Another M1 Garand

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
desdem12

Re: Another M1 Garand

Post by desdem12 »

:thumbsup: :pop: :pop: :pop:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
newcastleadam

Post by newcastleadam »

Cool beans. I've found it's best to double your ammo order, stuff just doesn't last long for some reason :-)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No parts swapping now. :) Getting more Garands is always a smart move.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That rifle is a fine tuned machine, each part in it was inspected to make sure it was in spec and properly fitted to the rifle it's in. Start swapping bits around and who knows what will be out of whack. In any case US milsurps are supposed to be a mix of parts, this is why we never did that serial number on everything crap the Europeans did. Parts were made, dumped into bins or put aside for months until needed, grabbed at random to build a rifle, swapped around in endless refurbishings, all part of the Garands history. IHC had some problems getting up and running, H&R helped out with some parts so it's correct to find H&R parts in a IHC.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

badmusic wrote:Well, I did it. I just dropped the order form and payment in the mail box. Can't take it back now.

This time, I ordered a service grade HRA.

Maybe this time, I'll get all the parts I need to complete my IHC.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I'll let you know in 21 days or so, unless they break the processing speed record. (again)
I'd be worried something would go wrong after what you got the last time. Nobody get's that lucky twice. There's always a first time though. :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Lucky my ass, after seeing that last one I know he's paying someone off over there.:)
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:That rifle is a fine tuned machine, each part in it was inspected to make sure it was in spec and properly fitted to the rifle it's in. Start swapping bits around and who knows what will be out of whack. In any case US milsurps are supposed to be a mix of parts, this is why we never did that serial number on everything crap the Europeans did. Parts were made, dumped into bins or put aside for months until needed, grabbed at random to build a rifle, swapped around in endless refurbishings, all part of the Garands history. IHC had some problems getting up and running, H&R helped out with some parts so it's correct to find H&R parts in a IHC.

Especially since they're from the CMP. They actually have Garand Armorers putting these rifles together unlike the places that humped a lot of the rifles you'd get in the past like Blue Sky.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Blue Sky rifles weren't inspected at all, you got it straight from the South Korean arsenal attic were they had been stored for 40 years :)
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Blue Sky rifles weren't inspected at all, you got it straight from the South Korean arsenal attic were they had been stored for 40 years :)

I heard at one point they were actually putting some together to meet sales including using some of those "two piece" welded receivers.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Rewelds are a 70's thing, never heard of them needing to do that after 1990, they had so many extra receivers that you could buy a nice one for under a hundred bucks, deals on three at once and so on. They probably did build rifles using the leftover parts and busted up rifles. Rewelding a receiver so that it would function at all required skilled labor, it was both time consuming and expensive, not worth the effort when all they were asking was as low as $175 at one point for a Blue sky. That was the lowest I recall paying, $200 the most.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Lets hope it's not a Blue Sky special :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: ,
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

They are not messing around. You Might just see it soon.
NCMN

Post by NCMN »

Good for you, I have been wanting one for over 30 years and havent gotten around to it yet. I have gotten the information together and started trying to buy my first one from CMP. Hard for me to make up my mind, more Mosins or one M1? Let us see pictures when it comes in.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Get the Garand, and then get more Mosins.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

One thing is for sure, unless you abuse it, you won't lose money on it.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Can you imagine a crate of Garands?
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

NCMN

Post by NCMN »

Well, this forum is a bad influence, just send in my order for my first M1 Springfield service grade. Had all the paperwork ready, and thought it was time. :thumbsup:
That first one you got is awesome, I guess you were very happy. I just hope I get a nice clean one.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt