QUICKHELP! It looks like my m39 is starting to rust

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
izhevsk

QUICKHELP! It looks like my m39 is starting to rust

Post by izhevsk »

It looks like my tikka finnish m39s bolt is starting to rust :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
What is the best way I can get rid and prevent it please.
izhevsk

Re: QUICKHELP! It looks like my m39 is starting to rust

Post by izhevsk »

Especially the bolt head, and that's the most important part :'(
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Fortunately this is easy to fix. Take the bolt down and scrub all the rust off and oil. If it has been fired with corrosive ammo use water or windex to wash off salts and then clean the rust off and oil and put it back together. You can use oil and a bore brush or what ever you want on the bolt. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Juice

Post by Juice »

My H&R gets rusty a lot because I use it so much and don't really clean it up often. Take a "rough" rag, or paper towel even, oil it good and rub. You might be surprised how much rust will come off that way.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You shot it already and now it's rusting? If so pour some boiling water over it, let it dry, the heat will speed this along, then oil it up, and keep it that way until the next time you shoot. If you shot it with surplus ammo and didn't pour a quart of boiling water down the bore to wash out the corrosive salts then do that as well, and oil it up with a good wet oil and remove it only to fire the weapon again. If you don't have oil handy you can use the same stuff you put in your car, a whole quart is under five bucks. you can thin it with a little kerosene, or heating oil.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
izhevsk

Post by izhevsk »

I don't want to shoot it XD
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If you haven't oiled up the metal at all then I can see why it's rusting, fingerprint oils are enough to get it started. If the last owner shot it with surplus ammo and didn't clean it properly then the remaining salts in the bore could be causing the rust,
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

Get a little bottle of Gunzilla and test spray a little on a tiny spot and let it sit for a while, like a few hours maybe. I just bought some and seems to do good so far.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Option two is used by museums to keep stuff like this from rusting in the display cases. Take the barreled receiver out of the stock, wipe all the oil off it, pack the bore with axle grease, and they apply car wax to all the outer metal surfaces. This is a time consuming process, and you must be careful to avoid touching it afterward, but it will protect the metal of a display rifle without having to oil it every other day. Use a good grade of wax, they expensive stuff, not the dollar store special.
Theodore Roosevelt