salvageable 1942 Lithgow Enfield ? ? ?

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
aarbeh

salvageable 1942 Lithgow Enfield ? ? ?

Post by aarbeh »

http://www.armslist.com/posts/630046/eu ... 0-rds-ammo

Would this be salvageable ? Could I put it back in a original stock?

Any advice on Enfields that wiki does not cover? Be my first one.

Thanks
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: salvageable 1942 Lithgow Enfield ? ? ?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This one is in exactly the same condition as one I am about to fix using a stock set I just bought here on the forum. The sights look to be intact, it's a matter of wood and hardware replacement, parts you should be able to find on gunbroker or from Liberty tree.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Lithgow is made in Australia and is an exceptionally well made rifle, I would figure $75-$120 in this condition. The ammo is nice as .303 isn't that easy to find anymore, however if it's got a POF headstamp it's crap, good for bullets only. Okie has .303 headspace gauges.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
aarbeh

Post by aarbeh »

POF?

I will check for that. I think I might pass on the enfield just because like you said ammo is hard to find. I would rather wait and get a Enfield non-sport If its just gona hang on my wall for a WWII collection :) unless he takes me up on the .22 pistol trade then maybe.

Thanks for the advice.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

pakistani ordinance factory i think :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Does not look too bad to me. The ammo appears to be soft point commercial ammo maybe remington. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
aarbeh

Post by aarbeh »

Passed it up. He wanted to trade not sell and my pistol is worth more than his Enfield. He wanted 175 firm. I have a mauser sportster and I don't need another project. i would rather just save and get an Enfield original.

Thanks for the advice ........... couldn't make up my mind
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

aarbeh out of curiosity what kind of pistol? Depending on what you were trading you could probably trade straight across for an original MK III at a gunshow. $175.00 was more than the sporter was worth in my opinion, some would argue it was worth that but form a collector preservationist point of view I was looking at a $100.00 rifle so you were wise to pass on it, though what someone did to it was a real shame.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
aarbeh

Post by aarbeh »

its a Ruger mark II. Its an older .22 but in good shape and great shooter (fast) I see them for 200-400 depending on model and condition. I felt like it was uneven trade for the Enfield. I might have gone for 100.oo but he said he was firm on the price. I would love to trade a Enfield straight across If its a year and condition that I am into, although I am concerned with acquiring ammo in the future.

Another one will come my way. Seems like when you get that itch for a gun you just can't rush it. It will come to you when its ready. As tom petty said "waiting is the hardest part"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Do not trade a Ruger MkII for a sported Enfield! Sell it for full value on GB, or better yet keep it.
Theodore Roosevelt
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Do not trade a Ruger MkII for a sported Enfield! Sell it for full value on GB, or better yet keep it.
:pointup:

aarbeh yes you were smart from walking away from that deal. Like I posted earlier the sporter Enfield is a $100.00 rifle and will probably be available weeks from now for what he's asking so make your offer then. The MK II is a good pistol though if you do really want an original No1 MK III you can probably trade the MK II straight across for one that is complete and original.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
aarbeh

Post by aarbeh »

Thanks guys.

Ya its a good gun. Would only trade it for a real nice K98 or Enfield :)