Bore Light

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jeremyb

Bore Light

Post by jeremyb »

Well I have to buy yet another bore light. Can't seam to get one that will last.. What do you guys use?

thanks

jb
desdem12

Re: Bore Light

Post by desdem12 »

Well i use what is given me. I guess the 2 strores i go to most wanted me to see a good bore and buy them so i was given 2 from 2 different stores
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
jonnyboy091373

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

I use one of those little lights that has a laser pointer on it as well. You know, the kind you get for your cats.
Starshina

Post by Starshina »

I have two. One that runs on batteries and another that bands and reflects room light in to the bore. I use neither. I just point one end of the barrel towards a light source in the room and look through the opposite end. It may not work for every rifle, but should work for Mosin. You can look from the breach or muzzle end.
Last edited by Starshina on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

Well I just ordered one off of ebay.. Choose one I haven't tried yet.

thanks
jb
mrb7

Post by mrb7 »

rem223 wrote:
jonnyboy091373 wrote: I don't have a cat but that's what I have as well...
What do you do about mice?
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
mrb7

Post by mrb7 »

rem223 wrote:
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

mrb7 wrote:
rem223 wrote:

Chop them fine, and serve in a red sauce over rice.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

jonnyboy091373

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

My cats don't catch mice often, they are just afraid of the dark. Plus they like to chase the laser.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I point the barrel at a strong light source and look in the other end, I have a fiber optic tool someplace, but as usual I can never find it when I need it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I went through so many different types and brands of bore lights over the years and came down with many that proved almost blinding and all seemed to take expensive and hard to find batteries and bulbs. A buddy of mine gave me the answer that has worked just fine for me for years now. I use a small maglite flashlight that fits in a holder the fits on my belt. It is part of getting dressed in the morning so I never forget it and it comes in so handy for a million things in the general sceme of life too. I use rechargable AAA or AA batteries so I never need buy them often, the size of the battery depends on which size light you decide on buying. There is a spare bulb in the back of most of the lights and dropping them usually has little effect as they are super durable. They are sold in most good stores so replacement parts can be found in a hurry if needed. The light they shine is not super bright but can be concentrated by turning the head. The only negative I have found is that often when I ride the motorcycle the jostling I take turns the head and the light goes on aaaaand I never realize it till I go to use it. If home I just take the spare set of batteries and throw them in there and put the dead ones on charge for a day. Saves money and makes replacement parts more available. I had one with the gooseneck for doing gun bores but I lost it and found the thing works OK without it so I never replaced it. Bill :)
hieny

Post by hieny »

:idea: I use a cheap 3-led white flashlight for $3 at Menards checkout!! Works great and the 3 AAA batteries last awhile!!! :idea:
Ruger LC9 (personal CCW)
1942 and 1943 Винтовка Мосина M91/30's.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

A local gunsmith is making bore lights that are just a rubber cup that slides over a mini-mag light and a 90 degree bent piece of what looks like plexiglass solid tubing. It works great and has nothing to break. The diameter of the tube is a bit larger than the normal bore light. I believe I paid him $15.00 for it and felt it was well worth it. When I get home from work, I will post a pic.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Maglight makes something similar to that to fit on it's mini mags, I have one someplace, can't find the dam thing, flashlight or the adapter.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
howitzer

Post by howitzer »

i got a laser pointer at the dollar store that has an LED light on it aswell...works really well.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Just never forget and put it on laser while you are peering in the other end of the bore.
Theodore Roosevelt
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

thanks for the info guys.. I ordered a cheap one from ebay...

jb
Detour Rd.

Post by Detour Rd. »

all you tech junkies. I take a white piece of paper or cloth, open the bolt and insert the paper, shine a light source, daylight even works, and examine from the muzzel. Gives a good non dazzeling source of light.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

So does just pointing one end of the bore at the light directly while looking in the other end. It's what I always end up doing anyway since I can never find the gizmo's anyway.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Maglight makes something similar to that to fit on it's mini mags, I have one someplace, can't find the dam thing, flashlight or the adapter.
Gee that quote sounds so familiar! :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: I'm 68 how old are you? You young dog! :lol: Bill :lol: Dang that made my night! :lol: You did see where I posted I can't find the one I had? Getting old sure sucks but it sure beats the nheck out of the alternative! :lol: