Another C&R question?

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
NCMN

Another C&R question?

Post by NCMN »

I did a search and found most of what I wanted to know, but still have a few questions. I have been doing some research for about 6 months, and looking at c&r guns they seem to be getting less and less? I see several vendors with nothing? I would hate to go to the trouble of getting a license if they are drying up, because I would not be able to afford purchasing everything at once. What I was hoping to spread it out over the 3 year period, and then cancel, that is unless I still havent found everything I wanted. I have never dealt with GB, or anyone except ffl dealers in person, and it worries me a little to do online sales? Also, are the prices listed on several of the sites the same for c&r licenses? Are most of you with buying from GB or from online vendors? Can I legally buy from the sell site on here with a C&R license? Thanks guys just nervous about sending in the completed paperwork :vconfused:
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: Another C&R question?

Post by Darryl »

There are millions of C&R firearms being sold every year. Are they drying up......no. There will undoubtedly be less for sale from countries and their arsenals, but there will always be a huge "secondary" market. There are still lots of rifles not even tapped in some countries like Russia. They will find a way to get them out eventually. But it really should have no bearing on your decision to get a C&R license now. There will be plenty of C&R's for sale in the next three years....or more.

Most "dealers" have the same price for a person with a C&R as one who uses a 01FFL dealer to buy for them. They don't care at all who is buying the firearm. I can only think of one company on the Internet (maybe 2) that gives a break to a C&R dealer. Some sellers like MidwayUSA gives a break to a C&R holder for everything. But for the most part, no breaks.

I'm not sure what your question is on "Can I legally buy from the sell site on here with a C&R license?" Are you talking about the forums "for sale forums?" If so, yes, you can legally buy from there with a C&R if the sale is "legal" in the first place. We don't allow "illegal sales" on the forums.

The reasoning to have a C&R license is easy. It allows you to avoid the costs of using a 01FFL dealer. Some places that is a very small fee, but like here in Calif, that is $75 a firearm. Adding $75 to every firearm I have bought would have meant a I would own a lot less rifles right now. Lets not forget the states fee to transfer it to me on top of that $75.

Remember, the license only costs $30 and you can give it back to the Feds any time you like and destroy all of your records if you like. You are only required to keep the records as long as you hold the license. I know people that get a license, buy firearms, then give up the license and destroy the records. Perfectly OK. And you can go back and get another license again later if you like. When you get a license, you do not have to include your C&R's you already have in the records unless you sell one of them.

Yes, there is a chance of an audit by BATF, but it is very very rare to see one, and as long as you do the paper work (which is very easy to do) you won't have a problem. I have never seen or heard of anyone that is doing what they are supposed to while having a C&R license ever get into any trouble. The BATF is much more interested in 01FFL dealers and is there main focus. I think I have seen one discrepancy that a C&R license holder had during an audit and they were told to correct it and that was the end of it.

If you plan on buying a few C&R's only, I'm not sure I'd bother. But if you are thinking about more than maybe just a couple, It's worth it.

The cost is only $30.......

Oh, if you wear a tin foil hat, you might not want to get one either! :bwink:

Dolk
NCMN

Post by NCMN »

Ok thanks, what I meant was if someone here had a C&R and I had one, could we legally ship each other the firearms without going through a 01 ffl? I understand that you cannot selll for profit, but trading one gun for another? How would that be looked upon? BTW, I dont do illegal stuff and never meant for it to sound that way. FFL transfers are $ 25 here, and I have never even done that. Yes, I do plan on buying several guns, so it would be worth it if I could find the guns wanted. I have a Mosin want list longer enough to make it worth it :D I guess since I have a CWP already the goverment done knows who I am, so thats not a worry.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You would be transferring his firearm into your bound book using your C&R, and he would need to use his to receive your rifle. It's a transaction like any other, but so long as money isn't involved there is no selling for a profit bullshit to worry about.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

NCMN wrote:Ok thanks, what I meant was if someone here had a C&R and I had one, could we legally ship each other the firearms without going through a 01 ffl? I understand that you cannot selll for profit, but trading one gun for another? How would that be looked upon? BTW, I dont do illegal stuff and never meant for it to sound that way. FFL transfers are $ 25 here, and I have never even done that. Yes, I do plan on buying several guns, so it would be worth it if I could find the guns wanted. I have a Mosin want list longer enough to make it worth it :D I guess since I have a CWP already the goverment done knows who I am, so thats not a worry.
Yes. Legal. Only one of you would need a FFL license. The license allows you to "ship" the firearms. Some 01FFL's will not take a firearm shipment from a person that does not have a License of some sort. That is their decision to make, but the law allows for non FFL holders to send the firearm to a FFL holder (01 or 03 FFL). So as long as one of you have the license it would be legal. And with two of you, even better. Even if the trade is not "equal" meaning one person put in a few bucks to make the trade even.

Dolk

PS: I didn't think you sounded like you were doing anything "illegal". I just wanted to make sure everyone else reading this post also understood. :bwink:
NCMN

Post by NCMN »

Ok, sounds good but still have some to learn. If I had a few more years in at my day job, I think I would go for the regular ffl and try my hand at a small business. Someday maybe, but cannot do it right now. I actually filled the c&r paperwork out and got it ready to take to USPS but did not make it today. I appreciate the comments and learned something again.
mrb7

Post by mrb7 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:You would be transferring his firearm into your bound book using your C&R, and he would need to use his to receive your rifle. It's a transaction like any other, but so long as money isn't involved there is no selling for a profit bullshit to worry about.
Can one also sell/ship interstate C&R qualified handguns? Or only rifles? The handgun rifle dichotomy makes a lot of things hard.

I realize that a C&R doesn't mean one can go to Bud's and order up a brand new 1911 and expect them to ship it to your door. A brand new 1911 isn't a C&R. But a Nagant pistol is, as well as a lot of other things.
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
NCMN

Post by NCMN »

yes another good question, Nagant pistol and CZ-82 both C&R and would like to know?
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

I have bought many C&R guns over the internet. I have disposed of one of mine by trading it in for credit on a Mossberg from a gunshop. I would not sell one of my C&R purchases unless I could properly document the buyer. It just makes sense.
I need to double check but I think I would have to ship to either an 01 or a C&R holder. Unless I misread the post I can' use my license to send to a non-licensed person. I can do a FtF sell but anyone can do that as a private sale.
As to who do buy from.
The big milsurp dealers know their stock. The bargain is getting a gun you really like for a fair price that is in a little better shape than you expected. You are getting more or less a wholesale price from the online dealers. They are going to be dirty. So know how to disassemble, check for safe operation and clean those suckers. Check reputations of the sellers. I have had two dealers make mistakes, R guns went beyond what I expected to make it right, Classic arms gave me $20.
It is fun to see a rifle that you paid $340 for on gunbroker in the same shape with the same shipping tags for $490!
We have met the enemy and he is us.
NCMN

Post by NCMN »

Hey I don't mind the cleaning part or disassembly, that is part of what I enjoy doing. It's finding them and getting from trust worthy places that I don't know yet. I am going to go ahead and mail it tomorrow and see what happens. Maybe it will be back for black friday sales.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Yes it includes C&R handguns. But if you are in certain states like California and one or two others, no. You can't use a C&R license to buy a C&R handgun if you live in California. But the stupid part is, If you live in CA and go to another state, they will sell you a C&R handgun and you can carry it back into the state. That's OK.

Go figure!

Dolk
mrb7

Post by mrb7 »

dolk wrote:Yes it includes C&R handguns. But if you are in certain states like California and one or two others, no. You can't use a C&R license to buy a C&R handgun if you live in California. But the stupid part is, If you live in CA and go to another state, they will sell you a C&R handgun and you can carry it back into the state. That's OK.

Go figure!

Dolk

I've moved to, then left CA three times in my life.

I'm too old to ever go back except to visit Disney Land. That's the sanest part of the major metropolitan areas.

Many of the rural parts are awesome, but they don't have enough votes to control Sacramento, so they're trapped in the asylum.

(Apologies to everyone who lives in CA.)

MB
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
NCMN

Post by NCMN »

Well finally got it in the mail today, now I guess it's play the waiting game time.