Temporary stocks

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Juice

Temporary stocks

Post by Juice »

It seems to me that the stock of my Mosin might be the only thing I could damage in the field, being that its really old wood. That ATI stock is ugly as sin, and I hate plastic stocks. But it's kinda cheap. Is it truly drop in? Could I put it on during deer season and then take it off with no issues? How does everyone feel about that? I am new here but the whole reason I joined is I agree with the philosophy here.

I'm sure the original stock would be just fine, but I am the guy that fell backwards down a mountain last fall with all my gear. But even as I write this post I am starting to change my mind. I just hate plastic stocks so much.
Cajun

Re: Temporary stocks

Post by Cajun »

I myself hear mixed things about the ATI stocks. Some fit like a glove and some required slight modification to get to fit properly!

You arent altering the rifle and I can understand as to why you'd wanna use a temp stock over the wood stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

It is an acceptable way of protecting your wood stock when using your rifle for hunting. I don't like the look of them either, but the deer won't care much I'll bet! :bwink:

Dolk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It will get the job done, looks like crap, but then it's just a piece of plastic.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I have heard they need a little fitting. I have never tried it myself. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Turks8806

Post by Turks8806 »

I agree with the above statements, it goes either way with those ATI stocks. If you read the reviews on different sites some people say theirs popped in with no problem, other people say it took them an hour to cut and get it to fit right, so its really up to you.
Out of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I hate the plastic stocks too. One thing you may consider is ebay or gunbroker. They have wood stock sets all the time and some are cheap. I have a few I keep around for shooting and hunting with a rifle with a fragile stock on it. I try to get a matching set though because on some rifles the look of a mismatched handguard bugs me almost as much as synthetic for some reason. I reinstall the original when done.
Last edited by racerguy00 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

As long as it is not a permanent change I would be okay with it. Myself if I was concerned about the wood furnitures durability on a particular rifle I either would not use that rifle or would temporarily change the furniture for something that was in better shape. but not a synthetic one. :2cents:
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's unlikely that you will hurt the wood hunting with the original stock on the rifle. What you can hurt very easily is the shellac coating on it. Issued 91/30's rarely have much shellac left on them, this is because as far as durability goes shellac sucks as a stock finish on a military rifle. What it is was easy to apply, and good for preserving the wood in storage. Before cosmoline it was common to see metal machine parts painted with shellac before they were stored away . Add ago to the equation and the Soviets habit of crappy wood prep before shellacking and you have a formula for easy chips, before long your once nice red shellac looks like it's moth eaten.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Juice

Post by Juice »

And my shellac is rough already.

Ugh I just realized to get the barrel bands off I would have to hammer out the front site then out it back on.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Elby sight tool.
Theodore Roosevelt
Juice

Post by Juice »

Nice :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yes, they are, and they work pretty good too :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Juice wrote:And my shellac is rough already.

Ugh I just realized to get the barrel bands off I would have to hammer out the front site then out it back on.
Only on a M44. Not the rest of them.

Dolk
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I have no trouble with ATI stocks and have a 91/59 that often lives in one for hunting purposes. The stock has a tendancy to after about shot number two to shoot low and left but I figure if I shoot twice and miss I deserve it. The action is an orphan I picked up for $30 in the corner of a gun shop years ago. I just awhile back picked up a stock and the metal to go with it for a proper home for the little orphan and I tried it a few months ago and low and behold it shoots just fine in there with no low and left shown at all. So from my experience I would say maybe if you need a full magazine to down a deer then you might fit the ATI stock a bit but really it shoots dead on for the first two and for a hunting rifle that is all that I figure you should need. My little orphan 91/59 is really kind of neat looking in the ATI stock but it shoots better and looks more at home in its more natural wood battle stock. Bill :wink:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

91/59's do tend to make good shooters. :)
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Yupper most Mosins shoot good but the 91/59's great attraction for my is that trigger! Just so nice on most of them! Bill :)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

All four of mine are like that :)
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I am almost embarressed to say I had 10 of them at one time. I was just enamored with the dang trigger I wanted to see if I could get one with a bad trigger! :oops: I never found a bad one and weened myself off them and sold the extras. Now done to about 2 or 3 I think. Bill
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Reminds me of Ter from the old board, he was The Man when it came to 91/59's, I don't know how many he had in total, but he sold me three of his "extras", and I think Ron got one or two also.
Theodore Roosevelt