American Bulldog 38 S&W

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

American Bulldog 38 S&W

Post by Darryl »

This is an American Bulldog.
Iver Johnson
American Bulldog
38 S&W (black powder cartridge originally)
Second Model 1885-1899
2 7/16 inches octagon barrel, 16 3/8 ounces, five shot cylinder

Dolk

It could be posted in the black powder section also because originally the ammo used for it was black powder inside. (not recommended you fire 38 S&W modern in it).

desdem12

Re: American Bulldog 38 S&W

Post by desdem12 »

Nice doggy 8-) 8-)
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Love that grip, great shape, ever fire it?
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Nice pistol! 8-) 8-) 8-)
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

etprescottazusa91 wrote:Love that grip, great shape, ever fire it?
No, it was my Fathers and always sat in his sock drawer since I was a boy. I remember seeing it the first time around 1961. My Dad passed and when my Mother was diagnosed with Lewy Bodied Dementia (sort of like Alzheimer) 10 years later, I removed both his gun (the bulldog) and her gun a 32 auto (cheapy) from the house for obvious reasons.

The bulldog did not time out right and you would have to "alien it" before firing it. When I got a hold of it, I took it to the smith and had it repaired. He told me it was not worth it, but I did it any way. I have not had the guts to fire it. That and it takes Black powder cartridges and should not be fired with modern powder ammo.

So, it just sits in my sock drawer. ;)

Dolk

Mom's 32
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I like the dog on the grip of that pistol. They used to put cool stuff on guns. It reminds me of this owl on the buttplate of my Iver Johnson 12 Ga. that my papaw gave me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

8-) 8-) 8-)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

These are the engravings on the sideplates of my grandfathers 1893 LEFEVER 10 ga. SXS.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

You're lucky, and that is a nice one. 8-) 8-)

My grandfathers SxS is in my Brothers hands. Along with his railroad watch.

Dolk
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

8-) 8-)
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
bbekalb

Post by bbekalb »

i have the earlier model iver .38s&W. i have shot one cylinder, and i still have all my appendages.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

bbekalb wrote:i have the earlier model iver .38s&W. i have shot one cylinder, and i still have all my appendages.
:lol:

I don't think they are that dangerous if you use the right ammo. They probably have had a lot of ammo through them.

Dolk
bbekalb

Post by bbekalb »

I used some magtech ammo for it and the only eventful thing was how quit it was.
MoSEEN.Nut

Post by MoSEEN.Nut »

dolk wrote:
bbekalb wrote:i have the earlier model iver .38s&W. i have shot one cylinder, and i still have all my appendages.
:lol:

I don't think they are that dangerous if you use the right ammo. They probably have had a lot of ammo through them.

Dolk
From what I understand, and someone correct me if I am wrong, that .38 S&W (smokeless) has a powder grade and grain selection in it to match the chamber pressure of the old black powder. I have heard there is an international agreement for munitions manufacturers covering such transitions but can't remember what it's called. Will look it up and find out for sure.

If the revolver cylinder locks tight, when cocked, and is "in time" and otherwise in good condition it should handle .38 S&W. However, I wouldn't recommend anyone fire any gun they don't know is in good working condition and has been checked by someone competent if they are unsure. Especially anything that was originally black powder.

One question I do have that someone may be able to answer. I see guns for sale listed as .38 S&W Long. I assume if there is a long then there is a short. Nowhere can I find any mention of .38 S&W long or short when shopping for ammo. It appears that .38 S&W is .38 S&W period. I think there was/is .32 S&W long and short but I am not an ammo expert by any means. Hopefully someone can clarify that on this forum. I guess these questions are a clue to bone up on such matters and get solid information before firing anything.

I have taken my own advice as I have an antique Top Break that the extractor is worn and it doesn't always lock solid when cocked. Kind of loose and therefore almost for sure not in time, every time. I have .38 S&W but not one round is going anywhere until it's fixed or replaced. I am a bit of a coward when it comes to loosing anything that I was born with!!
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

The revolver above was my Dad's. It was in his sock drawer. When I was older (maybe 18 or so) he showed it to me and told me he rarely fired it because the cylinder didn't time with the barrel. He said he had to "cock" the revolver, then move the cylinder around until it locked up, then he could fire it. For the most part, I think it was a sentimental firearm he never fired. I never found out where he got it, but my Brother (5 years older than me) tells me he thinks it was my Dad's fathers (my Grandfather) when he was on the railroad. A cheap pocket gun he carried in case he had trouble on the train (freight). I don't know and I can't confirm that story, so it is just that, a story. No one around except my older cousins that might know that. They are much older than I am. One of these days I'll call them up and ask, they seem to know everything (if you know what I mean :wink: )

I took the Bulldog to the local gunsmith when I took it from my Mom's house years later. He cleaned it up and repaired a part or two in it and it locks up perfectly now. He told me at that time (about 6 years ago now) that it was safe to fire as long as I used the right ammo. "38S&W". He also recommending custom loads using black powder, but said it would hold the newer 38S&W but it is pushing the upper limits of the revolver. He said, "keep it down to a light load if using the newer powder and it will be good to go".

I have never fired it yet, but I felt it was important to not have a "dangerous" non functioning revolver in the house. I think it cost me around $75 to fix (I have spent a lot of money with this guy and I think he did me a favor for that price) and the revolver is only worth about $100 plus. But it was my Dad's. The only mistake I think I made was, he had about 6 rounds of ammo in the drawer with it and I tossed them. I wish I had kept them now.

I think 38 S&W long and short is incorrect. I have another S&W revolver that is 38 S&W. It is like a very short "38 S&W special". I think some call a 38 S&W as 38 S&W short.

Dolk
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Dolk that's a neat gun. It being a sentimental piece makes even better. I'm with you I don't like having non functional or dangerous firearms around the house but more importantly it was your Dad's, maybe even your Granddad's and I'd never feel bad about spending the money to make it functional again. You did the right thing.
bbekalb

Post by bbekalb »

As i've done some serious digging on the subject i may be able to clarify a few things. .38 s&w is a larger diameter then the other .38's. .38 short is probably reffering to .38 short colt. .38 long is also .38 long colt. then we all know .38 special is different
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Here are some real "dirty" numbers. Diameter (at base of case) x length of case. (really dirty!) I am going to redo this later, I'm out of time right now.

.38 S&W.......... .381x .775
.38 Short Colt... .373 x .744
.38 Special....... .375 x 1.155
.380 Auto......... .370 x .678
9mm Mak......... .385 x .708
9mm Luger........ .385 x .756

I went back into my Dad's stuff and found two of his rounds he had with this Bulldog. But I think he had the wrong ammo. They were two rounds of .38 Short Colt, but IJ never made a revolver for that round, it was 38 S&W. I think my Dad had the wrong ammo. Both rounds will chamber nicely in the revolver.

Winchester .38 Short Colt