How Do I Fix the Hair Trigger on my Hungarian M44?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Capybara

How Do I Fix the Hair Trigger on my Hungarian M44?

Post by Capybara »

Hi all:

I picked up a beautiful condition, slightly Bubba'd (some idiot sunk sling studs into the stock and painted the sling ferrules black?!?!?) Hungarian M44 at a recent gun show. I removed the sling studs, filled the holes with plastic wood and colored to get close to the blonde stock color. Have not shot it yet and upon further examination for cleaning and adjusting the firing pin protrusion, I discovered that this M44 has a hair trigger.

I did the phone book test (cocking empty gun and slamming butt of gun down on phone book), yep, the trigger was triggered by doing this. I took the trigger apart and it appears that someone either stoned the trigger sear off at a "Finnish" angle or installed a "Finn Angled Sear?" and perhaps did too much polishing on the contact point? See picture. So is fixing this as easy as ordering a new sear from Numrich? The rest of the trigger seems untouched, rifle is in great shape. I just don't want a hair trigger gun.

Thanks for any advice.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How Do I Fix the Hair Trigger on my Hungarian M44?

Post by millman »

Just replace it.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Welcome to the forum. One of our sponsors has them.
https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... ategory=17
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

Based upon how this looks? Does it look like that little chunk missing on the end could be a factor? Is the sear typically what is responsible for a hair trigger?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the forum, replace the trigger and bolt stop ( sear) don't take any chances with either of these parts, a negligent discharge can be very expensive.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

The rear of the top portion has been rounded off, it should have more of a crisp edge to it. Simple to fix, just replace it.
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

Will do guys. Thanks for the advice. Having a gun with a hair trigger definitely makes me nervous.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

At some point you might come across some 02 marked Hungarian parts, there were enough Hungarian M44's imported that parts are not impossible to find, but for now Soviet ones will do it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

Just ordered the trigger set from Liberty Tree up above. Will post back on how it works.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt