Another new Mosin

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
tnks2me

Another new Mosin

Post by tnks2me »

Hello again from Oz, any thoughts/info/history on my new acquisition. In particular the stamp on the side of the stock. Appreciate any feedback. Has matching numbers and a very good bore. Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Another new Mosin

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

1942 Izhevsk, nice, I don't know what the stamp on the stock is, it's not the refurb stamp, but then again we don't know what most of the little stamps mean on these rifles, and the Russians aren't telling.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

Very Nice, Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: Is that a Triangle 25 mark by the star?
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
husker51

Post by husker51 »

Do I see an Izhevsk stamp and a tula star on the barrel? Thats a first for me. Nice rifle! :thumbsup:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Nice rifle, and slathered all over in grease. Enjoy cleaning it up.:P
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

husker51 wrote:Do I see an Izhevsk stamp and a tula star on the barrel? Thats a first for me. Nice rifle! :thumbsup:
Many times inspection marks take the form of a possible arsenal marking. The people who might have known what those marks meant at one time are long since dead and buried. Typical refurb with a million marks we may never know what they mean on it. I have listened for years now to a million different theories none of which turn out to be true. Everyone who comes into this hobby has a new theory or thinks they have it figured out but I am afraid it isn't quite that simple! :lol: Bill
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

zeebill wrote:
husker51 wrote:Do I see an Izhevsk stamp and a tula star on the barrel? Thats a first for me. Nice rifle! :thumbsup:
Many times inspection marks take the form of a possible arsenal marking. The people who might have known what those marks meant at one time are long since dead and buried. Typical refurb with a million marks we may never know what they mean on it. I have listened for years now to a million different theories none of which turn out to be true. Everyone who comes into this hobby has a new theory or thinks they have it figured out but I am afraid it isn't quite that simple! :lol: Bill
Or so the Germans would have us believe. :?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Interesting to see that the rifle is as slathered in grease as the most recent crop to come into the states.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tnks2me

Post by tnks2me »

Hello All, Picked up another Mosin, 1942. Any thoughts appreciated. Happy Christmas to all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

1942 Izhevsk, I love the look of that wartime receiver, you have some interesting tiny marks on there, a star, but not Tula, probably all inspection marks. We have no idea what most of the tiny marks mean, and the Russians aren't telling. Merry Christmas to you too :)
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Wow that is really covered in stamps. I like it. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)