Decocking Procedure Mosin Nagant

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
catcracker

Decocking Procedure Mosin Nagant

Post by catcracker »

Quick question.

I noticed on my son's MN, the decocking procedure works great. But on mine, I can pull the trigger several times before it will pull the lever down. ( Trigger feels like it is not engaging anything) Everything else seems to be fine. I don't think I will ever need this procedure. But it worries me if everything on a gun does not work as designed. :attn:
Is there something I should check?
Thanks
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Decocking Procedure Mosin Nagant

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

decock it by opening the bolt and ejecting the round, then leave the bolt open,
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

I am confused by what you mean by decocking. Do you mean when you pull the trigger it will not fire?
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

While bolt handle is vertical, move bolt ONE click over towards the closed bolt position. Then pull trigger. Bolt should close on its own. I guess this is a way to have the the bolt closed, and decocked, without having to dry fire it. I don't see a need to ever really do this. But I was just concerned this may be a symptom of something more serious .
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Not a decocking feature. Never do this with a loaded round EVER It doesn't work on all of the rifles and was not an intended "feature". I have never seen it work on the polish carbines and it does not always work on 91/30.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

Huh, I've never tried that on any of mine. I've read the manual a number of times, but must have missed that. I don't know, I'll have to try it on some of mine when I get home tonight. I have stored mine with bolts open with the tension taken off the spring in a "decocked" position, but the only time I "decock" them is unloaded to put them in a gun case. Then I just close the bolt and hold the cocking knob as I pull the trigger.
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

desdem12 wrote:Not a decocking feature. It doesn't work on all of the rifles and was not an intended "feature".
Thank God, I was thinking for a second "How could I have missed that, over and over in the manual?" Thought I was slipping there for a second.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

desdem12 wrote:Not a decocking feature. Never do this with a loaded round EVER It doesn't work on all of the rifles and was not an intended "feature". I have never seen it work on the polish carbines and it does not always work on 91/30.
This :pointup: . I was in the middle of posting about this and this covers everything I was going to say including that my Polish M44 doesn't do it as well as some of my other Russian M44s and M91/30s. Very dangerous and I agree it's a consequential function not intended. I stress Never do this with a loaded rifle. It could be very ugly.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I think almost all have the little click spot. Just past vertical. If it doesn't close nothing is wrong with the rifle. I have used this to test springs though. If it closes and doesn't have the good snap on closing then the spring is a little weaker usually. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I am not sure why it does not work on the polish but i have yet to find one that works like that. :D
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Ok it does release tension on the spring but is not a decocker. I can not stress this enough. It does kind of work on mausers but not the same and also on enfields if i remember right. A little different though as you hold the trigger while closing the bolt. Again not an intended feature as has been bandied about on youtube by uninformed mall gun jockies.
Mike

Post by Mike »

desdem12 wrote:I am not sure why it does not work on the polish but i have yet to find one that works like that. :D
It works on my Polish M44.
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I'm sure that your pole is very broken then :beek: :lol: :lol: IT is the first i have heard of but it could have something to do with the parts in the bolt or otherwise.
My point i want to make is that some people have been spreading this decocking thing around. Happens every now and then. IT IS NOT A DECOCKER, i can not stress this enough. Maybe it works like that maybe it doesn't. On some other type rifles you can release spring tension by holding the trigger and closing the bolt but not a decocker again. This terminology leads to trouble and i have actually seen videos of guys saying this and meaning it. DON"T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU SEE ON THE NET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike

Post by Mike »

desdem12 wrote:I'm sure that your pole is very broken then :beek: :lol: :lol: IT is the first i have heard of but it could have something to do with the parts in the bolt or otherwise.
My point i want to make is that some people have been spreading this decocking thing around. Happens every now and then. IT IS NOT A DECOCKER, i can not stress this enough. Maybe it works like that maybe it doesn't. On some other type rifles you can release spring tension by holding the trigger and closing the bolt but not a decocker again. This terminology leads to trouble and i have actually seen videos of guys saying this and meaning it. DON"T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU SEE ON THE NET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just use it to take the tension off the springs before putting them away. I'm not sure why though, I'm quite sure they were all stored fully cocked for 40 years or while in the crate.
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

desdem12 wrote:I'm sure that your pole is very broken then :beek: :lol: :lol: IT is the first i have heard of but it could have something to do with the parts in the bolt or otherwise.
Message recieved desdem12. I did see this on youtube. And while I did know not to rely on this in practice, I was just curious as to whether my Mosin Nagant was working properly. Looks like some will work, and others won't.

Thanks for the help.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You Tube, the home of Lord knows what, hell, they even let me put shit on there, don't believe everything you see.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

if its on the internet, it must be true rigt? :roll:
mrb7

Post by mrb7 »

desdem12 wrote:I think almost all have the little click spot. Just past vertical. If it doesn't close nothing is wrong with the rifle. I have used this to test springs though. If it closes and doesn't have the good snap on closing then the spring is a little weaker usually. :D

The click spot at the top of the bolt is absolutely necessary. It's how the bolt stays in the home position when you cycle the bolt back or remove it.

There is also a slight bump on the rear ramp on my two rifles that adds slightly to the tension required to get past the point and begin compressing the firing pin spring. I think this is just rough machining during the war years.

I saw the "decocking" info on YouTube. I know the guy I saw was serious, but after critically examining the mechanism to understand it I could tell that this is *NOT* a design feature. It is merely exploiting an anomaly in the behavior of the mechanics.

To everyone's point, if you chamber a live round and miraculously successfully "decock" the rifle without igniting the primer, then you have the firing pin resting directly on the primer just begging for the bolt to get bumped. This is as crazy as carrying a BP cap & ball with the hammer down on a loaded and capped chamber.

The Mosin safety does work if you have gorilla fingers, but it's way better to remove the round.

There, now this is on the Internet, right?

MB
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

One can only hope the advice is seen and followed...
Theodore Roosevelt