My Mosin Video

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
howitzer

My Mosin Video

Post by howitzer »

So because I suck at taking pictures I decided to just make a video of my mosin and describe it a little...along with another rifle I came across. Check it out and hit the like button if you could.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNvUaWqs21E
desdem12

Re: My Mosin Video

Post by desdem12 »

Nice vid!! But DON'T SAND IT. That is how they are supposed to look. It is a weapon of war that was likely used in the defence of russia. To sand it and refinish it would ruin what is a nice historical piece. The one on the wall is a No. 1. You can refinish that one cause it is sportered already. Although i would not do that either. You can get the stock parts for the enfield and return it to military shape. A member just sold a full stock for one for 50 bucks. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
howitzer

Post by howitzer »

Well im shooting tomorrow...if it doesnt release any cosmoline..im going to leave it as is...i dont want to do anything that doesnt need to be done. I just thought if it started going all crazy on me i'd have to
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Drop the sandpaper and stand back. You can ruin 70 Years of history with one stroke. Who hung it on the wall? There might be even more history in who put these here. The Enfield looks to be restorable with a correct stock and some metal parts. Look on the band that the buttstock fits in to on the Enfield and there should be a year and model, it looks to be a No 1 MKIII, stamped there. The BS about the 7.62X54r ammo getting scarce is just that..BS. The Mosin might still bleed grease, Russians didn't use cosmoline, I have some that age and older that have bled grease for years. Just don't wear white to shoot in.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Take it out and shoot it and then clean and see if you don't take a shine to it. Wait to do any thing you will regret later. Like LC says it only takes a little sanding and it is ruined for history. I thought it looked pretty good. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
howitzer

Post by howitzer »

Longcolt44 wrote:Drop the sandpaper and stand back. You can ruin 70 Years of history with one stroke. Who hung it on the wall? There might be even more history in who put these here. The Enfield looks to be restorable with a correct stock and some metal parts. Look on the band that the buttstock fits in to on the Enfield and there should be a year and model, it looks to be a No 1 MKIII, stamped there. The BS about the 7.62X54r ammo getting scarce is just that..BS. The Mosin might still bleed grease, Russians didn't use cosmoline, I have some that age and older that have bled grease for years. Just don't wear white to shoot in.
I know there is tons of this ammo laying around...where I live though...all the stores say they have a hard time getting it in...and one of them hasnt even heard of it. The guys who said they have never heard of it im staying away from...lol thats kind of sad.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Enfield is a No1 MKIII*, this was the rifle used during the Great War, and again later during the second, however by then Canada was producing the No4 MKI rifle at Long Branch. It's sporterized of course, but should still have markings and a date on it. Your Mosin looks just as it should, it requires no work, battle rifles are not supposed to look new. A 91/30 Mosin would cost you $700 in Canada? Enemy at the gates the rifle he used to shoot the German officers during the first ten minutes as they showered is the same one up have there, the sniper version of it is called the PU sniper, same except for the scope with mount on the side of the receiver and the down turned bolt handle.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt