Lee Enfield No.4 MArk1*

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Lee Enfield No.4 MArk1*

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

We used to have detailed instructions for that setup someplace, must have been on the old forum.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Detour Rd.

Post by Detour Rd. »

Eddystone06 wrote:
just remember, reverse thread!
so thats why I had no success. didnt want to force anything so just left it alone. the book I have says nothing on front sight adjustment.
Tula Neil

Post by Tula Neil »

Hi Detour rd.

Most No4 front sights do not have the pinch screw they are just drifted from side to side on a dove tail.
Detour Rd.

Post by Detour Rd. »

then whats this on the front of the sight.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

He said most, not all.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Simo

Post by Simo »

that is a pre/post war produced front sight. savage and LB used them early on but then as demand grew they went to the pressure type which suck!
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." -Declaration of Independence
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not as convenient maybe, but no worse than the Mosin.
Theodore Roosevelt
target

Post by target »

As far as being the best No.4... I like my Longbranch the most, now that's a good rifle eh?

Just looking at the crown of your rifle, it looks like a sweet shooter. These things are very picky when it comes to stock fit, inherent with the two piece design of the furniture I guess. One interesting thing about the No.4 is that they seem to tighten up the further out you shoot them. Something to do with the bullet not properly stabilizing until it gets quite a ways out there.

My Canadian and American No.4 Mk1* rifles both have the pinch screw, but my British No.4 Mk1 is just a normal dove tail.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

My Savage has the screw, I forget what the Long Branches have, they have been stored away for some time. One is a bit less convenient that the other but both get the job done.
Theodore Roosevelt
Simo

Post by Simo »

target wrote:As far as being the best No.4... I like my Longbranch the most, now that's a good rifle eh?

Just looking at the crown of your rifle, it looks like a sweet shooter. These things are very picky when it comes to stock fit, inherent with the two piece design of the furniture I guess. One interesting thing about the No.4 is that they seem to tighten up the further out you shoot them. Something to do with the bullet not properly stabilizing until it gets quite a ways out there.

My Canadian and American No.4 Mk1* rifles both have the pinch screw, but my British No.4 Mk1 is just a normal dove tail.
it stabilizes at roughly 300 yards depending on bullet, powder and fps of course.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." -Declaration of Independence
7point62

Post by 7point62 »

I know next to nothing about Enfields but they always seem really rough. Which is to say I think your rifle is really sharp to say the least! And what impresses me the most is how tight the muzzle is. I'd be shooting that rifle at my local matches in a hurry!

I have a big soft spot for receiver mounted peep sights like the 1903a3, the Garand, and rifles like yours of course. Really sweet rifle you have. Keep us posted on how it shoots out past 100 yards.

Bill
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Rough Enfield? That is something I have rarely ever seen, Even the Indian 7.62's were not that bad. Rough would apply to some Chinese Mauser's or well used Turks, Romanian M91's sometimes, but not so many Enfields.
Theodore Roosevelt
Simo

Post by Simo »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Rough Enfield? That is something I have rarely ever seen, Even the Indian 7.62's were not that bad. Rough would apply to some Chinese Mauser's or well used Turks, Romanian M91's sometimes, but not so many Enfields.
I agree, "rough" isn't usually associated with a L.E. but that all depends on exactly what he is describing JYD. maybe he came across some with beat up stocks? then I can say it is a legitimate use of the term but if he is describing machining then I would have to say NO WAY!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The British and most of the commonwealth country's have pretty high standards for infantry rifles yesterday and today. I remember how nice all the Australian No1's were when they came in, of course Bubba could have had hands on one.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I think he is primarily talking about the stocks. I have seen a lot of rough stocks, complete with nice smooth receivers and metal.
Detour Rd.

Post by Detour Rd. »

I saw some really rough Chinese Mosins at the Philidelphia National Guard Armory gun show today. The stocks looked like they were dragged on a rocky road. Maybe Korean war capture? What made the whole thing worth it was I found some Lee Enfield stripper clips. And Mosin. Oh yeah, another 440 rounds of Russian in a lead sealed can.
A good day all in all. Hex receiver Mosins and there were a few Snipers :?: for around 5-600 bucks.
Detour Rd.

Post by Detour Rd. »

7point62 wrote:I know next to nothing about Enfields but they always seem really rough. Which is to say I think your rifle is really sharp to say the least! And what impresses me the most is how tight the muzzle is. I'd be shooting that rifle at my local matches in a hurry!

I have a big soft spot for receiver mounted peep sights like the 1903a3, the Garand, and rifles like yours of course. Really sweet rifle you have. Keep us posted on how it shoots out past 100 yards.

Bill
I was putting rounds right near the target at 200 meters. First try out. Lets just say close enough to cause heads to duck. My son did a telephoto video on his camara at the impacts. Amazing what those dititalis camaras can do. I'd have to try to figger out how to attach it here. Standing unsupported.
Last edited by Detour Rd. on Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrb7

Post by mrb7 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:You can mail order JB paste from Brownells or Midway...
The local Walmart here has the Remington 40-X bore cleaner on the shelf. It's decent for a deep cleaner. Not really a paste, but more like Turtle wax liquid polishing compound - thick but pourable. Plus I could walk out the door with it in my hand right then.
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
finloq

Post by finloq »

Sad it is to be ignorant. What is a "pinch screw"?
I have a beauty of a '45 Long Branch with a 5 groove barrel, that shoots sweet. They're nice little tanks. Very solid the No.4 is and very accurate as well.
You might try adjusting the feed lips on your magazine. They were not meant to be removed except for cleaning, some silly American may have practiced slamming it in and out of the rifle and pushed the lips in. The springs are easily replaced as well.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The tiny screw on the front of the front sight base that when tightened prevents the front sight blade from drifting in either direction. You loosen the screw and gentle tap the blade and it will move without needing any real force. The screw required a special tool, but in a pinch thin needle nose pliers will do it.
Theodore Roosevelt