PU from RGuns

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Blueliner

PU from RGuns

Post by Blueliner »

A few months ago when I caught Mosinitis, I placed a Sniper at the top of my list of firearms to buy. After months of research, most of it from this forum and after careful consideration based on many things including my fascination with history, I decided on buying one from RGuns. It arrived today in a Plano case with the ammo pouches, sling, and bayonet. It was already degreased and the scope mounted. It is need of detailing to get the dust off and a little oiling. The Plano case was a nice surprise and a much better way to ship a rifle than the cardboard boxes.

The stock is rougher than many 91/30s I have seen around especially toward the muzzle end but the butt is very nice and has a pleasant hue to it. It is a 43 Izhevsk. The bore was dirty but a few passes through with a brush, then bore snake and it turned into a bright, shiny bore with excellent grooves. Here are a few pics and I'd love to add more with symbols and other shots but had trouble staying away from glare. Any tips are appreciated. Also, if there is anything that someone wants a certain picture I will do my best to accommodate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WeldonHunter

Re: PU from RGuns

Post by WeldonHunter »

Very nice and a great choice. You'll never regret it. With all the speculation about the recent PUs that have popped up this one will never be questioned as to it's authenticity and provenonce. Now get out and shoot it and report back with pictures. A range report with pictures is now required or we'll send garden Gnomes to visit you. That's never pretty, lol.
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

Have fun .. I love my PU sniper... Doesn't seam right that a Sniper comes with a bayonet tho?

jb
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Yeah you'd think that because they were generally off shooting from a distance but I bet it came in handy. These guys sure look proud to have them. Granted they're PE or PEMs but they did issue bayonets. At least for parade.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice rifle, the real thing is worth paying for :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desert drifter

Post by desert drifter »

:Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: Nice one! You should have posted a "Drool Warning" though so we could have a towell handy when looking at the pics.

Thanks for sharing.

'drif
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Wow, there sure is a lot of drool around here......

Nice rifle. Has the RGUNS "brand" on it and will always be worth the "extra".

Good choice.

Dolk
entropy

Post by entropy »

:vcool: :vcool: Great choice! keep her in top condition, and she'll be ready for your grandkids to enjoy. 8-)

+1 on a range report! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Blueliner

Post by Blueliner »

You will definitely get a range report soon because I am pretty anxious to do one. The weather is supposed to be lousy on Saturday so the outdoor range won't be an option but I will take it to the indoor range I am a member of. At least then I can put rounds through it, even if they are only at 25m. Of course that is also pending receipt of head space gauges that are on the way from Okie Gauges.

I'll combine that with some more pics; my wife told me that I can turn off the flash on the camera I borrowed from her and maybe I can convince her to take the pictures too... Trade her some trigger time with it in exchange for her labor. ;) She's never used a firearm with optics so she will probably dig that.

and thanks for the drool comments. Somehow I knew you guys would "understand" :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: Oh yea!
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
coondawg

Post by coondawg »

:Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: very nice. you will love it. i love mine. i wish i had one more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blueliner

Post by Blueliner »

Case looks familiar too. :) Still need to get some decent pics. Tried last week but failed as I need to work on the lighting. Range report got put on hold until probably 11/9. :(
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sweet :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Blueliner

Post by Blueliner »

This is not the range report you all probably want to see but some real world constraints have left me without a trip to the outdoor range where I could shoot at distance. Time and last weekend, weather have only allowed for two visits to my home indoor range which tops out at 25m. However even at that distance I enjoy blasting away with the M44 and now getting acquainted with the PU.

I forgot a sand bag and decided to use the station bag from my new (courtesy of my wife, for my birthday) 511 Range Bag. The station bag did a nice job in the role but I wouldn't make a habit of it as it it not quite as stable as sand. My first shot missed the paper as did the second. Not knowing where the heck I was hitting I started to watch for the splashes where the rounds would hit the "waterfall" arrangement. Shot three was high into the flow, I made and adjustment and got the next round 12' over center and and 1" right. Two adjustments later and I it close to center and given that I was not shooting at distance decided to leave it close enough for government work and put rounds though it.

For that range I like to use 15' air gun targets. They are small, you get four on a sheet and the background makes for easy spotting of holes. Here is the first set of 5 in the "close enough for government work" 1.25" end to end which was just fine for me.
Blueliner

Post by Blueliner »

My first impression can be summed up with smooth. The trigger is amazingly light, crisp, and it is easily the best rifle trigger I have ever experienced. It reminds me a lot of the single action of my P64 which is at 3.25 lbs. Every time I pulled the trigger, it seemed as though i thought about firing and by the time the thought was finished a round was going down range. Recoil was straight into my shoulder and leaving the scope on target was easy as pie. My M44 is on the bench along side and you can see my improvised sand bag. Its nice to be able to alternate the two rifles like that and I wanted more cooling time, I'd work with my Cz82 a bit.
Celt

Post by Celt »

Very nice and beautiful rifle!. Try taking picts outdoors and set the camera to macro. I do all if my"computer"work and posting from a Droid so it can be done. Can't wait to hear from you when you stretch her out a bit outside! :mrgreen:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

There are sweet aren't they? Very cool. Wait until you get it out on the longer range. :thumbsup:
Blueliner

Post by Blueliner »

My wife loves the M44 and tries to usurp my ownership of it. I do not allow that but do allow her to shoot it. She loves the big sound and muzzle flash that the carbine generates. I've got a beautiful 91/30 waiting for her as a Christmas present. :D

I put about 50 rounds through it and ended up with consistent 1.25" 5 shot groups using relatively fast paced shooting and consistent .75" 3 shot groups taking my time a bit more. I am fully confident that with a proper sand bag, this is a 1 MOA rifle IF I am able to shoot it that well. I am certainly the limiting factor, not the 69 year old technology. To say that I am impressed with the PU is an understatement.
Anyway, sorry for the lack of a LONG range report. As soon as I find a day where I have the time and the weather is at least marginal, I'll do one at 100 and 300m.
Blueliner

Post by Blueliner »

Sweet is exactly the word I'd use. Frankly I was pretty darned surprised. A thought just occurred to me... I have a Mauser that my grandfather sporterized and changed to 30.06 in the late 40's (I wish it were original but it still has sentimental value to me- he passed in 1972). It is a dead solid shooter and I think when I get it out, I'll do a comparison between the two. The Mauser has an advantage with modern, high end loads and a 3x9. But I have a feeling the old commie rifle will do ok compared to it. I've got a few short videos that I will link to later but my wife is the youtube person here and she set them up as private videos and will have to change them so you all can share.
Blueliner

Post by Blueliner »