Picked up my Saiga yesterday!!!

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
ponycarman

Re: Picked up my Saiga yesterday!!!

Post by ponycarman »

I think I'm going for a more traditional and simple build. I would like to swap the fore end to an ak style too. Maybe a sight of some kind. Some ak's look ok with rails but I'm not much of a "rail" everywhere person haha. Good looking rifle though. I think I got lucky with this rifle. It has the reciever dimples, the pistol grip hole is already cut, and I believe the barrel is already threaded under the shroud.
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Mine had everything BUT the threads, which is weird as I don't have the stepped chamber so you'd think that it would have ALL the military goodies on that line but NO... I cut my shroud with a tubing cutter (ruined one cutter wheel is all) and nope, just a regular barrel.

I've taken the rail off the bottom of the handguard, it just didn't feel right on there. I did have a Magpul angled foregrip on it but it's sitting here on my desk now, just didn't care for that either. We set the laser for 20 feet, it's for when the zombies get real close. :big shock:

I will say it's the most "fun" rifle I've ever owned. Functions flawlessly unlike every AR that I've had experiences with. But what do you expect, with only 14 parts in the thing>? lol
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Cool. The fun factor is very important. I hate boring firearms haha. Wouldn't want to shoot zombies with a boring rifle ;)

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

From what I understand from watching the series it's better to shove a tire iron into a zombie's eye socket and let it's filthy, decomposing gore run down over your bare hands rather than risk the noise of shooting them.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Yeah but tire irons are in short supply, you oughta know that, all the cars have now are them stupid folding things with a wanna-be socket on one end and a little lip on the other to take off the wheel cover...haven't seen a real lug wrench since like mid-70's...
Celt

Post by Celt »

Nice rifle pony!
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Thanks buddy!

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

mogunner wrote:Yeah but tire irons are in short supply, you oughta know that, all the cars have now are them stupid folding things with a wanna-be socket on one end and a little lip on the other to take off the wheel cover...haven't seen a real lug wrench since like mid-70's...
We got plenty of tire irons here, you need one just let me know :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

Nothing beats a classic! "tire irons, cracking skulls since the wheel was invented!"
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
target

Post by target »

That escalated quickly.

neat
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Celt wrote:Nothing beats a classic! "tire irons, cracking skulls since the wheel was invented!"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Theodore Roosevelt
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Nice rifle. It should be fairly easy to convert. The local gun store has one of these and it is a Izhmash receiver just like my Arsenal SGL 21 (AK clone). It looks as if it does not have a threaded barrel, so a muzzle brake may be tough.
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Thanks! As far as I can tell my rifle does have a threaded muzzle. Under the shroud anyways. We will see though. I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to do the conversion yet.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I don't know what the new laws are regarding converting these after the crime bill sunsetted, they may still require compliance under section 922r of the 1994 crime bill. Be sure before you start buying parts. State and Federal laws come into play here, magazine capacity, pistol grips, anything threaded onto the barrel.
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

Do your homework....the feds do.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Yep already got that planned. I've already counted parts to make sure it will be 922r complaint. And the parts I plan to get will be usa made. It will be a compliant rifle when finished :)

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Still has to be 922 compliant once you add a pistol grip or the capability to use high cap mags. There's lots of compliance checklists available online. Basically remove 5 Russian parts listed and install US made. I did trigger group (3 parts), buttstock (4) and hand guard (5) could have done the gas piston as a cheaper part to replace but didn't care for the factory hand guard anyways...
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice Pony. They are nicer converted for sure. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
mrb7

Post by mrb7 »

mogunner wrote:Yeah but tire irons are in short supply, you oughta know that, all the cars have now are them stupid folding things with a wanna-be socket on one end and a little lip on the other to take off the wheel cover...haven't seen a real lug wrench since like mid-70's...

http://www.handsontools.com/Ken-Tool-T1 ... 12467.html

They just don't make tires like they used to, thank God. Fishing the tube out to put a patch on was never a fun job.
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

What about this for zombie killing :D

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)