Question on Counterboring?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
VelocityKnives

Question on Counterboring?

Post by VelocityKnives »

Hey All,

I was wondering what is the Reasoning behind counterboring a rifle like they do to the MOSINS,,,,excuse me if this has been asked before but I cant think of the reasoning behind it..

Regards,

AL
Weapons:

91/30 1943 Mosin Counterbore
91/30 1943 Mosin
.22 Marlin 25N Rifle
.22 Ruger Mark 3 Slabside competition
CZ40B .40 s/w
Taurus PT-92AF 9mm
Iver Johnson 16ga single shot Champion Model
SKS Chinese Security Force 7.62x39
Three_Dogs

Re: Question on Counterboring?

Post by Three_Dogs »

Counter boring was done to restore the accuracy of the rifle. When the end of the barrel gets damaged they do not shoot as accurately.
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

To recrown a rifle. These were used and then cleaned using hard steel cleaning rods and it messed up the rifling. as you know a bad crown will ruin accuracy, so instead of cutting off the worn rifleing they counterbored the barrel to where the good rifling was to correct accuracy. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Sometimes you will find otherwise nice rifles that bubba lopped the last two inches off the barrel since he didn't own a counterbore of his own. :very mad:
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Bubba own a counter bore? I doubt any self respecting Bubba knows what a counter bore much less owns one. Modin rifles are not the only riles that have counterbores by the way. I have seen a few other rifles with a counter bore. Bill :)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I have a few fancy black powder rifles that are counterbored for ease of loading a bullet. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I did see a Brit. No 1 mk3 at a gunsmith
that still had a broken off drill bit where a counterbore was intended to be. :?
The gunsmith didn't do it.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I don't have a counterbored rifle but I do have one that was re-crowned, the barrel is about 1/8" shorter than my other two 91/30s, it's actually fairly obvious when you compare the length of barrel beyond the front sight. The barrel tip was not re-blued.
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
VelocityKnives

Post by VelocityKnives »

Hey,

Ahh ok that makes sense,,, thanks for the info,,, now I will know to look closer when im thinking of buying one of these rifles...

Regards,
AL
Weapons:

91/30 1943 Mosin Counterbore
91/30 1943 Mosin
.22 Marlin 25N Rifle
.22 Ruger Mark 3 Slabside competition
CZ40B .40 s/w
Taurus PT-92AF 9mm
Iver Johnson 16ga single shot Champion Model
SKS Chinese Security Force 7.62x39
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They just drill out the last inch of rifling ( or so) and reset the crown down in the bore past the damaged section. Better to have it, than need it and not have it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

desdem12 wrote:I have a few fancy black powder rifles that are counterbored for ease of loading a bullet. :thumbsup:
Some of the old Muzzle loader black powder rifles came with what are called false muzzles. Small sections of rifle barrel temporarily pinned to the muzzle to start bullets in the barrel. This practice saved wear and tear on the barrel when loading the rifle. They usually had a large lollypop affair on the top to remind the shooter after loading to take the false muzzle off and not launch it down range with his shot. Bill :lol:
neorebel

Post by neorebel »

I have a 91/30 that's counterbored. It shoots great. I get around a 1 1/2 group at 100 yards with her with Bulgarian stamped ammo. So don't worry it was done for accuracy from a badly cleaned barrel....it was war!!!

Enjoy it!
bcposton

Post by bcposton »

My best shooting 91/30 has a counterbore. I, too was leary of the counterbore but decided to buy it since it had other attributes I was looking for. Turns out to be the best decision as I can outshoot some of the tacticool boys with it :-)
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

BrokeDad wrote:Mentioned this in another post. I hope all the guests browsing (and thinking about that mosin purchase) at least learn to NOT use the cleaning rod they come with and pick up a modern rifle cleaning kit.
I'm new to Russian surplus mosins but always look for this when buying something in person. It is very easy to tell when a rifle has been counter-bored or crowned.
When crowned they never re-blue the barrel tip but I have seen some where they tried to hide it using a black felt marker at the gun shows.
Actually, you CAN use the cleaning rod that came with the gun, as long as you also received a complete accessory kit. The accessory kit includes a muzzle cap with a hole in it that acts to keep the cleaning rod from touching the top of the barrel. My regular cleaning kit included a brass bore guide that slips on the cleaning rod and prevent it from touching the tip of the barrel. Most decent cleaning kits come with that item nowadays. :)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You CAN use it, however we do not recommend it. The issue rod is made from the same ordinance steel as the barrel, it's length forces it's use from the muzzle only, rather than from the breech. A slight bend in that rod and you have steel to steel contact in the bore wearing on the rifling. The kit does come with a cap to put over the muzzle to prevent contact in this area, but they do not always fit tightly, and are themselves steel and can cause scratching to the blue around the muzzle. We recommend purchasing a good, one piece rod from Dewey, or Tipton in the proper size for your weapon. A bore guide is also a nice addition, and always clean from the breech.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jonnyboy091373

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

I have an Otis cleaning system that works well for me, plus it is very portable so I can take it to the range. People have mixed feelings about them though.
neorebel

Post by neorebel »

jonnyboy091373 wrote:I have an Otis cleaning system that works well for me, plus it is very portable so I can take it to the range. People have mixed feelings about them though.
People have mixed feelings about everything......as long as it works for you and you like it!!! :attn:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I have mixed feelings for the Otis system. On one hand I want one, and on the other hand I really really want one!:P
jonnyboy091373

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

the only down side to the otis system i have seen in my three months of using it, is that you cant really go back and forth with it. it's in the breech and out the muzzle, which can make scrubbing kind of hard. but that to me isnt that bad.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That's what you should be doing with any cleaning system, one way only, no "scrubbing"
Theodore Roosevelt