Basic 8 is complete

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Siam

Re: Basic 8 is complete

Post by Siam »

Silk#2 wrote:
Siam wrote:Nice purchase, must be nice to live so close to J&G. My basic eight was 1 ea 1920's x dragoon, 1 ea 1930's hex, 1 ea 1930's round and 1 ea 1940' round. Also added a 1940's low wall round. I know, that makes nine but I sometimes lose count. Then there are the basic 8 carbines, 1ea, M38/ M1891/59, Izhevsk M44, Chinese T53, Hungarian M44, Romanian M44 and Polish M44. Still need a Tula M44 and a Tula M38 to make my carbine basic 8. Oops 9, lost count again. We all need to make up as many basic 8 lists as we can :D

Only other type I have is a M27 ...don't see that on your list......10??? :bwink:
Nah, a M39 is already part of my next list, don't know what will eventually make up that list.
Silk#2

Post by Silk#2 »

ModelAUZI wrote:Wow nice. why only 8? I would think you would need at least 12 or 13 for a squad. :chuckles:
The 12 would be my leftovers.... :tongue: I gambled awhile back when Classic had unsearched 5 packs for sale..not sure what to do with the leftovers..
The 8
bcposton

Post by bcposton »

What is the mark on the receiver of the 28 Izhevsk? Almost looks like the imperial eagle or am I seeing things? Recycled receiver?
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

Silk,
I do not know, really, but are you kind of hiding info behind the falling snow and those lights? LOLOLOL!
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!
Silk#2

Post by Silk#2 »

desertgunner wrote:Silk,
I do not know, really, but are you kind of hiding info behind the falling snow and those lights? LOLOLOL!
I assume you mean why didnt i list the others???? I dont plan on keeping those...besides I didnt want everyone know how bad the disease has spread... :oops: I will sell/trade em for others ...ya thats my story......and i'm sticking to it... :chuckles:
The 8
Silk#2

Post by Silk#2 »

bcposton wrote:What is the mark on the receiver of the 28 Izhevsk? Almost looks like the imperial eagle or am I seeing things? Recycled receiver?
i am guessing yes just by the picks. the one on the left is the 28 and you cant see the screw on the tongue. As for the stamp it looks like 1/2 a wing other 1/2 is rubbed out or was a bad stamp mark.Will try and take it down today.
The 8
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Russians and Finn's never wasted a good receiver, and the receiver will outlast the rifle by many times. They used them over again as the came available.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Silk#2

Post by Silk#2 »

Odd not many markings under the reciever ...all I see is 917 and the Tula hammer..1917? Boss you are the wise one...

The 8
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

917=1917, the Hammer is Tula's old Imperial era marking. They sometimes used the full year and at other times you got two or three numbers only. 42=1942 and so on.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

8-)8-):P
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

desertgunner wrote:On picture 2, right above the crest, is a stamp looking like a 0 with two strokes in it. Does your rifle have that, too?

What itches me here is not only the similarity, but that it was done on Tula and Ishevsk rifles, probably in the refurb process. Have you had the rifle out of the furniture, yet? Or, when you do so, check the whole barrel for irregularities and the wood, too.
That might be interesting, as well as the marks. My upper hand guard is too long and the lower wood has a repair splice at the front.
Is the mark that you're referring to look almost like the symbol for pi? Kind of similar to this.. π..in a circle? If so that's the black powder proof mark from during production.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

symbol for pi, it's been so long I had to look it up :) We think it's the black powder proof mark, an educated guess, like most everything else we have little to no documentation on the Mosins tint markings. We know the arsenal marks, the date, the serial number, the rest are educated guesses and outright makin shit up. The Russians ain't talking to us about it that's for sure.
Theodore Roosevelt