TUL ammo

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
waterbaby

TUL ammo

Post by waterbaby »

When I took my 91/30 to the range last week an odd thing happened. The first round I fired had average recoil compared to previous outings, successive rounds seemed much "hotter" and made my shoulder really sore, to the degree that I developed a bad flinch after only 3 "hot" rounds. Wanting to believe it was my imagination I gave my MN to my son to shoot, he too could only stand a few rounds before he began to flinch and had to quit. He was still hurting several hours later. We're both big guys and not particularly recoil sensitive. We've both shot it before quite a bit with no trouble and I put on a rubber pad that I modified to be even softer on in place of the steel buttplate.
Even onlookers commented on the difference in the rounds!
The only thing I can think of is that the powder charge must have been very different. I'm using the cheap TUL ammo, I don't want to put the corrosive ammo in my rifle because I can't always clean it as soon as I get home from the range.
Has anyone out there had this problem of variability with TUL ammo? If so, what ammo do you recommend?
Would a different brand be more consistent?
Thanks
zeebill

Re: TUL ammo

Post by zeebill »

First off what is TUL ammo? Tula made maybe? Cheaper ammo results in less quality control and maybe that is where you are having a problem? That is just a guess till you describe what you mean by TUL ammo. Bill :?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the forum, I have heard complaints about the Tula ammo before, I think that one was about a case failure, first I am hearing about possible overpressure. Stop shooting it, return it to were you bought it and explain the problem, could be a bad batch. I have no idea what the quality control is in these ex commie factory's today, and I lack faith in them. I would rather pay more and buy from Privi in the former Yugoslavia, brass case ammo, and what I have used of it was good quality. I shoot exclusively surplus corrosive primed ammo in my Mosins, I have shot ammo from at least five or six different Iron Curtain countries with no problems. The commies seem to have maintained some level of quality control, they were sloppy, and this shows in the slight variances you see in bullet diameter, and velocity between the products of the various arsenals at different times, but slight is the key word here. These variances show up as a shot group opening up from 4MOA to 6 MOA on the target when you swap from Bulgarian to Russian or whatever, they do not show up as increased recoil. Once I run low on surplus rounds I plan to reload my own rounds, this will give me both non corrosive loads and I will be maintaining the quality myself.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

zeebill wrote:First off what is TUL ammo? Tula made maybe? Cheaper ammo results in less quality control and maybe that is where you are having a problem? That is just a guess till you describe what you mean by TUL ammo. Bill :?
TulAmmo is the commercial made stuff for export. That's how it's marked on the packaging
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

I have some of it also (Edit:185 grain steel case) and it does have a kick but I think its nothing to worry about. The manufacturer is Tula cartridge works. It could be that you got a bad box. Try a different brand and see if that makes a difference. I have shot a bunch of the TULAMMO and had no problems.
Last edited by Three_Dogs on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

I noticed the Tula Ammo to be hot as well. But that really set in after I noticed it was 185gr and not 147gr ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dubois9837

Post by dubois9837 »

Is this the first time you have fired commercial ammo from your mosin? Sometimes the commercial seems like it is loaded hot ( like with prvi partisan - my favorite ). Not sure about Tula. Of course sometimes the opposite is true as with 8mm mauser. May want to check headspace. Remember, if your mosin fails a no go gage but, passes a field gage, it is only safe to shoot with surplus ammo. If it passes both go and no go gages it is safe to use with both commercial and surplus ammo.
Russian 91/30 Izhevsk hex 1924 ex dragoon
Russian 91/30 Izhevsk hex 1933
Russian 91/30 Tula hex 1936
Russian 91/30 Tula 1942 Laminate
Russian 91/30 Izhevsk 1943
Russian 91/30 Izhevsk 1942 Laminate
Chinese T-53
M39 1942 VKT
Yugo M48
More to come.

\
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

If I'm shooting from a bench and not using a recoil pad, I start to flinch after a few rounds.. Standing I can shot all day with out a pad.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I have never tried the Tula but i think i would take a different brand and try both just to see. I hardly ever notice the kick and like the bigger bullets. :D
Last edited by desdem12 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

Yea shootin 185gr from the bench will rock you in no time. Im 6'3 270 and it Rocks me after 5. But shootin standin is like being punch by a baby :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flop-shank

Post by flop-shank »

Were the primers flat and/or was the extraction sticky?
finloq

Post by finloq »

As far as cheap ammo goes, Tula steel cased 230gr 45ACP, works great in my 1911.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I can't speak to the 7.62x54r Tula ammo. I have been shooting a lot of surplus ammo and I try to avoid current commercial lacquer-coated steel case ammo, as it just doesn't seem to agree with these old guns. I shoot the Tula ammo in 7.62x39 in an Arsenal AK pattern rifle I recently bought, and it shoots well. The only current commercial ammo I shoot in my guns is the Privi Partisan brass-cased Serbian ammo which does real well and gives me quality brass to reload. I also like this stuff when I can get it:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... roupid=186

The Novosibirsk ammo is from the same "188 factory" which has made 7.62x54r ammo since before WWII. It is the only non-corrosive ammo I have found that has a copper-washed steel case and bullet weights identical to the Russian light ball ammo you buy in the post-war spam cans from the 70's and 80's. It is just like shooting surplus, but it is new manufactured ammo with non-corrosive berdan primers. Good stuff but more expensive than surplus.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

finloq wrote:As far as cheap ammo goes, Tula steel cased 230gr 45ACP, works great in my 1911.
But if you want to try something really nice, use Federal Gold Medal, 185 gr JSWC. This stuff is really,really nice when someone else pays for it.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

:D Welcome to the thread ! :D

As far as your question goes:
-FMJ 147 or higher-
-SP 185 or higher
or surplus FMJ 147 or higher?????????????? :roll:

Tula, Ishevsk and Barnaul are the today commercial production units and were among others the WWII main producers. So they should know their job. :roll:

I have shot personally >1500 rounds of Tulammo 7.62x39 and I have no idea how many milsurp .54r, corrosive or not, with no prob!

What you are describing to us seems more a gun than an ammo problem. Check head gauge, firing pin extrusion and make a severe check on your chamber, maybe clean it out the way found here on the forum :pointup:

You know, if after the 5-shot normal shooting you would load by a clipper strip another 5 and shoot them; and then you would have a shoulder problem.....think of all the young teeny Russian soldiers having to handle this gun . Maybe your angle gun/shoulder is not right?
A 90 degree angle gives you the full kick, a 60 angle with the butt pulled tight into the flesh short of your shoulder bones will reduce kick by at least 35%, to my estimate......and believe me , I had to go through that, too :vcool:

There are always rubber pads..... :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: I have one! :chuckles:

In General, there is nothing wrong with Tulammo/ Wolf :thumbsup:
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!
neorebel

Post by neorebel »

Never shot the stuff. But my friend who owns the gun (FUN) store here asked me how I liked shooting the Wolf 203 grain soft point.

He was asking because the heaver grain the more powder the more push I suppose.

He knows his stuff and builds great sniper rifles. I kid him a lot when I tell him my PU sniper shoots better than his 1/2 minute of angle guns...he just smiles!!!