My 1st 91/30 Mosin Nagant

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
WeldonHunter

Re: My 1st 91/30 Mosin Nagant

Post by WeldonHunter »

aarbeh wrote:Range report.

Thats a kick! Biggest gun I have fired yet. The 30-30 a close second. Felt good but I can see why people add the extra but pad on the end. I'm long armed so that will be the second adjustment to the gun. First is a dang stipper clip ! The little metal strip for re-loading ya I kept getting the ammo jammed up inside the loading space. Got about 25 rounds down the range but at the end two got so jammed up in there I could figure out how to get them out. When I got home I realized that a on the inside opposite the bolt handle is a small leaf spring that sticks out. the shell ends kept getting stuck in the hole underneath it. I will take pics of what I'm talking about later. Got them out with little trouble. Now for the performance evaluation on accuracy. At 50 yrds was not bad, at least 70% chance I could down a man size or bigger target but it shoots high and to the right significantly ........almost obnoxiously. Two guys with 91/30's showed up and had the same problem and one thought it was because your supposed to shoot with bayonet on, because it changes the harmonics of the barrel. Not sure I buy that but I would rather just order my brass stacker scope mount and sight it in with a scope. Hitting anything past 100yrds with iron sights as is will be 50/50 at best. All in all it was as fun as I hoped and will take some time to work out the bugs but I feel I have a very good chance of hitting a target at 200 yrds with a decent amount of accuracy one I mount a scope.

Any advice, opinions or thoughts are welcome.

It sounds like you were getting rimlock. The interuptor can be adjusted to stop this. In the future if you get rounds that do this you can empty the magazine from the bottom by opening the magazine floor plate.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

All normal, except DON"T MOUNT A SCOPE. :P The guy that told you about the bayo is correct. If you shoot with it mounted it will likely shoot center of target but not likely center of vertical. Maybe though. The thing that is sticking out in the magazine is the interuptor and it needs the space behind it to operate correct. I think if you practice with it more you will be better at it. Of course i still get them stuck every now and then too. You can get a sight tool and move the sight a little and if it is shooting high then get some shrink tube and cut to poa-poi :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
aarbeh

Post by aarbeh »

my Cuz bailed on me so no pictures ........ wasn't anything special about my shooting anyways LOL but for sure tomorrow I'm going back to finish the last 25 rnds.

Here is picture of that dang leaf spring my ammo is getting caught on ........ need to work on that.

the white arrow is the location of the leaf spring (don't know the tech name)

the red arrow is the hole and anchor spot for the leaf spring. (see above)

I think some practice and a striper clip should fix things

I posted this before reading previous post.

I will try the suggestions ...........but my heart is set on a scope but don't worry no drill. I understand that iron sights is good for the range and mostly I just need practice shooting but If I'm going to take this 91/30 hunting I will need a scope. I want to feel confident that the bullet will hit a deer in a kill zone. I would HATE to wound and loose one and I don't plan on hunting with a bayonet hahahaha Hope thats forum respectful :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Yes, that is respectful, and thank you. A scope mount that mounts on the rear sight base is called a scout mount. A long eye relief scope made for a handgun will work well, and scout mount setups have gained in popularity. Ruger makes a scout rifle, and Springfield Armory makes a M1A scout carbine. Then add in the popularity of folks that refuse to ruin their historical relics that have been around longer than most of us (except Zeebill):P

I am sure you caught it already, but what weldonhunter said was spot-on. When you get jammed up, drop that mag plate open and empty the magazine out the bottom. Even if one remains jammed up, you can work it out when you have access to the stuck round from the top and bottom of the round. I try not to forget a small and medium screwdriver when I go to the range. The important thing is to try to empty the gun before bringing it back home. At least the round wasn't in the chamber. When you load without a stripper clip, after you press the cartridge down and it locks give it a rearward nudge to make sure the bullet tip is gonna clear as it is pressed downward by the next round. I tell you, using a stripper clip is no cure all, and on a Mosin causes it's own frustrations.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

One thing to remember about the interupter/ejector assembly is it holds the rounds in the magazine below the bolt. One is below the ejector. That's the top piece that the white arrow is pointing to. What you're calling a leaf spring. The next round below that is held below that round by the tip of the ejector spring. It's what the red arrow is pointing too. If you load 4 rounds pushing them all the way down into the magazine they will stay there until the bolt is cycled forward and pulled all the way back. You may not be pulling the bolt all the way back after firing the rifle. The bolt pushes the ejector in as you pull it back, pushing the ejector spring at the same time which allows the next round to rise and be stopped by the ejector so the bolt can then push it forward into the chamber. To understand this better the next time you're at the range load only 4 rounds pushing them as far into the magazine as you can so they're below the tip of the ejector spring. They'll look like the picture I included below. You can push the ejector in with your finger tip and the next round will rise into position. This is just to show you how it works. Do the same thing, loading only 4 rounds then cycle the bolt forward and all the way back. On the back pull you'll see the next round come up.
I'm not sure if this is what's happening or it's simply rim lock or both from the way you're describing it. I need to see a better picture of the area the red arrow is pointing to. If somethings not right with the ejector spring and that might need to be addressed. Oh and one other thing. To unload the rifle by opening the floor plate of the magazine you need to push up on it then release the spring catch and it should open. The loaded magazine pushes the catch to a locked postion unless you push up on it floor plate.

Interuptor/Ejector Spring pointed out with 4 rounds loaded below it.

Magazine floor plate and catch/release.

This is your picture that I photoshoped to try and lighten the picture up and get a better look at the ejector/interupter spring. It's still to dark. If you can get a picture that shows what it looks like with better light that would help.
aarbeh

Post by aarbeh »

Nice pics! Sound advice from all. I will watch the bullet cycle closer and see what's going on. It looked more like rim lock from what is being described but I am going to try and work out the bugs today at the range.

Thanks again everyone.

hope to have some pics this time.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Rim lock is when the rim of the shell you are loading is caught behind the rim of the next shell below it and it won't go past the other rim. That is why Weldon wants a better foto of the interuptor to see if it is in the right spot or if it needs adjustment, or if it is another problem. Likely if not the way you are loading them then it is a cleaning issue or needs a slight interuptor ejector spring adjustement. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
aarbeh

Post by aarbeh »

AHHH! dang the range is closed today. I will try and get a better pic of that elevator spring weldon mentioned.

I am itching to get a scope on this thing. I was such a terrible shot at 50yrds LOL I think my eyes are getting bad after college and computer games :)

the brass stacker scope mount looks nice but I have watched a few videos of guys that remove the whole rear sight assembly and mount on the 3/8 dove tail rails underneath........... OK! now hold on a sec ! I know this forum is all about keeping things original so I am wondering If this would fall in that category? It seems like It would be an easy tap tap to place the whole sight assembly back on.

Hope I don't get roasted .............. go easy its my first 91/30 :)

I like what this guy did............ and much less expensive bonus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTWDJiJL ... re=related
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I can't see for shit but I could still part your hair with a Mosin at 100 yards, this is due to several decades practice with .30 milsurps. You practice, and I mean case after case of ammo for months and years and you will be shooting well also. You don't just pick up these rifles and instantly become great with them.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
aarbeh

Post by aarbeh »

Ya but I watched Enemy at the gates ! twice!

Stupid hollywood makes it look soooooo easy

vassili zaitsev.............. I am not

But that doesn't answer my question ......... is it going to far ? the sight removal ...... if I can put it back later ?

Respectfully asking
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

aarbeh wrote:Ya but I watched Enemy at the gates ! twice!

Stupid hollywood makes it look soooooo easy

vassili zaitsev.............. I am not

But that doesn't answer my question ......... is it going to far ? the sight removal ...... if I can put it back later ?

Respectfully asking
That depends on whether the sight is soldered on in addition to being pinned. Some are. That and putting them back together is sometimes a real PIA when you remove the whole base. The leaf spring is pretty tough to compress from what I've seen by guys that have removed them or are reinstalling one someone already removed. I've never done it and hope I never have too. Oh and I'm not afraid of mechanical things. I've been a master auto tech. for over 32 years. Oh and if you have one that's soldered and try to remove it, that is a permanent alteration.
aarbeh

Post by aarbeh »

Food for thought. Thanks
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

There are guys that have scopes on their rifles and they like them and maybe they can tell you. Just for fun for those who don't know by now....I hate a scope on a mosin (scout). It looks bad it serves little purpose and really takes some of the fun out of the rifle. It is a pre WWI design and lasted for 120 years now. Take it out and shoot it. clean and repeat, Take it out and shoot it clean repeat. I have out shot many a crappy plastic 5000 useless dollar rifles at the range with a finn mosin and could likely do it with the 91/30. Those guys get mad and wonder what is wrong with their rifles....? It is lack of practice. A scope does not make a tack driver, the shooter does. Practice the trigger, practice the breathing, practice the shot and repeat. That is what makes a good shot. I love to shoot these with the iron sights and i can't hardly see anything on my 50 inch TV. :ugeek: :lol: :thumbsup:
aarbeh

Post by aarbeh »

I have been cruzing the posts and have seen the 91/30 that have scopes. Based on the overall positive responses they received I feel confident what I am imagining for my 91/30 will turn out real nice and very historical at its core. I believe I can update and get the most out of my nagant without taking anything from its past.

Gota Simons 4X28 should work real nice.

Its gona be nice.

Thanks for all the support :) and advice