Progressively harder cocking

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
audadvnc

Re: Progressively harder cocking

Post by audadvnc »

Harder cocking? Yeah, I have that problem too, every time my girlfriend puts down her Kindle at night and starts getting friendly with me... :devil2:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Juice wrote:I am new to Mosins, just got my first one last weekend. Your normal referb 91/30. I cleaned everything pretty well with boiling water and spirits. Have not fired the gun yet.

After I got all the storage grease off I was working the bolt, dry firing and decocking, and after a handful of times it started to get harder to cock. Once cocked the bolt slide just fine. Then the bolt would not move up unless hit super hard using both hands. I let it sit awhile and tried again, the bolt was easy to cock. But as I did it more it started to get really hard again. I have repeated this a few times over the last few days. I took the bolt apart but I didn't notice anything.

Does anyone have an idea? The only thing I could think of is that it's "sticky bolt" and the friction from the bolt moving a bunch was enough to start sticking. But it's only hard to move the handle up, everything else is smooth.

I don't know a lot about guns, anything would be helpful. Thanks!
A lot of us guys are getting a bit long in the tooth and have experienced exactly what you are speaking of in the bold statement. After a while you become acustomed to it.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
entropy

Post by entropy »

Maybe it's not the rifle...... :wink:

Seriously,sometimes the angle at which the bolt is engaging the receiver will cause it to drag like that; an extreme example of this is the Remington 710. (POS!) Normally I love Remington guns, but the 710 is a dog, IMHO. Pulling upward or downward while moving the bolt in either direction will cause the bolt to stop right where it is.

Your Mosin is a conglomeration of parts from several different rifles, all with different amounts of wear. Couple this with the purposely loose fit of the bolt in the receiver, it is very likely you would encounter increased resistance when working the bolt sometimes. Try to train yourself to pull (or push) the bolt only straight, not pulling up, nor pushing down on it while working it.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Juice

Post by Juice »

entropy wrote:Maybe it's not the rifle...... :wink:

Seriously,sometimes the angle at which the bolt is engaging the receiver will cause it to drag like that; an extreme example of this is the Remington 710. (POS!) Normally I love Remington guns, but the 710 is a dog, IMHO. Pulling upward or downward while moving the bolt in either direction will cause the bolt to stop right where it is.

Your Mosin is a conglomeration of parts from several different rifles, all with different amounts of wear. Couple this with the purposely loose fit of the bolt in the receiver, it is very likely you would encounter increased resistance when working the bolt sometimes. Try to train yourself to pull (or push) the bolt only straight, not pulling up, nor pushing down on it while working it.
That is really good advice. . . but I thought of it too and it seemed to make no deference.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Mosins are not Remchesters. They sometimes need a little love to work right. Here is a short vid of me shooting my 1948 M44. This is an unrefurbed example. Notice the effort it takes to cycle it. I don't think it was ever any better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kUqVmfB6Hk
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis