IT'S HERE, IT'S HERE, IT'S HERE!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Tinstar

Re: IT'S HERE, IT'S HERE, IT'S HERE!

Post by Tinstar »

Went ahead and got a M1895 Nagant pistol as my first C&R FFL piece. Nice Tula 1939 from Classic Firearms. It was so cool having it brought to my front door and just signing for it. Awesome! Filled out my little log book that I got from Amazon and everything is cool! Love it. Now...what next? So much good stuff to choose from! :Drool1:
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

zeebill wrote:I wish you a large bank account to start with, a large safe to keep them in safely and responsibly, a surely divorce free marriage, no inspections when you least want them, error free logbooks when they come, the common sense to know there is real value in quality versus numbers, and a smile at the end of your first audit. :D Bill

The common sense to know there is real value in quantity versus numbers +1 on that statement it is the truth and will build a collection of lifetime keepers and too add one thing, the $10.00 hand select fee has proven for me to be worth it.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Make sure you buy some quantity also, these are the ones you set aside to trade 15 years from now when they are far more valuable and you can use them to get something you want.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

etprescottazusa91 wrote:
zeebill wrote:I wish you a large bank account to start with, a large safe to keep them in safely and responsibly, a surely divorce free marriage, no inspections when you least want them, error free logbooks when they come, the common sense to know there is real value in quality versus numbers, and a smile at the end of your first audit. :D Bill

The common sense to know there is real value in quantity versus numbers +1 on that statement it is the truth and will build a collection of lifetime keepers and too add one thing, the $10.00 hand select fee has proven for me to be worth it.
I think that hand select can be both things, a curse and worthless and a blessing. It just depeneds so much on the effort of the people who you buy from. Buying online is a crapshoot to begin with and I guess the $10 is just part of it. Like I always say I would much rather be lucky than good anyday! Bill :lol:
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Starshina wrote:If you ever run in to legal trouble, which currently includes some misdemeanors, there is no way to protect your collection. You don't have to be convicted before they will come for your guns, only arrested and charged. I would never buy a gun that I have to register. I don't anticipate being arrested, but it doesn't take much. Even a fight with a spouse can do it and that's in effect over a lifetime. I know most of you will disagree, but I heard too many horror stories to ignore that possibility. I would rather pay a transfer fee, then have that Trojan Horse.
If it comes to a fight with your spouse in which a protective order is obtained, you are screwed with or without the license as SWMBO is going to know about the guns and will be happy to tell on you if she's already that ticked. Relative to registering a firearm, don't you think the paperwork you have to fill out at your local gun shop that handles your transfer is a registration?
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Get a big piece of PVC shitterpipe and some end caps, glue them on, stuff a rifle and some ammo in the pipe, bury it someplace out in the woods were you can find it again and you never need worry about not having a firearm should you need it. You can even buy these things ready made now. I know people that paranoid, they wouldn't even use GPS to track the location, saying EMP could knock out GPS and then what?
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Get a big piece of PVC shitterpipe and some end caps, glue them on, stuff a rifle and some ammo in the pipe, bury it someplace out in the woods were you can find it again and you never need worry about not having a firearm should you need it. You can even buy these things ready made now. I know people that paranoid, they wouldn't even use GPS to track the location, saying EMP could knock out GPS and then what?
Haha i've thought about doing that sometime just for the heck of it lol. First I need property. I think the fellow I rent from wouldn't like me digging up his little yard haha. I don't think it is paranoia. More like preparedness. :)

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Starshina

Post by Starshina »

JYD,
I am not worried about being without a firearm, I just don't want to lose those that I have.

Ironnewt,
It's not only spouses, neighbors can get a restraining order as well. Are you going to run away from every fight for the rest of your life, just because it might lead to an arrest? The question why form 4473 is not the same as registration was already answered.
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Tinstar wrote:
Starshina wrote:If you ever run in to legal trouble, which currently includes some misdemeanors, there is no way to protect your collection. You don't have to be convicted before they will come for your guns, only arrested and charged. I would never buy a gun that I have to register. I don't anticipate being arrested, but it doesn't take much. Even a fight with a spouse can do it and that's in effect over a lifetime. I know most of you will disagree, but I heard too many horror stories to ignore that possibility. I would rather pay a transfer fee, then have that Trojan Horse.
By the way...what do you think that you're doing when you pay the transfer fee and fill out that paperwork? Believe me, unless you buy from a private party, your guns are registered!
Many states do an automatic federal registration when you buy a handgun, states like California. So unless the handgun is re registered it stays in the federal data base registered to the original buyer forever. So California moves to Arizona and sells or trades off his California bought handgun to a licensed Arizona Dealer and Arizona dealer logs it into his books and turns around and sells the thing, logs it out of his books to the new buyer, the firearm is only documented to change ownership through the dealers logs and the 4473. The handgun is still registered to the original California buyer since Arizona does not require handgun registration, in AZ it's a 4473 and a ten minute wait, no additional documentation other than the background and the background check does not record the actual firearm, just type. No wait and background if you have your CCW, don't even have to put your SSN on the 4473. In theory registration would get your firearm returned if stolen then recovered but law enforcement agencies rarely go to the trouble to return stolen firearms to the lawful owners so that benefit it minimal.
A dealer is required to keep the 4473 on file for twenty years then can shred it, If you live in a state with only 4473's to fill out and no background checks there is no record other than at the dealer level of what your buying, of course with a CCW they will be pretty sure you own something. I know of a large shop that has been in business for years and shreds the forms everyday after they reach the magic 20 year mark.
An argument with a significant other where the police are called since the mid 90's has been the easiest for sure way for one to lose one's gun rights, it's a federal thing all states must abide by.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Get a big piece of PVC shitterpipe and some end caps, glue them on, stuff a rifle and some ammo in the pipe, bury it someplace out in the woods were you can find it again and you never need worry about not having a firearm should you need it. You can even buy these things ready made now. I know people that paranoid, they wouldn't even use GPS to track the location, saying EMP could knock out GPS and then what?

I was telling my mother about this the other day. We were talking about the future of firearm ownership and I told her a story I heard about someone here in Louisiana that bought a crate of SKS's years ago when they were real cheap and did exactly what you said. Lots of land here and people own hundreds of acres. Plenty of place to bury them. Your idea of the shitter pipe is the best one. Those guncache tubes they sell have a screw on or latch system that I wouldn't trust as much as the PVC pipe glued shut. I'd be willing to bet there's many many many firearms/ammo in the ground all over the country.
evildog

Post by evildog »

Congrats on the C & R license, i'm looking into getting one also. As far as bury your guns, if the time has come to bury them, then the time has come to use them. Pretty simple and no worry about where you buried them..... :devil2:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Just make sure you choose your spot wisely, don't bury it it were metal detectors can find it easily, or were construction is likely to happen, areas prone to floods, and that sort of thing.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Just make sure you choose your spot wisely, don't bury it it were metal detectors can find it easily, or were construction is likely to happen, areas prone to floods, and that sort of thing.
Man i gotta tell you that is wise wise advice. And to remove all those threats i have the perfect place. You all can have your own little "dig" spot out in my backyard. There is no chance of flood as i am on a hill and there won't be any metal detectors and forget about the construction as there is no room. :biggrin: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

Des..I could see you digging and replacing the rifles with sticks..and saying ..you dont know what happened..
:no evil:
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

WHAT>>>WHO ME? :vconfused: I would never do that. :biggrin: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

He wouldn't, because then he would have to meet Victor, Hugo, and Sanchez They specialize in memory recovery. They can help you remember anything, he would remember within two minutes exactly were he put all the rifles for safe keeping :)
Theodore Roosevelt
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I've always said that Gunbroker definitely makes you more 'broker' than before your c&r arrived
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Just providing a nice benefit for my fellow stricken brothers. :shock: :thumbsup: :lol:
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

shoto2758 wrote:Des..I could see you digging and replacing the rifles with sticks..and saying ..you dont know what happened..
:no evil:
Lmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk