Newbie needs help with this find?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
desdem12

Re: Newbie needs help with this find?

Post by desdem12 »

After you buy about 10 rifles from the shop the gig is up though. :lol: I bought 3 at once form one shop but they still don't have anything i have bought since.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
NCMN

Post by NCMN »

Thought I would mention a few more things about the rifle. My bubba comment was due to the stock, as I had never seen one done like that. The stock has no marks, stamps or anything on it, thought it might be a repro if they exist. Stock has what I would call No finish, it looks natural to me, I was afraid someone had sanded it down, removing the stamps and then filled the hole. The 91/30's that I have seen all look different, more like shelac or poly finished. The guy told the shop owner that the stock was orginal to the rifle as he purchased it and he had done nothing to it. Also, shop owner told me the seller collected MN's and knew them well, and that made me wonder why he was selling it? The shop owner knows me well, and he knows I did not know what it was, we have been friends probably for 15 years. I went up there to buy a 91/30 that he had for $99 just to have one to shoot never dreaming that he would have this one. I know this might upset some folks, but I am not going to shoot it, its going in the safe. Knowing my luck, some of the surplus ammo will blow up in my face if I try to shoot it. I do have one more question, I am going to take it apart tomorrow and check everything out, and put the necessary oil where needed. Do you think I should take more detailed pictures and send them to the forum for review or have yall seen enough already :?:
jonnyboy091373

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

Is water wet? Yes. Do we need more pictures? Yes.
finloq

Post by finloq »

The surplus ammo will be fine, this is a battle rifle and was meant to live and be usefull through much more abuse than you will visit upon it. That being said, if you want to safe check it...that is fine as well. I think that we all have at least 1 safe queen.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Where are the pictures? We could tell you what what if there was pics. The finnish rifles did NOT have shellac or poly on them. It could have a replacement stock on it but there is no fake wood ones that i am aware of. Some have natural finish and some have finn wax on them. It sounds like an honest finn M27 but no one knows with out the photos. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

The natural wood look is common for a Tikka,Dont worry,thats perfect.
Very nice/Great find.
:thumbsup:
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The M27's were a Finnish Army weapon, they would have gotten repairs and upgrades at government expense unlike the Civil Guardsman's rifle that had to be updated at his own expense. This one was probably held in reserve someplace and missed the beating that many took during the war, or it was repaired with a unissued stock that was on hand, one old enough not to have the popsicle stick upgrade to the front band.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
NCMN

Post by NCMN »

Inside stock picture
NCMN

Post by NCMN »

stock front
NCMN

Post by NCMN »

NCMN

Post by NCMN »

NCMN

Post by NCMN »

NCMN

Post by NCMN »

NCMN

Post by NCMN »

NCMN

Post by NCMN »

NCMN

Post by NCMN »

desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice but need shank picture and whole rifle picture too. :vcool: :vcool:
NCMN

Post by NCMN »

Well after taking it apart I didnt find anything that bothered me, very good condition as far as I see it. Bore is very clean and was not dirty at all. Stock has brass looking pillars installed are these the shims that were mentioned? Bottom serial # on receiver matches bottom of barrel. Number at the tang of the receiver confuses me? I am very pleased with this rifle and it has found a home. I thank you all for your help and hope the pictures do not bore you.
NCMN

Post by NCMN »

desdem12 wrote:Nice but need shank picture and whole rifle picture too. :vcool: :vcool:
Ok will try, but shank is referring to what? Rear inside of the receiver :?:
NCMN

Post by NCMN »