picked up my first mosin tonight!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: picked up my first mosin tonight!

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's fine, just don't use boiling water on the wood or you may lift the shellac off. Make sure to oil any metal you clean as soon as you are done.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
luke9511

Post by luke9511 »

i did oil the spring with remoil i think its called, i sprayed both sides and wiped off the excess
Tempus Fugit
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
luke9511

Post by luke9511 »

thanks jyd i was just making sure i was oiling it correctly :)
Tempus Fugit
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

:D Hi, Luke, nice to meet you and your first firearm, nice one, too :D

Maybe we can help you a little better, if you go up a bit in the forum display and find Dolk's thread about cleaning and read that first.

Then here are some general rules:
1. Never pour hot water over wood or use any liquid containing alcohol in any which way on wood, as JYD already wrote.
2. Metal parts like bolt, magazine and parts and receiver/barrel can be accessed to clean with hot water and/or alcohol, to be slightly oiled after any treatment.
3. Degreasing a Mosin needs a takedown first, information about that is here somewhere or came with the box your rifle was in. Then using mineral spirits on the metal parts, especially the bolt, is fine. Take an aluminum food pan and soak your bolt in MS.
You can use the same bath for your open oil cans and greasd tools, also the magazine spring. 24 hours do the job, then wiping and
oiling are called for. Doing the bathing thing on the barrel plus attachments is ok, the sun-sweat method always works, too. You will not get all the fat (it is not Cosmoline, nowadays) out of the wooden parts for some time. Whenever I have my rifles out in the desert sun, they will sweat some more out, no big deal.
4. Take your time! and again take your time. Check your headspace in case your bolt has issues to lock after the fat is gone, if it works and the barrel is clean, you are ready for a test shot, one round in the magazine only and fire in a safe direction with the rifle in both hands and the receiver turned away from you, don't forget your eye/ear protection. If that first shot goes out,and I have no doubt about that, and you extract it easily, then you have no chamber problem.
5. If you have an extracting issue, come back to the forum!!! We will try to help you further. See JYD's comment above!
6. Not to forget: Do not intend to disassemble your bolt without learning how-to first, you might get hurt. When the bolt comes out of the 24 hour mineral spirits bath, you can blow-dry it with canned air or a blow dryer on hot to drive out the last of the crud fat, if so still in there.
No hot blow dryer on wood, ever!

I am writing this a little expanded, remembering my first Mosin and Enfield, so I thought to concentrate the above points might help you a bit.

Welcome again, new Mosin owner, let us know with pics, how she shoots! :pointleft:

And welcome to Mosinitis! :mrgreen: When are you going to buy your next? :biggrin:
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

Just saw your post on using remoil! If that is the Remington stuff, do not use this on the bolt! It has Teflon in it and it can cause a build-up inside your bolt. I used it in good faith and it helped build up residue in my sks-bolt, where I really NOT needed it. If you want to oil your weapon, as JYD says all the time, use engine oil....it is cheaper and works the same.......

Good Night, y'all........this gunner goes horizontal. :D :D :D
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I bought ten quarts of 40 weight engine oil at the dollar store, stuff is thick as molasses. I wouldn't use it in an engine on a bet, but for guns it's great, I cut it 50/50 with some kerosene and it flows well. You can just buy a quart of the good stuff for five bucks and for most people it would be a lifetime supply, the good stuff being Mobile one in it's lightest grade. Before you shoot that rifle wipe any excess oil off the bolt, and run a cleaning patch or two down the bore to remove all the oils. Shooting a rifle with oil in the chamber can cause a high pressure situation to develop, so clean it out before firing.
Theodore Roosevelt
luke9511

Post by luke9511 »

oops i did use remoil on the bolt, i thinking maybe i should find someone locally who can help
Tempus Fugit
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

So just wipe the oil off,
Theodore Roosevelt
mrb7

Post by mrb7 »

luke9511 wrote:oops i did use remoil on the bolt, i thinking maybe i should find someone locally who can help

And when you do the take down, don't do it upside down the first time. Check as you lift the receiver to see if the poor guys before you put any shims in place. If so, pay attention to their placement. No need to redo that work if possible.

Most likely you'll have none. Especially on an arsenal refurbished. But just in case look.
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

Dextron II ATF is another lubricant option for firearms. It's still fairly inexpensive but has worked well for me on any cartridge firearm on which I've used it. From M2 Brownings down to my 17HRM I use for pest control. It doesn't tend to gum like petroleum based motor oils.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Dex is basic 10 weight oil with additives added for improving transmission performance, it has the benefit of not needing to be cut with kerosene to thin it out except in very cold weather when you should be using very little lubricant anyway. Some people are put off by the color, you can also find straight 10 weight motor oil, and regular hydraulic fluid with the same viscosity but without the color. The additives that make Dex the best choice for transmissions don't come into play much on firearms. I use Dex all the time as I tend to forget the oil can when I am at the range, over to the nearest car I go and out comes the Transmission dip stick :)
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I think I have tried all the oils. I am currently using synthetic motor oil, and also trying Marvel mystery oil. Teflon buildup on the firing pin and spring. I don't know about that, if the bolt gets taken down after shooting, if not, ???
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I clean everything before shooting , and of course any buildup that is there does not survive the solvents I use during after shooting cleanup.
Theodore Roosevelt
luke9511

Post by luke9511 »

hey everyone long time no siege! anyway i finally fired my mosin back in 2015 and even know i used remoil it kept everything in great condition and the bolt operated flawlessly and is smooth as butter!
Tempus Fugit
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

luke9511 wrote:hey everyone long time no siege! anyway i finally fired my mosin back in 2015 and even know i used remoil it kept everything in great condition and the bolt operated flawlessly and is smooth as butter!
Sounds like it may be overdue for some more firing! Get out there and enjoy that thing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Remnove wood and very hot water down the barrel. I then hook it to my sink in the garage and run hot, hot, hot water down it. The grease will melt away. I have never experienced sticky bolt on any of my Mosin.
dolk
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I picked up 2-3 in 1979 but I didn't take 'em home :facepalm2: $29 would buy 4 cases of beer back then. I guess you could say, I coulda had a 1919 Tula but I pissed it away :music2.gif:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"