

Hello to all.
I resume this talk becouse I have heard that the 2400 powder is the same (plus or minus) of the Vihtavuori N-110 and it is possible to use the same doses in the same cartridge. I will to start to load this powder (N-110) in my 1943 MN 1891/30 with a Lee 160 grs Lead GC bullet and Fiocchi LR primer. The brass are S.&B.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Nino
Mosin Nagant 1891/30 1943 7.62x54R
Remington 700 .223R
Carcano 1891/38 TS carbine 6.5x52
Baikal MH-18 .308W
Marlin X7 .308W
30M1 carbine by Saginaw .30M1
CZ452 .22LR
Erma-Werke M1 carbine .22LR
CZ 481 semiautomatic .22LR
Beretta Olimpia carbine .22LR
...and "some" handguns...
bcposton

Post by bcposton »

I use 16.0 grains 2400 using the Lee 160gr TL, gaschecked. No polyfill, never a problem with igniting the primer. I am able to achieve much better groups with this than with the surplus, just be prepared to adjust your sights as they drop much quicker. I normally set at 400m for a 100 yd shot.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

What do you pay for the Finnish powder? Is it more than the 2400? I have wanted to try some, and have wondered how clean it burns.
res45

Post by res45 »

bunkysdad wrote:What do you pay for the Finnish powder? Is it more than the 2400? I have wanted to try some, and have wondered how clean it burns.
bunkysdad up here in NC several local gun shops carry the Vihtavuori powders for reloading,they generally run about $10 per lb. more than other powders at around $30 per lb.

Alliant powders are always the cheapest around here follow by the Hodgdon line. IMR and Winchester powder are pretty much the same price and are slightly more expensive than Alliant or Hodgdon.