M95 Hungary??

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Blueliner

M95 Hungary??

Post by Blueliner »

Yesterday I was at a local shop that has a lot of nice old stuff. I picked up a carbine and the tag said Hungarian M95. Somewhere I saw that it was 8mm Mauser caliber. On the receiver it said Hungary and Budapest and I did not see import marks (however i wasn't looking). It was in great shape but I didn't pay much attention to it because I was focused on something else at the time. It was only hours later that I have been asking myself questions I should have asked before. Tag also said $150. I cannot get back to the shop until Monday. Any thoughts on if it is something I should look into further or if it is simply an M95

Thanks gents
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: M95 Hungary??

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's probably one of the straight pull M95 refurbs, last I heard these were not chambered for 8mm Mauser, 8x56r was it, I forget. Sounds like a decent enough price .
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Re: M95 Hungary??

Post by desdem12 »

There are a bunch of M95s that were made into 8mm mauser. I personaly see them all the time and the shop close to me has one now. Hungarian should have the word budapest on the crest. The most important thing to look for would be the M95 part. If they were modified to take the mauser round it should say
M95M where the regular M95 is. If not then i think it is a M95 in 8mmx56R hungarian or 8x50R if thereis no S on the shank.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)