M27, bought it!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
The Feral Machinist

M27, bought it!

Post by The Feral Machinist »

I missed out on an M27 a couple weeks ago, but lucked up and found the same one at another gun show.

This fine rifle is a 1932 Tikkakoski, in which, I believe is in all original configuration (correct me if I'm wrong). The stock appears to be a modified M91 stock with the sling slots plugged. It has the first configuration nose cap. The receiver is slotted for a M27 "winged" bolt. The bolt does not have "wings" and has no numbers stamped. The stock unit disk has been removed unfortunately.

The barrel shank has an F stamped on it, but a D also. Would I be able to fire standard surplus ammo thru it or is the bore too small? I thought I read an F indicates a .3095" bore.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I love JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: M27, bought it!

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

See, how many times do I say it, what you miss today you will see again one day, good find :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Beardedbullitz

Post by Beardedbullitz »

Nice rifle :thumbsup:
-Beardedbullitz-
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Excellant FM!!!! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: I am still trying for one of these. Nice find and still on a roll. :Drool1: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

Congrats! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :Drool1: :Drool1:
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Does the front nosecap have a separate flat metal piece with two screws holding it into the wood of the stock? That is the early front nose piece. That dang stock lkooks like someone just took the unit disc out of there, I mean the edges of the machined hole are still sharp as heck from the look of it! Nice find for sure. There are not a great amount of 1934's out in the world today, at least that has been my experience. !932's seem to find their way to me, matter of fact best Mosin shooter I ever had (traded it away like a fool) was a 1932 dated M27. You are lucky to find one of those floating around today! Great eye and find! Congrats! Bill :)
The Feral Machinist

Post by The Feral Machinist »

Thanks guys!

zeebill wrote:Does the front nosecap have a separate flat metal piece with two screws holding it into the wood of the stock?

Bill it does not have a flat bar connecting the nosecap to the stock.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
I love JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR!
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Great early stock. Non-refurb. Does it get any better?
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Nice find. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Dang that is cool! Shame it lacks the unit disc! Like I said that recess for it looks real sharp around the edges to me so it hasn't been gone for too long in the field. Watch the chamber on the first few shots with it. Check the first shell and make sure it closes easily on the shell. If it doesn't you may have to hunt around to find the ammo it likes. The early M27 I have with the unit disc and winged bolt is very finicky as to what it will close on and fire without crimping up the brass. It has the D marked chamber if I am remembering right but still likes just certain kinds of ammo. Looked it up in the logbook and it says F marked with a DC marked front. Without looking in the safe I have no idea what I meant by that gibberish? It is a 1932 dated rifle so it is earlier than that one. You have an interesting mix of early and replaced later parts there! I bet that baby could tell us stories that would keep us up all night! Very Nice for sure! Congrats again! Bill :)
Steve The Pirate

Post by Steve The Pirate »

:Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: Nice rifle. I'm jealous.
Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you're honest with them, then you're an asshole - George Carlin
husker51

Post by husker51 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I also have the M27 with winged bolt, it has no problems with any ammo I stuff in it, mostly commie surplus from Russia, Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, Albania, and Hungary.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I also have the M27 with winged bolt, it has no problems with any ammo I stuff in it, mostly commie surplus from Russia, Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, Albania, and Hungary.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

What would really help would be if I could decipher what the devil I meant by DC front? F marked, that is the chamber reference right? Still asleep here this AM, bad night again! Bill :?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I don't remember, but someone is sure to know if it's something that is known about these rifles.
Theodore Roosevelt
NCMN

Post by NCMN »

Great Find, looks great and it's alot like the one I just found
finloq

Post by finloq »

zeebill wrote:There are not a great amount of 1934's out in the world today, at least that has been my experience. !932's seem to find their way to me,
From ole Fred on gunboards:

This is from a post a few months ago. Numbers compiled by serial number guru Ole Fred: (thanks for the data!)

m/1927 Production Numbers by Year

Lowest Possible Highest Possible
1927 972 1027
1928 11654 11677
1929 702 810
1930 2331 2430
1931 9774 9918
1932 16907 17048
1933 11522 11556
1934 7353 7427
1935 1654 1732
1936 67 75
1937 535 638
1938 616 695
1939 1359 1465
1940 968 1074

IIRC they stopped production in 1934 (at what point, I don't remember) to correct the issues with stock splitting at the nosecap.

Ahh, here we go:

This was a major setback in production of the new m/27 and upon a definitive report on the problem the subsequent manufacture of the m/27 was discontinued immediately. Major General A.S. Heikinheimon was ordered to review the problems. Upon completion of his review he suggested to the Armaments Committee that as of November 8, 1934 any further stock production be halted at the end of the current production run. (48) He further ordered that several repair/modification proposals be looked into to rectify the problems. In 1935 it was decided after various proposals were submitted and considered that a modification of the existing nose cap would solve the problem and was economically feasible. It was also ordered at this time that all existing stocks of weapons would be modified to accept the new nose cap. This newly modified nose cap now had a large steel support leg welded to each side, extending back into the stock in inletted channels of approximately 3 " in length. It was to be retained in the rear of these support legs by a large screw that passed from the right support bar to the left.. The forward retaining screw was also used in the anterior portion of the nose cap. This eliminated the torque applied when the gun was used during bayonet fighting or when the rifle was fired with the bayonet affixed. A modified version of this nosecap would reappear on the later m/39 rifle that would the successor to the m/27. In addition it was decided that the use of the older m/91 modified stocks be suspended and a new heavier forend be grafted to the older buttstocks with the use of a three fingered splice joint. Many older m/91 stocks modified for use on the m/27 were refit with new heavier forends using this technique. These guns required a new heavier rear barrel band as well. This accounts for many m/27’s with new light colored forends and darker well used buttstocks from the original m/91 stock modifications.
Last edited by finloq on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
finloq

Post by finloq »

From Vic:

The other marking that was used on the barrel was the capitol letter "F" which identified the chamber measurements of the "F" designated cartridge. This cartridge used a shallower neck incline as found on early Finnish 7.62x53R ammunition. The final marking of "D" is as outlined above. The final letter code of "D" indicated an alteration of the chamber diameter and shape to accept the Finnish D-166 cartridge that differed very slightly from the "F" chamber. So in review the barrel markings of "A", "F" and "D" were marked on the barrel of the m/27 just above the date and between the serial number to indicate the barrels chamber characteristic and what type of ammunition was capable of being fired through the weapon.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"