1942 w/X-sniper stock ? ? ? ? ? ?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
aarbeh

1942 w/X-sniper stock ? ? ? ? ? ?

Post by aarbeh »

1942 91/30 I picked up in a synthetic stock........... ya ya I know you guys dont like that :roll: BUT I plan putting her back into a original stock that came with (you may begin cheering now) :lol:

The guy I purchased it from said "look here you can see the stock got damaged and they patched it with a different piece of wood, these stocks are kinda junky I guess." I agreed with him because my mind was focused on haggling him down to the 100.00 I was gona pay for this 91/30. When I got it home I started looking around at pics and found some 91/30 snipers. Thats when I noticed that the section "patched" non this gun is in the same location that the scope rail went on the sniper 91/30's. I'm no expert but my guess is that this stock is an X-sniper stock that was refitted for a regular infantry rifle. I don't think the rifle is an X-sniper. I don't see any drill or patched drill holes on the left side. In Fact this 91/30 is lacking in many of the punch markings you usually see. Its stamped 1942 and has a "upside down V" stamp below that. My guess on this is in 42 at the height of the war allot of pressure was on them to speed things up and ditch any stampings beyond the year. After a lengthy brushing of the bore it came clean and the rifling looks good all the way down. This will be my trail 91/30 and hunting rifle. The 1930 hex tula I am going to keep locked away for now. Check out the pics and let me know how many lies I am telling :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SmokinTurkey

Re: 1942 w/X-sniper stock ? ? ? ? ? ?

Post by SmokinTurkey »

I'm glad to hear it's going back into the wood stock! It looks like an ex-sniper stock to me and a brass handgaurd to boot! With a good bore I think you did good.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's possibly an ex sniper stock, but these stocks are also prone to cracking in this area, and it could be a repair to fix that.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

Love to hear you plan to un Bubba it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
husker51

Post by husker51 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
aarbeh

Post by aarbeh »

I am gona say its an X-sniper because that's a far more interesting story than a fixed stock.

Will post pics later.
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:It's possibly an ex sniper stock, but these stocks are also prone to cracking in this area, and it could be a repair to fix that.
+1 I agree I have seen that repair on other rifles that I know were not snipers before. I have an M91 that has a field repair done to it to repair a crack in the stock in that exact location. Regardless of whether or not it was a sniper stock, arsenal stock repairs are interesting no matter what.
aarbeh

Post by aarbeh »

Its a sniper X-sniper stock ! until I see proof its not, so it could be and if it could be it is............... it makes perfect sense if you don't think about it.

On a side note: Cabelas has 91/30 snipers ........ not sure how "authentic" they are but at 599.00 they had better be.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

As for the Cabelas snipers, I don't know, and will only pass on what I do know, Rguns snipers are the real deal, they have been authenticated by many PU sniper owners who have bought from them, beyond that I just don't have enough good information to say one way or another.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Just because they are 599 does not mean they are real. Case in point, One of my local stores had a "sniper" for 699. A PU it was and the date was ....39. So ya, uh no. They will put that price on it and try to fool the fools. I am betting it is a century redux. Some places will buy the $379 redos and then put them out for 600 and try to make a buck. :roll:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vomit1: :vomit2: :vomit3: :vomit4: :no2:
Theodore Roosevelt
aarbeh

Post by aarbeh »

Sad part is they know it , but refuse to negotiate on price.........they would rather sell it to the next sucker than give you a fair deal. Not the employees fault just lame sales policies. The following quote comes to mind.

"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it."
- Publius Syrius
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I know it well from selling cra.....quality items on eBay :)
Theodore Roosevelt