What Do I Buy First?

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
BubbaDX

What Do I Buy First?

Post by BubbaDX »

After only 2 months of waiting that seemed like an eternity of trips to the mailbox my C&R finally arrived. I was hoping for a shorter wait but fully expected to wait longer, so I guess 2 months is not bad. Now for the most important question EVER! What do I buy first?
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Sgt. Rob

Re: What Do I Buy First?

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Have you noticed the name of our forum? That would be a great start! :thumbsup:

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
drabnor

Post by drabnor »

How much $ do you have?

A little? Buy a Mosin of some sort
A lot? Buy an M1 Garand

just my $0.02
a few old Russian bolt actions
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

Both are on my wish list. I have 2 Mosins but want many many more. I might save a few more dollars and order the M1 Garand for my birthday in a few months. It's been on my bucket list for way too long.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

A Swiss Schmidt-Rubin or K31 is always nice, any Mauser variant, an 1903/1903a3, a SMLE or later Enfied version, a....... (you get the idea)
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Start flipping through the pictures and if you see something you like then go find it. A mauser is an easy one to find as there are a ton ton of varieties and some are inexpensive, and some cost alot also. Fill up the wallet and go to town!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

And don't forget the Finns :Finland:

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

tincansailor

Post by tincansailor »

Ironnewt wrote:And don't forget the Finns :Finland:
I second that! :thumbsup:
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 1970-1973
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Finn M39, Soviet M38, M44 and if you can find one, a 91/59, then a K98k Mauser, K31, and any other Finn Mosin you can find, don't forget an Enfield.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
pacolo90

Post by pacolo90 »

you should buy whatever you're in the mood for right now :) if thats the M1, then go for it! :thumbsup:
"If guns were banned, I'd sure think twice before using one to commit a crime, said no criminal, ever" - unknown
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Don't forget a Garand from the CMP. :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

Well, that didn't take long to decide. I almost click buy on a Chinese T53, I do not have one of those yet. But I could not pass up the sale that Palmetto has going this weekend. I sent them my information today and I can see the charge has hit my checking account. Now to decide if I go ahead and order the T53 also. Something tells me I am going to end up with both.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Glad you mentioned that sale. For me, with shipping it's 105.00 . No bayonet but what the heck. So what if I'm eating peanut butter and jelly for lunch and mustard sandwiches for dinner for two weeks :D :D .
Another delivery I'll blame on my buddy Mac.

Nielsen DK

Post by Nielsen DK »

Ironnewt wrote:A Swiss Schmidt-Rubin or K31 is always nice, any Mauser variant, an 1903/1903a3, a SMLE or later Enfied version, a....... (you get the idea)
I agree, Schmidt Rubin K31 and a Remington 1903A3, both are great to shoot with :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And must it be fun to shoot, one can not ignore the Nagant m-38 :dance:
Mosin Nagant 1891/30 Sniper Izhevsk 1938
Springfield 1903 A3 Remington 7/1943
US Cabine m1 Inland Division 6/1944
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

Ironnewt wrote:Glad you mentioned that sale. For me, with shipping it's 105.00 . No bayonet but what the heck. So what if I'm eating peanut butter and jelly for lunch and mustard sandwiches for dinner for two weeks :D :D .
Another delivery I'll blame on my buddy Mac.
It doesn't mention the bayonet but its pictured with the sling, if you click the picture of the accessories you can see it. Guess well see if one ships with it or not.
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

I just buy whatever that gets my heart to pumping.
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

I assume a gun shop would know how to handle a C&R but what about a chain sporting goods place? Do they have any idea what it is? My local chain has a 1895 Chilean Mauser, that shouldn't even need a nics check right?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

If they are a gun store that wants to stay in business they should know most of it. I have not had too much trouble with that area, it is the over 50 years old C&R thing that i have trouble convincing them of. They want to see it on the list or they won't sell it C&R unless it is a widely known one. Rifles are not too hard but pistols are different. You could always read up on it and go in there prepared, but be nice about it. IF they see you are a regular customer and will buy things they will try to help out better. Not bending the rules but try to make you happy so you will return. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

Brown Santa just dropped off my first C&R purchase. I took advantage of the sale PSA was having on the Mosin Nagant 91/30 and it ended up costing about $105 shipped to my door. What I got was a beautiful 1939 Tula with clear markings and matching numbers. As for the bore, well it has one. It's not counter bored and the riflings appear faded a bit, but it's so full of cosmoline that I cannot get a good look at them just yet. I might have to soak this one to get everything clean. I will post pictures shortly.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The bore needs cleaning, it will probably look better once the crud is out of it. :)
Theodore Roosevelt