mauser K98 newbie ? ?

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
aarbeh

mauser K98 newbie ? ?

Post by aarbeh »

I am having fun with my 91/30 these days. Watched enemy at the gates and decided I need a mauser for my collection also.
I know very little about them but I am doing my homework. Could I get some advice on 1930-1942 mausers ? I am looking for something functional yet authentic from that period ie... it need not look pretty or have rare stamps, just fire well and be in good working condition. Can someone point me in the right direction and help me figure out what price would be average for this type of gun ? I think I am interested in finding a russian captured "overhauled" mauser....... woudl that fit the bill ?

Thanks all :)
desdem12

Re: mauser K98 newbie ? ?

Post by desdem12 »

There are a few sites that deal with these but i am not familiar with them. I do know they are pricey. What is your locale and maybe i can point you in a direction. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
aarbeh

Post by aarbeh »

Eugene Oregon. Thanks
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

RC Mausers are the cheapest to buy unless you get one cobbled together.

RC may be $250 to $500 now I think.

A non matched Mauser k98 would start at $400 (?) and go up to around $1500 for a matching.

There are a lot of makers that made the k98. Some are rarer and command more money.

Sounds like you would do well with a RC Mauser. They are good shooters and carry a lower price. You used to get them everywhere, but they are a little harder to find now.

Dolk
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Ok in eugene you probly have a Big 5. They have K98s for sale for 399 and on sale they are $299. This is a great deal and you should look at all they have in stock. Not sure if they still have any but they use to be able to order them regular. If they don't have one in your local store have them search stock from the warehouse and the other stores in their supply chain. I have found that some of the obscure stores have quite the stuff in their back rooms. Some places are not big for guns but when they open the stores they make sure to send out what ever they can. This usually includes K98s, Mosins-even carbines sometimes, M48 and 24/47 Yugos and last but not least california modified Yugo SKSs (no grenade launcher). Another place to look is the new cabelas whereever they put it, can't remember if it is in eugene or salem but still close. They may or may not know what the value of the K98s are and you might be able to get a good deal there. I would try to dicker with them though on their used stuff. Next place i would look is a Big R. They have a nice sporting goods section and you never know what they will have. And also maybe check the Ace hardwares, here (washington) they carry mosins and other firearms. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
aarbeh

Post by aarbeh »

Thanks.
dou44

Post by dou44 »

if we had someone around here selling them for $299 i would be buying afew more.weidners has a few for $429
luke9511

Post by luke9511 »

Tempus Fugit
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

Hmm I might look into one of those vz24s for myself.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I would look for a RC Mauser, the RC is a rifle that was part of the Eastern Front War without question. It's not near as cheap as they used to be, but they are still the least expensive German made K98k Mauser.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt